Looking for Latex Topper

I have a European Sleep Works Mattress (6 years old). The Latex pillow topper wore out a couple years ago. I still have the wool topped cover, but not sure if that has worn out as well. I’m looking for a latex topper to replace the one that’s worn out. I have had unexplained hip and shoulder pain ongoing for the last several years since buying this mattress. Wondering if talay or dunlop would be better for me in a topper and how many inches would be ideal? Also best place to purchase. I’m in SF Bay Area. Thanks!

Hello Kellsbells

Thank you for your inquiry! I am very sorry to hear that you are not sleeping comfortably in your bed! I would be happy to assist you in choosing a new topper for your mattress. I would however need to ask a couple questions to better understand what you may need.
The first question I have for you is how much do you weigh? This can help determine what density of foam will provide you with the contour/support you will need. Secondly, are you a side, stomach or back sleeper primarily? Your primary sleep position can also play a factor into which density will suit your needs. Lastly, is your current mattress in good shape, with no dips or valleys? A broken-down mattress can cause you to wake up with pain in many places in the body, and a new topper will not help a mattress that is in bad shape.
I look forward to your reply. If you would like to call our office as well, please do so at 480-966-8731. Thanks again!

Hi,

Sorry to Hijack (I can’t figure out how to create a new post) - but I’m also looking for a latex topper. However I’m in the NYC area.

I have a dixiefoam deluxe superfirm that I bought a few years back after reading this site, my wife and I both think it is a little too firm on top (and she is now expecting, so wanting to sleep on her side) and we would like to add a latex comfort layer on top. Does anyone know of any good places we can go in the NYC area to try out latex toppers?

Thanks
Mike

Hello Mgd150

Thank you for jumpin in! The great thing about the Mattress Underground is that you can jump right into any thread and are very welcome to do so!

There is a company called Savvy Rest that offers latex mattresses and toppers. They are located in or around many major cities in the U.S. Here is a list of stores near or in New York City that carries the Savvy Rest latex:

Bliss Sleep
103 Haygrounds Road Water Mill New York 11976 (631) 885-0075

Green Conscience
33 Church Street Saratoga Springs New York 12866 (518) 306-5196 | Savvy Rest
Financing Partner

Home Green Home
215 East State Street Ithaca New York 14850 (607) 319-4159

Plaza Furniture
121 Front Street Massapequa Park New York 11762 (516) 799-3500

Sleepworks
5068 Sunrise Highway Massapequa Park New York 11762 (516) 804-0123 | Savvy Rest

Financing Partner
The Clean Bedroom
230 Fifth Avenue, Lobby 10 New York New York 10001 (212) 764-3232

Keep in mind that there are also companies such as SleepEZ and the Latex Mattress Factory that offers a 30-day trial period for latex toppers. They ship all over the United States, and do not charge for shipping the topper to you. You can find both companies here:

Let us know if you have any further questions! Happy hunting!

Thanks, Im torn between Talalay and Dunlop. Can you help me decide which is right for us? We’re not super picky, we just want to add a little bit more plushness. We’re thinking of going with a soft ILD rating, between 18-22.

Does the difference in feel justify the extra cost of Talalay?

Thanks again,
Mike

Hi mgd150.

I am always hesitant to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a particular topper (or a mattress in general) and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation in terms of if it would be a good match or if it is worth to you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

If you are not super picky either of them could work for you, but the most reliable way to know how these two options would compare for you (regardless of how they would compare for someone else) is based on your own personal testing and experience. Both would be durable and here are some facts that might sway you one way or another if they are important to you.

Dunlop and Talalay that are the same thickness and ILD won’t feel the same in terms of their firmness for most people, with Dunlop feeling a bit firmer as is compressed deeper. This is because Talalay and Dunlop have a different response curve and compression modulus (how quickly a material becomes firmer as you sink into it more deeply). Talalay has a more consistent and even and stronger cell structure because even though there is less latex overall … the cell walls or “struts” are thicker and more consistent. There is more about the difference between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here .

Having said all that … You can always follow up and go through the list of options that SleepEZ made available to you and you can also peruse through our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.
Sleep EZ and Latex Mattress Factory already mentioned to you that they carry toppers that you could try in your home for a 30-day period that come with free shipping and as both are our Trusted Members here I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them for your consideration. I would add that they have both 2" or 3" Dunlop and NR Talalay toppers of good value/quality and if you call them they’ll be happy to talk you through the specifics of each of their topper options.

Good luck with your choice
Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed response Phoenix.

I ended up ordering the 19 ILD 2" dunlop topper from Latex Mattress Factory. We will use the 30 day trial period to figure out if its right for us.

Hi mgd150.

This seems like a good plan! :slight_smile:
Thanks for the update and keep us posted.

Phoenix