Looking for advice on Toronto Mattress Retailers

Hi TMU,

I have recently come across TMU and have been reading through the tutorial, while informative I have found myself incredibly overwhelmed. I did not know of the incredible complex nature of the mattress industry. I have about 50 tabs open and my mind is slowly turning into mush. I am having difficulties locating a local manufacturer to buy a mattress.

My partner and I are moving into a new place and have been sleeping on her +9 year old ikea mattress. It is incredibly warm to sleep in at night and I find myself waking up in the morning with mid-to-lower back pains and just generally restless. We figured now would be a good time to purchase a new mattress. I am 5’7 and about 170lbs she is 5’5 and 128lbs. We sleep similarly on both our stomachs and sides and prefer a med-firm mattress.

I have looked through suggested sites such as Foamite, Dormio, and Silk and Sleep and have found that they do not provide information such as Foamite +45 types of foam but none seem to be dunlop or talalay latex. It seems every company offers some but not all the points when searching for a mattress. I am feeling incredibly stressed, probably more than I should be. I am just looking for a mattress that works for both comfort and durability. I am able to provide any information to help with suggestions.

Thank you

Hi hypnicjerk,

As far as other brands go, while I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences).

We suggest you go to a Retailers - specialty sleep shops or if you have a Trusted Member in your area to try different mattress materials and components. You will then be in a better position to make the decision that is right for your couple.

Please let us if you have any questions after your visits,

all the best

Hi MFC,

Thanks for the advice. I think we’re going to check out what a full organic latex feels like first.
I think I was a little information overloaded yesterday, but thanks to your list I was able to locate a store in my area. For some reason it was difficult for me to find the links you’ve posted on TMU.

Thanks again!

Also,

Are there any stores near the downtown Toronto core, you would recommend to try out a full latex bed?
If you’ve tried one full latex bed is it comparable to trying all full latex beds? or does each company have a unique feel to theirs?

Thanks

Hi hypnicjerk,

Dormio is a trusted member and is in the GTA . Some manufacturers sell dunlop or talalay latex mattresses. They will feel different and you can read up on the differences here:

DUNLOP LATEX VS TALALAY LATEX
Latex is a popular option for creating mattresses, thanks to its comfort and breathability. However, not all latex is the same. There are several different types of latex, and Dunlop and Talalay are two ways of creating the latex foam rubber used in mattresses. Here’s what you need to know about the distinctions between the two and what they mean for you as a consumer.

LATEX BASICS
Latex is a natural material that comes from the rubber tree. When cut, the tree secretes a white, milky substance, which is then processed into latex foam. Through this process, it is possible to generate latex foam that is 100-percent natural and organic. In some cases, manufacturers also add synthetic latex and/or fillers, so not all latex products are organic or even natural. Although it is sustainable, latex is considered a premium material with a relatively high price, so manufacturers often add filler material to reduce costs.

In general, latex mattresses are available in a range of firmness options, and they retain their shape and fullness over the years. The material is naturally anti-microbial and resistant to dust mites, making it a great choice for bedding. The material is breathable as well, helping to keep you cool and comfortable while you sleep.

MANUFACTURING DUNLOP LATEX
The Dunlop process begins with frothing a condensed liquid latex in an oscillating mixer. Once the desired consistency is reached the semi-solid latex is poured into a mold and then baked in an over in a process known as vulcanization. Heating the latex to a precise temperature converts the semi-solid into an elastic foam rubber. The latex rubber is then washed and dried before its ready to be used in organic Dunlop latex mattresses. Since the liquid latex settles into its naturally strongest bonds prior to vulcanization, the Dunlop process tends to result in slabs of latex that are slightly firmer towards the bottom of the foam piece and softer on top. If only all-natural, organic latex is used, Dunlop latex can achieve Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) organic certification.

MANUFACTURING TALALAY LATEX
The process for creating Talalay latex is more modern and is better suited for use with synthetic materials due to their more uniform physical properties. Because Talalay latex often contains synthetic latex and filler, it is not been certified organic by GOLS at this time. Whereas Dunlop latex manufacturing requires filling the foam mould entirely, in Talalay latex manufacturing, the mould is only filled about halfway. Then, the mould is sealed and vacuumed to help the latex expand to fill the entire space. Finally, the mould is frozen to help the latex set into the shape. Most of the other steps are similar to that of Dunlop process. The result is a latex material that is softer and less dense than the Dunlop variety. Due to the vacuuming and freezing processes, the latex doesn’t settle to the bottom of the mould, so the finished product is more uniform in density throughout.

BENEFITS AND DRAWBACKS OF DUNLOP AND TALALAY LATEX
As with any type of mattress, there are pros and cons to each latex category.

PROS AND CONS OF DUNLOP LATEX
Dunlop latex is often used in mattresses for its durability, exceptional support, and ability to bounce back after use. In addition to mattresses, you’ll also find a wide range of Dunlop latex mattress toppers and pillows, helping you get all the benefits of organic latex but at a lower price point. Because the material is all-natural and resists dust and microbes, it is a great choice for allergy sufferers, helping to relieve their symptoms during the night.

The biggest technical complaint people have about Dunlop latex is that the latex rubber isn’t as uniform as synthetically based latex. The natural variations result is less consistent foam when compared to Talalay latex blended with SBR. However, these inconsistencies are also the foundation for the exceptionally resilient surface that creates a sleeping surface that is simultaneously comfortable and supportive.

PROS AND CONS OF TALALAY LATEX
The Talalay latex manufacturing process eliminates the problem of inconsistent foam density, but typically achieves that through the addition of synthetic materials. This results in Talalay mattresses being softer and more consistent overall than Dunlop versions, so this is the choice for you if you prefer a sleeping environment that is as soft as possible and aren’t overly concerned about organic or natural content of your mattress.

The process for producing Talalay latex is much more complex than for Dunlop, consuming significantly more energy and time. This means that the manufacturing process is not as environmentally friendly as you would find with Dunlop latex produced in GOLS certified factories. It also increases the price for Talalay latex even though it uses less input material. Finally, the lower density of the latex foam can also reduce its durability over time.

HOW TO CHOOSE A LATEX MATTRESS
As you can see, there are arguments for buying both types of latex mattresses. So, how do you choose the best latex mattress for you? It all comes down to your personal needs and preferences. Think about your typical sleeping style and comfort requirements, as well as your budget and environmental concerns, to help guide your decision.

All the best,

Amazing,

Thank you once again for taking the time to respond to me with detail!
My partner and I have decided to go with Dormio, they were really knowledgeable and we found their mattresses to be great. It felt like they were really trying to educate us on their products unlike Sleep Country which felt like they were desperately trying to make us buy anything (ie. used mattresses).

Even though the price point at Dormio is a bit steep, we are going to make the investment.

Again, thank you MFC!

Hi hypnicjerk,

That is amazing news! Can you please give us a quick review in a month or so, just to follow up and help others that might be looking for a latex mattress in Canada.

All the best