Looking for an Online Site That I've Lost

Hi Folks, I’m looking for a site that I ran into some months back and forgot to bookmark.

It’s place that keeps in mind the needs of people with MCS while also keeping in mind that degree of safety needed and financial resources differ. So they offer a variety of options. And you can mix and match the layers that make up the mattress.

One of the things that I especially liked was that they offer a comfort layer made up of micro coils instead of latex (or synthetic foam). Another was that they offer the option of using a relatively new, relatively safe material that’s a lot less expensive than some of the really, really safe materials out there. (Does anyone have a clue what that material might be? I’ve forgotten that too!)

And best of all their prices are a lot lower than most. (The reason for that was explained on the site, but I forget it.)

Does anyone have an idea of who this is and where to find them?

Thanks!

–Frances

Hi WaterDragon,

[quote]One of the things that I especially liked was that they offer a comfort layer made up of micro coils instead of latex (or synthetic foam). Another was that they offer the option of using a relatively new, relatively safe material that’s a lot less expensive than some of the really, really safe materials out there. (Does anyone have a clue what that material might be? I’ve forgotten that too!)

And best of all their prices are a lot lower than most. (The reason for that was explained on the site, but I forget it.)

Does anyone have an idea of who this is and where to find them?[/quote]

I would need more specifics to know which manufacturer or the type of materials you may be referring to. Most of the information you are providing sounds more like “marketing” information than anything else but if you have any more specifics then it may help to know who you are referring to.

There are a couple of online manufacturers that I can think of off the top of my head that use microcoils in some of their mattresses and have a focus on natural or organic materials but either of them use a “new” type of material that seems to fit the rest of your description. They are …

http://www.berkeleyergo.com/engineered-designs/mattresses.html

There is also http://saatvamattress.com/ who uses a compressed marshall coil in their mattresses but they don’t have the same focus on safe or organic materials as the other two (they use polyfoam and memory foam in their mattresses).

If it’s not one of these then I would need more details to be able to guess who you may be referring to.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Yes, It could be a lot of hype. I’d hoped to go back and have a chance to check it out.

Thank you for the links you provided. Sadly none of them have products that will work for me. The first two are way out of my price range. The third uses foam (made from unspecified materials) around their coils, making price moot.

I wonder: Does anyone make separate support and comfort layers? I know that separate comfort layers are available. But it doesn’t seem to be possible to buy a support layer that doesn’t include a built-in comfort layer; and I don’t seem to be able to find a mattress with a built-in combination that will work for me. Being able to buy them separately might make it possible for me to find a combination that would work.

I can’t afford all organic. Latex and/or foam made from petrochemicals are out of the question. But a support layer made from natural (well washed) materials plus a separate comfort layer made from organic materials might work. Even everything made from natural (well washed) materials would be better than having any latex and/or materials made from petrochemicals.

Have you got any ideas about this?

Thanks again!

–Frances

Hi Waterdragon,

I’m guessing you are referring to what are called “component” mattresses with individual components that fit inside a zip cover where you can choose each individual layer or component separately and where the components or layers can be re-arranged or exchanged after a purchase if you need to make any changes to the comfort or support of your mattress. If this is what you mean then the mattress shopping tutorial here includes a link (in the optional online step) to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of these have a wide range of different types of component kit mattresses.

If you are intrigued by designing your own mattress and buying the individual components separately rather than as a kit that already includes all the components then I would read option #3 in post #15 here first so you have more realistic expectations of success and the learning curve and trial and error (or extra costs of replacing layers if you make any “mistakes”) that can be involved. If you do decide that this is a challenge that you would like to take on then the component post here includes a list of some of the better component suppliers that I’m aware of.

[quote]I can’t afford all organic. Latex and/or foam made from petrochemicals are out of the question. But a support layer made from natural (well washed) materials plus a separate comfort layer made from organic materials might work. Even everything made from natural (well washed) materials would be better than having any latex and/or materials made from petrochemicals.

Have you got any ideas about this?[/quote]

There is more about organic, natural, safe, “chemical free”, and green materials in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may help you decide on which materials you are comfortable having inside your mattress. 100% natural or organic rubber comes from a rubber tree and doesn’t include any synthetic rubber made from petrochemicals (although there are a small amount of chemicals used to foam, manufacture, cure, and protect the latex) but any latex you will come across (either Dunlop or Talalay made with either natural rubber, synthetic rubber, or a blend of both) will have been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s either by Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut for harmful substances and VOC’s to the same standards that are used for natural latex and by most people’s standards or sensitivities would be safe.

Phoenix