Looking for information on adjustable beds (for Tempur-pedic)

Hi Guys

I’ve seen some discussion on the Internet on this topic but can’t seem to get clear answers. I am about to pull the trigger on a Tempur-pedic mattress (standard King size). I think I am more or less sold on the adjustable / ergo component of the bed as well. So basically I am looking at buying just the mattress (no box spring of course) and ordering the adjustable bed separately or purchasing it as a set. If I go with the package deal from the big stores… it’s very expensive. However, one of the stores told me the adjustable beds are all made by the same company and going with a non-Tempur-pedic branded version of the same exact thing can save me quite a bit.

Now my Googling seems to indicate that Leggett & Platt is likely the the manufacturer of the adjustable bed. Does anyone know this to be the case for sure? I am finding it’s fairly hard to find a lot on this … probably on purpose. I’ve found two websites that sell the L&P “Prodigy2” adjustable bed… which seems to be the new top tier adjustable bed in the stores. However, it’s literally on just one or two websites. Does anyone know if it’s re-branded as something else? I am trying to save money here. Prices are all over the place but it seems I can easily save $1000-2000 by doing this separately if i can find the right place to buy it from.

Any thoughts/background information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Might try www.adjustamatt.com and see what they have for bases if you haven’t yet.

You are correct that Leggett & Platt seems to be the manufacturer behind the adjustables. I will say that we bought Sealy Comfort Command Premier split-king (2 twin x-longs combined to make an eastern king) many, many years ago and have never had a problem with either base and they are still going strong, whether adjusting, massage functions or remotes. I’m looking for replacement mattresses now for them which is why I’m on this site.

Not sure if quality has changed but just giving you the benefit of the experience with the Sealy brand that we had… Good luck.

Hi newmattressguy & LuckyEnuff,

The Tempurpedic adjustables are made by Reverie (not Leggett & Platt). Ergomotion (who makes the adjustables for Simmons and Serta) and Leggett & Platt are the other two main manufacturers you will mostly encounter.

The adjustable bed thread here may be helpful and also includes links to the sites I use as a value reference.

As you indicated … buying a Tempurpedic adjustable is not good value when very similar models made by the same manufacturer (or made by other manufacturers with similar features) are available for significantly less.

Phoenix

Thanks guys and thanks Phoenix for the correction. That definitely helps quite a bit and explains a bit of where I was off in my research.

Now I am getting a little confused in one more piece of my research. I was told while in stores that the King requires two twin-sized adjustable beds and that they can’t make a single adjustable bed for the king size. However, when I search the web I keep finding the options of King and Split King. The photos for the King ones just show a single adjustable bed and make no mention of two devices… for example:

http://www.sears.com/reverie-deluxe-adjustable-bed-frame-king-size/p-SPM6449607702?prdNo=22&blockNo=22&blockType=L22

Is this just a product of bad descriptions/photo? I am also confused when researching because I find Split King for the same price, more, and sometimes less. It seems Sears website is like Amazon and stocks many people’s items, so I am not sure what I am getting here. There are a bunch of descriptions for similar things at different prices with slightly different part/model numbers.

Is there any definitive guide or good site to getting this adjustable bed? I just want the wireless remote… either the newest top model or the slightly older model… not a big deal to me. I need to for a King. Do I get a split king and sync them or is there really one just made for king? I will not have two twin mattresses but a single king. thanks

The reason to consider the two mattresses is if you have a partner or may eventually have one, it allows both to adjust their beds individually and to run the beds independently of each other. Originally, we picked them because my husband was a restless sleeper and kept me up with his constant movement, but we ultimately found them great for our ability to each do what we wanted with our own side (position, massage, etc.). This included him being a back sleeper and liking his head raised while I wanted to be flat while sleeping. It also provides the ability to has different mattress specs (one firm, one soft) although some manufacturers will do this now on the same mattress. The issue of weight and handling the mattress is also one to consider as I can easily move the mattresses on my own on the xl twins Anyone will tell you that handling a king mattress is more of a two person event. Just giving you something to think about and let you know that sometimes that split king option works very well. If you don’t have to worry about a partner then it’s a moot point. Just voicing things to consider.

Be sure to ask if you can sync both sides on the adjustable bases. In our case when we programmed the remotes we had to unplug one bed and program the remote on the plugged side and then when that was done, reverse for the programming on the other side. We found the remotes will not work simultaneously even though they are on separate wireless frequency. . Maybe they’ve changed in the years and no longer work this way but worth asking. Never tried putting them on the same frequency so don’t know if one will raise both. I’d ask the store to demo that it works before I would assume that it does.

Hi newmattressguy,

All the king sizes are “split” and not a single unit. A picture that shows a single unit wouldn’t be a king size. The prices will also vary widely from place to place so comparison shopping can be important with adjustable beds.

I would look for the specific features that are important to you and then choose the make and model that has those specific features.

All the wireless units can also be programmed to operate either side individually or together as a single unit.

Phoenix