Looking for mattress advice

I need some help/advice. My last two mattresses have been tempurpedics. I had one of the originals (when they were all very firm) and then got a second one about 7 years ago (which wasn’t as firm as the first but still pretty firm compared to some of the options they have now). I had always really loved my tempurpedic mattress but more recently (maybe because I’m in my 40s now?) I am finding it too firm and too hot. I’m an athlete and I’m finding I wake up sore and stiff every morning. So we are looking to buy a new mattress. After doing a bunch of research I decided to try the Loom and Leaf relaxed firm. My husband is a side sleeper and he was complaining that the tempurpedic we had would cause too much pressure on his shoulder. He also really likes pillow tops. I thought the Loom and Leaf might be a good compromise as I do like the feel of memory foam but wanted something that slept cooler. I’m a back sleeper and tend to like a firmer feel but I’m fairly light (5’6", 122lbs). My husband is 6;1" and 165lbs. We’ve only had the Loom and Leaf for a few nights so far and he is quite happy with it while I’m waking up with really bad upper back and shoulder pain, which is something I’ve never experienced before. I know you need at least 30 days to adjust to a mattress but I’m already concerned that this may not work for me. As I was laying on it last night I just kept thinking that it felt “hard and lumpy.” I do like that it it sleeps cooler and the foam isn’t as dense as the tempurpedics so I don’t sink in so much. I went to a mattress store and tried one of the tempurpedic cloud ones that is super soft and that felt awful being sucked so deep into the bed. Had also laid on a latex mattress in the store and liked the feel of that so wondering if that would be worth trying if this doesn’t end up working out. Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.

HI cassandram,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The best advice I can offer you is something to which you already alluded – give the mattress more time. You’ve only had it for a few days and it takes time for your body to adjust to the mattress, and for the mattress to adjust to you to (see post #3 here).

One thing that you may wish to investigate right now is your pillow. Issues in the upper back with a new mattress and the shoulder area are commonly the result of using a pillow that may have worked for on old mattress, but with the way you sink into the new mattress may be different and require a pillow that is thicker or thinner than your old one to maintain a more neutral alignment.

I would combine the pillow analysis along with attempting to get used to your new mattress, and if you do decide to return it, then I would begin your mattress shopping process again, starting with the guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial. If you have questions at that time, we can revisit your specific needs, but I wouldn’t want to focus on that right now, and instead give your current mattress a more complete testing.

Phoenix