Looking for an innerspring mattress recommendation

Hi,

My wife and I are in the market for a new bed. We’ve tried a number of different types (thanks for all the great recommendations on this site!) and have found that we tend to prefer innerspring mattresses that are on the firmer end of the spectrum.

We recently visited McRoskey in Palo Alto, CA and found that we really liked their Natural line (https://mcroskey.com/mattress-natural.shtml). Unfortunately, at $8K+, it’s out of our price range. We also liked the Firm Classic (https://mcroskey.com/mattress-classic.shtml) as well, but it’s also on the high end of what we’d be willing to spend.

Do you have any recommendations for where I might be able to find similar mattresses at lower price points?

Also, I recently ordered a bed from Room and Board that doesn’t allow for a box spring (https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/mackintosh-high-footboard-bed). Will this configuration work with an innerspring mattress of the type I’m describing – or should we revisit this decision?

Thanks,
Brett

Hi brvogel,

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In other words … if two mattresses have different designs and materials then your own careful testing or personal experience is the only reliable way to compare two mattresses in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP.

Comparing two mattresses in terms of durability is much more simple and more objective once you know the specifications of all the materials and layers in two mattresses you are comparing (see this article) because making durability comparisons is just a matter of comparing the quality and durability of the materials and components inside it and making sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a reason for concern (see the quality/durability guidelines here). Again though I would always keep in mind that the quality and durability of the materials has little to nothing to do with how a mattress will feel or compare to any other mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, or PPP.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Palo Alto area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

I’m not sure you are clear between the difference between a box spring and a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

Whether your platform bedframe would be a suitable support surface for any particular mattress would depend on the specifics of the mattress and the design of the bedframe. In most cases the manufacturer of a mattress will be a reliable source of information about whether any specific foundation or a platform bed is suitable for the mattress you are purchasing but there is also more information about the different type of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

Phoenix

I too prefer a firm innerspring mattress, after much research and shopping I purchased a Gold Bond Anniversary Firm mattress set from Wayfair and it’s just what I was looking for: very firm, thicker gauge coils (12 3/4) and last but not least - double sided!

The first set I ordered was for my Guest Room, so I could try it out first - I am very happy with this mattress…so I ordered another set for my room to replace a one-sided mattress that I have only had 15 months, it’s one of the major “S” brands that started to sag in the middle after 3 months of use - plus it’s not nearly as firm as I would like - I do realize however that one person’s firm is another person’s soft.

Wayfair also sells a Plush version of this Anniversary mattress.

The Full Set for my guest rom was about $660 - the Queen set is about $740 - but don’t be fooled by the price into thinking it’s a lower-quality mattress because it’s not - it also has a 10-year warranty.

I was just about to give up on finding a mattress that I could flip when I came across the Gold Bond - shipping was free too!

Good Luck

Hi pattycake,

I know you have mentioned the mattress you purchased in several different topics but it would be very helpful if you could also include the density of the foam layers in your descriptions as well because the foam layers on each side of the innerspring are usually the weakest link in a mattress in terms of durability … not the innerspring itself.

Phoenix

Of course - Phoenix you are absolutely right about the foam being the weakest link -

According to the diagram of the inside of the mattress on Gold Bond’s website, the Anniversary Firm is comprised of the following:

the fabric (quilting) on top is described as a “firm top w/polyester fiber”
Underneath that is 2" of extra-firm fiberboard
Then there is a heavy polyester insulator pad - beneath that are 448 12/34 gauge coils (for a queen size)

I did not see any layer(s) of “foam” at all - can this be correct? I assume fiberboard is not the same as foam, right?

This is a very firm mattress to be sure - it is actually called “Ultra Firm” - If it’s too firm for some people I would think a topper of some kind would make it feel softer -

Since I weigh over 200 lbs. :frowning: I was looking for a very sturdy, durable mattress and I believe this one fits the bill (for me!)

Hi pattycake,

Fiberboard normally refers to an engineered wood product that is often used in furniture (see here) but this can’t be what they are referring to since it wouldn’t be suitable for use in a mattress.

It would most likely be their terminology for either a firm polyfoam layer or possibly some kind of densified polyester fiber layer but their website description isn’t clear about what it is.

Phoenix

Amazon also sells this Mattress set - and they also have a little diagram showing the interior of the mattress (and box spring) - theirs describes it as follows:

Belgian micro-quilted fabric (on top)
2 1/2" layers of Firm & Extra Firm foam

Everything else seems to be the same -

So I guess it does have foam -

Also, wanted to mention the price of this mattress set on Wayfair’s website has gone up since I placed my order - a Queen set is now $810.62 - still an excellent price IMO -

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the softest) I would rate it a 3

Hi pattycAke,

These are the specs for the limited edition (not the Anniversary firm) 8" mattress and the Amazon description for the Anniversary ultra firm 11" mattress also says fiberboard in the description.

The only way to to assess whether a mattress is a good “value” choice is by knowing the type and quality/durability of all the materials and components inside it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix -

The description I quoted is what Amazon has for the Gold Bond Anniversary Ultra Firm Queen set - it says “extra firm foam” - not fiberboard, in both the diagram and the descriptive paragraph below - this the for the 11" mattress. I believe what you quoted is from the Full Anniversary Ultra Firm, as it does say “fiberboard” -

Not sure why there is a discrepancy - because it’s the same mattress…just a different size.

This is confusing!

If you type “Anniversary Ultra Firm Queen” on Amazon’s search box you will see what I mean - it does not say fiberboard, but extra firm foam - this is the set that sells for $1099.

Your link took me to the full-size mattress, (no box spring) and it is described as having fiberboard - it’s the same mattress - 11" thick and Ultra Firm -

Anyway. whatever it is, it’s a firm mattress that’s double-sided and so far I like it very much!

Hi pattycake,

They seem to have multiple descriptions for the same mattress but I would want to know the type and quality/density of the material regardless of what it is.

It’s great to hear that you like your mattress but of course a mattress that is suitable for one person may not be suitable for someone else in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and your firmness rating may be different from how someone else would rate the same mattress. I also wouldn’t recommend suggesting a mattress as an option for someone else unless you know the type, quality/density, and durability of the materials inside it so that they can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to their weight range.

Phoenix

Yes - I see your point about the foam density.

It does not say what the density is of the foam - Wayfair’s description of this mattress also says it has the extra firm foam, not fiberboard.

I did read somewhere that a mattress with at least 13 gauge coils (or thicker) would be more supportive of someone in my weight range - and I knew I wanted to go back to a double-sided mattress, but only time will tell.

This is the first time I’ve ever purchased a mattress online - I do understand why someone would be hesitant to buy one sight-unseen - but so far I believe I made a very good choice - I will wait at least 6 months and then give an update.

Hi pattycake,

How “supportive” a mattress may be and the durability of a mattress are completely separate issues. Lower gauge coils are certainly thicker and firmer that the same type of coils that are a higher gauge (especially if they are linked coils rather than pocket coils) but the gauge of an innerspring is only one of many variables that determines the feel and performance and the quality and durability of an innerspring and the weakest link of a mattress in terms of durability is generally in the comfort layers not in the innerspring itself.

I certainly wouldn’t recommend purchasing a mattress where you don’t know the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it.

“Support” is often misunderstood because the goal of a “supportive” mattress is to keep the spine and joints in good alignment and this requires the type of contouring support that allows some parts of the body to sink in more (softer) and some parts of the body to sink in less (firmer) and this will vary on an individual basis. There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “comfort/pressure relief” and “feel” and how they interact together.

Phoenix

PS: I switched our conversation into a new topic of its own because we were hijacking the original topic we were posting in.

Phoenix -

While I don’t know the quality of the components in the Gold Bond mattress, you did comment that you thought I made a better choice than the “S” Brand that I bought last year; also in a post from 08/06/13, you commented that Gold Bond tends “to use higher quality materials in their mattresses” than other larger mattress manufacturers…

Having said that, I think I will contact them and ask for some specifics about their foam - other than the density of the foam and whether or not they use fiberboard, what else do you suggest I ask? Thanks for your insight!

Hi pattycake,

The major brands certainly tend to use low quality/density materials in their mattresses and in general terms smaller manufacturers like Gold Bond do tend to tend to use higher quality/density materials than the major brands (and your mattress is also two sided which would be a more durable choice than a one sided mattress that uses the same materials) but when you are buying a specific mattress rather than talking in more general terms then the only way to assess the quality and durability of the specific mattress you are considering would be by knowing the quality and durability of the materials inside it.

I would always be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

Phoenix