looking for mattress dealers/options in NJ

Thanks for posting lot of useful info in your forums.

We are a couple, looking to buy a mattress and don’t want to spend too much as well.
We are from NJ.

Is there any dealer(s) in NJ area you would recommend? We were eye-ing a memory mattress.

Hi batman_for_ever,

As you probably know from reading the forum and from the mattress shopping guidelines here, I believe that local factory direct manufacturers and smaller sleep shops that carry local or alternative brands … both of whom tend to have the knowledge, skills, and ability to help you make much better choices in materials and construction … are usually your best source of quality and value.

I’m not sure what city in NJ is closest to you so I can’t give you specifics for your area but post #7 here and post #4 here will likely be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for your quick response. I will keep you posted of the mattress I buy.

Hi Phoenix,

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Ultra/dp/B006FLUIB4/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1336007715&sr=1-2

Though I have read your views reg “Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress - King Size Ultra Plush” in other posts, I wished to ask you the following, I hope it helps others as well who are looking at this mattress:

1. When it comes to Talalay latex, do all latex mattress use the same quality of latex?

2. This mattress uses 5.5 inch 2.35 pound high density - But it is not stated if the Foam is Certi-Pur, also it is not stated who makes this foam. Based on your other posts, it looks like this not a good sign since foam specifications are not fully mentioned.

3. On a different note, I don’t find much details about the manufacturer (Dreamfoam bedding) when I search it online.
    Only information seems to be in amazon.com in the reviews posted. This also seems a bit strange to me.

4. How is Dreamfoam bedding able to offer this mattress at this price($699 + Free shipping)?

Appreciate if you could share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi batman_for_ever,

Good questions :slight_smile:

There are only two manufacturers of talalay latex you are likely find in North America. One is Latex International and the other is Radium (from Holland). Both of these are good quality and equivalent to each other. There are another 2-3 other talalay latex producers in China but they are not generally seen in North America and that’s it worldwide for Talalay. This one uses Latex International.

My biggest concern with certified foam (CertiPur, Oeko-Tex or other valid certfications) is with memory foam because it is the type of foam that is most likely to cause issues with offgassing because of the way it is made. While it is also a good idea to have certified foam with polyfoam as well, IMO it is not as big an issue. North American produced polyfoam is all good quality IMO. In this case though, the foam is from a CertiPur certified manufacturer.

Dreamfoam bedding is just the name they are using for Amazon. They are actually produced by a mattress manufacturer that I know well and is actually a “hidden” member of The Mattress Underground. I have talked with John many times since well before the Amazon offerings were started… Their main site is being upgraded and when this is done they will be a listed member (their membership is already paid and accepted). The Amazon offering is just a “branding” name and is being done at a “special” price until their main site is up to date and as a means of creating a brand identity for the manufacturer.

1. How is Dreamfoam bedding able to offer this mattress at this price($699 + Free shipping)?

Two reasons mainly. One is that it is an online special price and the profit margin is very small. The second is that he is very good at finding some good sources of materials.

Normally I would be more hesitant with an offer like this but in this case I know the manufacturer (and he is also known by others that I respect as well). There is quite an “insider” group of independent manufacturers who have been in the industry and who have known each other for a long time … in some cases through several generations.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

you said:

“Normally I would be more hesitant with an offer like this but in this case I know the manufacturer (and he is also known by others that I respect as well). There is quite an “insider” group of independent manufacturers who have been in the industry and who have known each other for a long time … in some cases through several generations.”

I’m sold. Thanks so much for your help.

Hi sanantoniomike,

You’re very welcome :slight_smile:

Phoenix