Looking for Good Retailers in the Portland, OR

Hi All,

I’m a new member and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for local mattress retailers/outlets in or around Portland, OR.

There is one place I’ve found called “The Mattress Lot” which seems to deal with local manufacturers and has detailed specs listed for all there mattresses (layers used, layer specifications, etc…). So, I was going to start there and was also wondering if there was any positive/negative reviews of this particular place.

This is a great site and I’ve already learned a lot from it. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Thanks!

Hi Maverick76er,

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet … I would make sure you start with the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Portland area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

You are fortunate to live in the Portland area because you have some good options available to you including one of the members of this site which I would make sure you include in your research because they make some great quality/value mattresses.

I’m not familiar with them but they are certainly saying all the “right” things on their website and they seem to fit the profile of the type of retailers I would generally prefer to deal with. Their 45th Street Bedding mattresses would all be high quality and worth considering and some of their other mattresses may be as well depending on the specifics of each mattress and their ability or willingness to provide the information you would need to identify any weak links in the mattress and make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses (see this article).

I’ve added them to the Portland list because of their 45th Street Bedding mattresses and I would be interested in your comments and more specifics about the other mattresses they carry as well.

Phoenix

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply Phoenix!
I will definitely keep you posted on what I find out at The Mattress Lot. I plan to visit them today and/or tomorrow.
Thanks!

Hi Phoenix,

Today I visited both “The Mattress Lot” and “Parklane”, in order to try out a bunch of mattresses as part of the “Initial Feel” test phase. My experience at the Mattress Lot, so far, has been a bit mixed. They have some general information on each layer used in their mattresses on display (printed on little cards in front of the mattresses). There was one mattress in particular that I really liked and pressed for more information. The salesperson did not know the detailed specs, but after some prodding she agreed to call the manufacturer to try and find out the details (and would contact me if the info could be obtained). In doing some investigative work on my own, the mattress looks to be made from “Oregon Mattress Company” in Newberg OR. I believe this is one of the companies you mentioned in your link above: bedcomattress.com. The specs I have on this particular mattress (from the “Mattress Lot”) are as follows:

“Pacific” model
European Pillow Top Quilt Layer
3" Foam Topper Comfort Layer - Soy Poly Foam - (I asked to know the weight and grade of this layer!)
2" Soft Convolute Comfort Layer
1" Latex Foam
2" Support Layer
638 Individually Wrapped 3 Zone Tempered Steel Coils
Foam Encased
CertiPur Approved Foams
$999

I’ve been reading your wonderfully detailed article about polyfoam comfort layers and, as a result, I am a little wary of this mattress based on the following quote:

At any rate, based on your experience with this particular company, I was wondering if you had any advice concerning this particular mattress; or even better, if you had some more information on the types of Polyfoam they use in their comfort layers.

Also, you were totally correct about Parklane - they are a top-notch manufacturer and have very detailed specs available for all their mattresses. Overall, visiting their retail space was a nice experience :). Here were my “initial feel” winners for Parklane:

“Overton” model
Rayon Fabric
Quilting Foam - HD Poly, ¾"
Latex - 1" ILD 19, Talateck 85% blend
Latex - 6" ILD 28, Talallay 100%
$1387

“Belmont” model
Rayon Fabric
Latex - 2" ILD 19, Talateck 85% blend
Mini Marshall Coil - 2.5", ~1000 coils, 15.5 guage wire
Latex - 2" ILD 19, Talateck 85% blend
Mini Marshall Coil - 2.5", ~1000 coils, 15.5 guage wire
Foam Base
$2191

The Belmont model is certainly at the very outside edge of what I’d want to spend on a mattress - but the layers seem to be very high quality, and so it is perhaps justified given that it should be incredibly durable and long lasting.

At any rate, thanks again for all your advice and help!!!

Hi Maverick76er,

I would be very wary of this mattress as well because the weakest link of a mattress is in the upper layers and the specs you listed don’t show the quality of the materials in the top 8" of the mattress. While the 1" of latex is a good quality material (although they don’t provide the type or blend) … the other 7" are missing the information you would need to identify any weak link in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses (see this article).

Unfortunately I am as dependent as you are on the information that is provided by the manufacturer and I don’t know the specifics of the mattress (I did a forum search and none of the other forum members have mentioned it either).

If they provide you with the information and you can list it on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials or let you know if I can see any obvious weak link in the design.

Both of the Parklane mattresses you listed use high quality materials and there are no weak links in either mattress (there are no weak links in any of their mattresses that I’m aware of).

Phoenix

We’re in Portland and were looking for relatively inexpensive mattresses for a new Twin over Full bunk bed, Twin to be rarely used. After discovering this fabulous site (thank you, MU!), I ended up at the Parklane retail space in the Pearl District after looking at their website (good website BTW - easy to navigate). My first choice was the lowest priced latex for the full and the lowest priced coil for the twin. Budget ruled, however, so we ended up ordering 2 of the coil versions - called the Tillamook. In the 10" range of thickness and no flame retardant (they use a rayon fabric - not the same as clothing - that does the trick). Normally in stock, but at this moment about 7 days out. Price for both, with a mattress protector for each one (kids) came to $759. Free delivery (there were restrictions but we met them). 90 day return policy, though a $150 re-stocking fee.

Competitor for me was My Green Mattress, in part because they use a wool top for the fire issue, but of course it was more expensive and wasn’t local. We figured these were only temporary, so we went inexpensive and local. But had a great experience with Parklane.

I was very happy with the salesperson (John, in this case) - I went in twice to get the lowdown, lay down on the different versions, etc. Very simple clear explanations to all questions and differences between each mattress is easy to understand. And, of course, it’s a local company.

Would definitely recommend at least putting them on your list and a visit to the store if the website specs come anywhere near what you want - can’t speak to the other locations, but I assume they’re similar.

Hi nwarhitect,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … and congratulations on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

As you know I think highly of Parklane (and of course they are a member here) and I think you made some great quality/value choices.

Phoenix