Looking for Mattress in Chicagoland area

Hello,
I like so many here am looking for some guidance in selecting a new mattress. I have spent a few weeks off and on reading through much of the material here, and it is very helpful. We need to try to do something as soon as we are able, so I have decided it is time to post here on the forum for advice. I have certainly expanded my knowledge with the reading here, but am far from knowing as much as I need to. I will try to list as much relevant information from our end as possible.
My wife and I are both predominately back sleepers who do alternate to our sides periodically. We are in the 200-230 weight range. She does not like memory foam such as Tempurpedic. I think we might prefer something with good coils, good comfort, but on the firmer side of support. The wife has back issues, and I sometimes have soreness but not to the point it is an issue. We currently have a motionless waterbed that we have used forever it seems. We love the comfort but not the “permanence” of its location, and doubt it is good for her back.
I would appreciate a reference for a local manufacturer in good standing with the site here. I am hoping to stay closer to the $1000 mark, knowing that could be a challenge, but would certainly consider paying more for the right mattress. Our Zip code is 60548, which puts us about an hour and a half from Chicago. I would prefer to avoid going all the way into the city if possible, hoping there might some choices in the outlying area. If not then we will go where our best options are.
I have also taken a long look at some of the newer online options. Saatva was the first and is still something I have not ruled out. It seemed based on the comments from Phoenix in a related post that the mattress itself is not a bad choice, but that there were some qualms about the comparisons to higher end models that seemed misleading. The price and quality along with the convenience make it appealing, however I am left with the distinct impression from the post that there are better options in local stores that would present a better value. I also have checked out Yogabed, but this appears to be memory foam which the wife would prefer to avoid. Casper is another that seems to some positive buzz surrounding it, but again I would prefer to explore better values locally if they are available.
Any direction that could be offered would be greatly appreciated, as I already appreciate the site and the information it offers.

Thank you
David G

Hi decay69,

I’m glad you found us … and welcome to the site :slight_smile:

You’ve probably read this already but just in case you haven’t the first place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones. If you follow each of the 5 steps (or the optional online step if you are also considering online options) one at a time you will have the best possible chance of success and you will always know what’s next in your research.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of within 100 miles of the Chicago area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in posts #2 and #4 here and if you are in reasonable driving distance I would make sure you include My Green Mattress/Quality Sleep in your research. They are one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

You’ve already seem my comments about Saatva (which can be summarized as "better than average quality/value compared to most mainstream manufacturers but for most of the members here probably wouldn’t be the “best value” choice)… You can see some of my comments about the “one choice fits all” mattresses you mentioned in post #3 here.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix and the rest of the Mattress Underground Community. I felt I owed it to forums to relate our experience shopping for our mattress based on the advice given to us here. We were interested in Quality Sleep Shop from the beginning. I fully expected that trying to decide on a mattress between my wife and myself would be a tough process. I can say that Kathy and the rest of the team at Quality Sleep Shop were fantastic. We were able to spend ample time testing out the different style of mattresses, finally deciding on the Emily, with the wife adding a latex topper. We also chose the adjustable bed supports to sit up and also raise the feet which we love. Within the week we received our delivery by the very friendly truck team. We wanted to give it some time to sleep on them and report the results. After over two months, we can both say we love our beds and are totally satisfied with our choices. We hope these beds last us for some time. The folks at Quality Sleep Shop in La Grange IL were friendly, knowledgeable and super helpful. We can strongly recommend them to anyone in the area looking for a great mattress at a sensible price. Thanks to the folks at QSS and to Phoenix and everyone here at Mattress Underground!

If there is a thread specific to QSS here, please feel free to add this post to the reviews for their store and product. They deserve the accolades.

David & Donna G.

Hi decay69,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about your mattress and Quality Sleep Shop … I appreciate it!

Your experience is very similar to the many other forum members that have purchased there and as you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Now that you are past the break in and adjustment period you can expect to be sleeping well on your mattress for many years.

Your comments and feedback are fine in your own topic and all the forum comments about Quality Sleep Shop will show up on a forum search and since you are the newest they will be close to the top of the search results for a while.

Phoenix