Looking for Mattress in Melbourne Florida (32903) Area (outside Orlando).... stuck with sagging Serta =(

Looking for mattress good stores in the Melbourne Florida area (32903). We currently have a king size icomfort Serta, that is a terrible mattress. Its supposed to be memory foam but has created two giant indentations where both my wife and i sleep. We jokingly say that we cant cuddle because we are stuck in the pit… its highly disappointing since we paid about 1600 for it!

Anyways i like a firmer mattress so I wasn’t really feeling the memory foam, but we have two young kids so having a mattress that doesn’t disrupt the person next to you has been a nice feature (maybe the only nice feature). Anyways any stores or mattress we should be checking out in our Area? I only saw fox mattress in Daytona listed on your membership list but thats almost 100 miles away. Thanks again! How do you feel about the Original Mattress Factory?

Hi estcstm3,

Unfortunately your experience with a major brand mattress is all too common because the major brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) tend to use lower quality materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay and I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (and the major retailers that focus on them) along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

They certainly make some good quality/value options that would be well worth considering but there is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Melbourne, FL area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #4 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions that you may have along the way that I or any of the other more knowledgeable members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

thanks ill give those a look. Im a stomach sleeper and the wife is a back/side…

Hi estcstm3,

If the depth of any visible impressions in your mattress (that you can see when you aren’t on the mattress) are greater than the warranty exclusion then it may be worth pursuing a warranty claim although it’s likely that you may have the same issues fairly quickly because of the lower quality/density and less durable foams that they generally use in their mattresses.

Some people that were successful with a warranty claim have sold their replacement mattress still wrapped in plastic to recover some of their original cost and used it towards purchasing a better quality/value mattress.

If you are purchasing another mattress then I would also make sure that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that you have confirmed can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix