Looking for hybrid latex model

My partner and I recently tried out mattresses at our local store in Portland, OR. The mattress we liked best was a hybrid latex model manufactured by Sound Sleep in Sumner, WA. This mattress features a 1" medium Dunlop comfort layer on top, then a .9" medium foam layer, .5" gel memory foam layer, and .9"medium foam layer all over 968 quantum edge pocket coils. I couldn’t find any info on the density of the layers, and the salesperson did not know either.

We are looking for something medium firm. My partner is 5’5" and 185lbs and I am 5’6" and 135lbs. We are combo sleepers but mostly back. I didn’t love the all latex models we tried as I felt they were pushing my hips up and my back was not aligned. I am wondering if the Sleep EZ hybrids will feel more like an all-latex model as the latex layer is thicker? Have you ever heard of anyone else having this issue where they feel their hips are not heavy enough to properly align? I really liked the latex feel otherwise.

Thank you!

Hello Natinaut and thank you so much for the inquiry and I’m so sorry for the delayed response! We submitted a response this weekend but it looks like it didn’t post, and I’m not sure why. Just to help me make a more informed recommendation, do you know the makeup of the latex mattresses you didn’t like? Also, do you know what type of cover the all-latex mattress(es) had, and do you know what type of cover the hybrid mattress(es) had? Were they thicker, quilted covers or thinner, stretchier covers?

Thank you for the response! That’s a great question. The ones we didn’t like were from 45th Street Bedding. The Woodlawn Elite Plush was the most comfortable of the all latex models we tried but still had the issues described. I think I would have preferred something slightly firmer if I were not having the issues with the hips feeling pushed up—it was less noticeable on the more plush models.

Also—both mattresses had thicker, quilted covers.

OK great, thanks for the extra info! Both of our Hybrid mattress models consist of a 3" layer of latex over 8" Bolsa Quantum Edge pocketed coils and a 2" firm 100% natural Dunlop layer below the coils. Both mattresses are flippable, with your 3" comfort layer on top and the 2" firm Dunlop layer below for a more supportive feel.

The Hybrid 360 pillowtop allows you to choose the latex type as well as the density for that top 3" layer. The cover for this model includes a 3" compartment on top that unzips, which allows for layer exchanges if need be. For example, should you choose Medium Talalay for your 3" comfort layer and decide that it is too firm, you can exchange it for a soft layer within the 90-day comfort exchange period. Our 90-day comfort exchange guarantee for this model allows you to exchange layers, one at a time, as many times as needed for 90 days and you only pay the shipping charge each time. Your first exchange is a flat $30 fee and every exchange thereafter is cost of shipping (Averages $30 to $60 each way depending on location).

The regular Hybrid has the same components, the difference being that it is a completely enclosed mattress with no zipper compartment. The top comfort layer is a 3" soft Natural Dunlop latex, which offers a medium-plush feel. Layer exchanges are not available with this model.

A 3" layer of latex over pocketed coils offers a slightly ‘bouncier’ feel compared to an all-latex mattress. The pocketed coils offer both support and contour, while your comfort layer on top provides pressure relief. Based on the information you have provided, I recommend the Hybrid 360 model for you and your partner. I recommend a medium Talalay (Medium-Firm feel) for your side and soft Talalay (Medium-Plush feel) for your partner’s side. At 185lbs the medium layer over coils will provide you with adequate pressure relief for side and/or back sleeping and at 135lbs the soft layer will provide similar pressure relief for your partner. We offer a layer split option for the Hybrid 360 that allows you to customize the feel for each side of the mattress.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out again should you have additional questions. Thanks again, have a terrific weekend!

480-966-8731

Thank you! It is actually my partner who is heavier. I think we both prefer something medium-firm. Can you clarify why you recommend the talalay over dunlop in this case? Based on the notes on your website, I would think that the talalay would be too soft for us as it is naturally softer and we are both back sleepers?

It’s not really that Talalay is softer than Dunlop. Most people and companies say Talalay is softer just because that’s an easier way to explain it. You can actually have a soft Dunlop layer that’s softer or firmer than a soft Talalay and a medium Talalay that’s softer or firmer than a medium Dunlop, etc. The real difference comes down to how they react when being compressed. Talalay is bouncier and springier and is generally better at contour and pressure relief on your hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer and is generally better at support and maintaining proper spinal alignment so our most common configuration is Talalay for the top layer and Dunlop for the bottom 2 layers. We will recommend Talalay for two or more layers for customers that have things like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where they’re sensitive to pressure, or for customers that just prefer a bouncier / springier feel. Outside of those circumstances, a combination of Talalay and Dunlop offers the best chance to be successful for the average person. Again, the best way I can summarize the differences would be to say that Talalay is better at pressure relief on your hips and shoulders and Dunlop is better at maintaining proper spinal alignment and avoiding back pain. However, Talalay can also be helpful in avoiding back pain because it provides more of what we call secondary support. Secondary support fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress. For side sleepers, this is normally the area between a person’s ribs and waist. For back sleepers, this is normally the area between the small of your back and the mattress. If these parts or your body aren’t being held up by the mattress, your muscles will work all night to hold those parts of your body up, which can lead to back pain. Aside from that, women tend to be curvier, especially around their hips, and having a top layer of Talalay can help avoid hip pain and keep the mattress from pushing their hips up, which can also lead to back pain. As such, most of our customers definitely benefit from having one layer of Talalay on top, and Dunlop for the rest of the mattress, but it’s completely up to you what you would like to order.

Just keep in mind you’re not tying your hands either way. If you start with Dunlop and you get any pressure point issues or you feel like the mattress isn’t filling in the gap between the small of your back and the mattress, you can call us within the first 90 days of having the mattress and we’ll send you a Talalay layer for exchange and you can send back the Dunlop layer. The first exchange is just $30. For exchanges, we will ship your layers first, and we will ship them with extra plastic that you can use to package your current layers, and we will ship it with a pre-paid Fed Ex return label. Also, if you will please call us when you are ready to ship your layers back we will schedule a free Fed Ex pick up for you. You will have 30 days after its arrival to return a layer of your choosing, which should give you plenty of time to figure out which layer you want to send back.

Thanks so much for all your help! Just placed our order!

Well thank you so much for the order! I’m sure you’re going to love it, but if there’s anything we can help with please don’t hesitate to reach out, we’re always happy to help!