Looking for my first "real" mattress with my soon to be wife, have a few questions/thoughts.

I’m getting married in a few weeks and we’ll be moving in together at that time. I have a queen mattress, a cheap innerspring I’ve had for 10+ years, she has a really old full size mattress. We’d like to get a king size together. I’ve been intrigued by some of the memory foam/latex mattresses I’ve seen online like the Leesa, Ghost Bed, and Tuft and Needle, but I just don’t know much about them. I’ve spend several hours researching on here and trying to figure out what would work best for us but there’s just so much information to choose from. I originally thought we’d want an innerspring with a foam top. We went to a chain store and found a few we like, but after reading on here that’d definitely not the route we’re going now.

My questions are these:

1. Are the Leesa, Ghost Bed, Purple, and Tuft and Needle good mattresses? The reviews are pretty great on all three but what kind of mattresses are they and what should I consider when choosing one of those brands or others?
  2. We wouldn’t have a frame, box spring, platform or any other type of support for this bed. What should we consider getting if we make a purchase of one? I saw this one recommended on Tuft and Needle. Thoughts? Don’t know much about boxsprings but should we get one or use something else?
  3. I currently live in the Seattle Tacoma area, would location around here have an indy mattress store so we can go try some out. I saw this post about stores in seattle area, but didn’t see any that would have one I mentioned above.
  4. Besides what the brands mentioned above, I’m having a tough time narrowing down my choices for us. All the online ones seem like a good option, but I can’t try any out. Should I just take the chance and purchase one? I haven’t gone anywhere locally to see what we like. Hopefully I can do that soon.

this got big quick, but thank you for your time! :slight_smile:

Hi miles4,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

There is more information about the type and quality/durability of the materials in all three of the mattresses you mentioned and many of the other what I call “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here and post #1 in the same topic would be worth reading as well.

While again I can’t speak to how well you will sleep on any of the mattresses you mentioned because the only way to know will be based on your own experience when you sleep on it … in terms of durability the Ghostbed and the Tuft & Needle would be suitable for those that are in a BMI range under 30. I would be cautious with the Leesa because the 2" of 3 lb memory foam in the Leesa is a lower quality/density material than the minimums I would generally suggest in the guidelines here and I would consider it to be a potential weak link in the mattress although the 2" of Avena polyfoam above the memory foam would improve the durability of the memory foam somewhat compared to having the same lower density memory foam in the top layer of the mattress.

One of the advantages of trying mattresses locally is that you can try many different types and styles and combinations of materials and components and firmness levels and compare them to each other in “real time” based on your actual experience rather than just “theory” instead of trying one mattress at a time and not knowing how it compares to the other mattresses that you could have tried or purchased instead.

There is no such thing as “one mattress fits all” and any specific mattress may be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of people, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet but the only way to know for certain whether a mattress you end up choosing will be a “good enough” match for you to keep it (even if it isn’t the “best match” out of all the mattresses that you “could have tried” instead) will be based on careful testing in a store and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

Many online mattresses (including the ones you mentioned) have a good trial period and return policy so you can try them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk (outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it if that becomes necessary or any costs involved in the return process) so if it’s not a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP you can just return it and try another mattress if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. Of course you will only know whether it’s “good enough” and you won’t know whether it would have been better or worse or how it compares to other mattresses that you could have purchased instead that you haven’t actually tried in person. This is one of the disadvantages of buying a mattress online that you can only try “one at a time” vs local testing where you can compare many mattresses side by side at the same time.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I’m not sure you are clear between the difference between a box spring and a foundation. A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

Any foam mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although 4" or less would be better yet.

While I don’t know for certain … I believe that the distance between the slats with the Classic Brands foundation is 4.5" and they apparently also use a mixture of wood (probably made from whatever is available to them at the lowest cost) so I would be a somewhat cautious and unless your budget doesn’t allow it I would tend to look for something that is stronger with gaps that are closer to 4" or less.

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. I would also keep in mind that these are general guidelines and some manufacturers have requirements that may be different so I would always confirm that any support system you are using under your mattress meets the warranty requirements or guidelines for the specific mattress you purchase.

The Q&A on the Tuft & Needle site for example suggests that the slats are no more than 3 - 4" apart.

Subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets your specific criteria and the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Seattle/Tacoma area are listed in post #2 here.

While there are many options available to you in the area that you can test and compare in person … all of the mattresses you are considering are only available online and not through local stores so if you choose to make a local purchase it would be for a different mattress.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines here relative to your weight/BMI range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses or firmness levels you tend to prefer in very general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (and isn’t just interested in “selling you” any mattress they can convince you to buy) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Outside of any local options that are available to you and the simplified choice list I linked earlier in this reply … if you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several other links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with a range of different return/exchange policies that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your help. I’ll be going to Bedrooms and More here in Seattle, a location recommended by you. When I find out what is in my mattress what’s the best thing to do with that information to find out if the mattress is a good fit. Compare it to the durability test you posted above? I’m not sure what type of mattress we’re looking for yet, latex or innerspring likely. But that’s what we’ll find out. Are there certain recommend bed frames and platforms or should I go to Ikea and see what they have, or just see what they have on Amazon? I’m 6’3" and 220 with a BMI of 27, which density in foam should I be looking for in the brands I mentioned before. Purple, Leesa, and Ghost bed? Thanks again!

Hi miles4,

The only way to know whether any mattress you are considering will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP or how well you will sleep on a mattress will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

The specs you need to know will give you a way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress … not whether it’s a good “fit” for you.

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Assuming that the materials and components in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the durability guidelines I linked relative to your weight/BMI range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which types of materials or mattresses or firmness levels you tend to prefer in very general terms will be based on your own local testing or your own personal experience.

The minimum specs that I would suggest for different weight/BMI ranges are in the durability guidelines.

There is more information about the different types of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. I would also keep in mind that these are general guidelines and some manufacturers have requirements that may be different so I would always confirm with the retailer or manufacturer of your mattress that any support system you are planning to use under the specific mattress you purchase meets their warranty requirements and guidelines.

In its simplest form choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to FIRST finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers (either locally or online) that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in that are in a budget range you are comfortable with and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you are considering relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix, your patience and help has been outstanding!

My fiance and I went to a local independent mattress retailer yesterday, the guy seemed knowledgeable and had our best interests at heart, although he did try some sales tactics on us, (if we bought that day he did promise to pay the sales tax). We found a Latex mattress we liked quite a bit I’ll link it below with the specs from the website.
bedroomsandmore.com/product/woodlawn-firm-latex-mattress/
Support System
6" Botanical Latex
100% Botanical (Tree Rubber) Latex by Botanicore™ Firm 85 kg/m3
Comfort Layer
2" 100% Botanical (Tree Rubber) Latex by Botanicore™ Plush 75kg/m3 (1" each side)
Quilt Layers
1.6" Latex (0.8" each side)
Joma Blended Wool Pad
Whispershield Fiber Fire Barrier (Dacron/Rayon)
Fabric Cover
Organic Cotton/Polyester (Knit)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: bedroomsandmore.com/product/woodlawn-firm-latex-mattress/

We liked this mattress quite a bit, the price was definitely out of our range though. at $2600 it seemed a little expensive from what we could find online. Thoughts on this one, and is something similar available online for less? Our budget is about $1300-$1500, and online mattresses seem to be more in that range. I noticed Brooklyn Bedding is a member of the site and when you mentioned them here. They seem to “recommended” by you, correct me if I am wrong though. For a slightly larger man like myself, their foam density and layers seem to be a better fit. I’d still like to find another local mattress store around my area to try out a few more, but I am definitely intrigued by the online mattress options, and am leaning more towards Brooklyn Beddings mattress if I go that route.

The more I read and ask the more I’ve learned and becoming more comfortable. It’s a difficult journey but will be so worth it in the end. And I am already finding satisfaction as my knowledge increases! :slight_smile:

Hi miles4,

Latex is among the most durable materials in the industry so it certainly uses high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to any weight/BMI range. Assuming that you flip and rotate it on a regular basis … being two sided would also add to the durability of the mattress as well relative to a one sided mattress that used the same comfort and transition layers on only one side of the support core although an all latex mattress would be a very durable choice in both one and two sided versions. There is more about the pros and cons of one sided vs two sided mattresses in post #3 here.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need to “match” for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” and PPP and/or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance on a phone call about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people that have compared them (different people may have very different opinions about how two mattresses compare) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP (regardless of anyone else’s opinions of how they compare which may be different from your own) would be based on your own careful testing or your actual sleeping experience on both of them.

Each mattress category (including latex mattresses) can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Again, every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that have a design that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category and may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

While there are certainly other all latex mattresses that use the same type and blend of latex (100% natural Dunlop) … I don’t know of another mattress that has the same design.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

I do recommend the members of this site “as a group” (currently just over 50 manufacturers or retailers) because I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency but I don’t make specific recommendations or suggestions for mattresses, combinations of materials and components, or specific manufacturers because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person and there are also there are also many other sources of good quality/value mattresses across the country or online that aren’t members of this site (at least yet).

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver is a one sided latex/polyfoam hybrid rather than a two sided all latex mattress so it uses much less costly materials although it certainly uses good quality and durable materials as well that would also be suitable for any weight/BMI range. There is more about some of the differences between a latex/polyfoam hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here.

While I can’t speak to how whether it would be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and it is a completely different design that wouldn’t be the same as the Woodlawn … they do have three different firmness levels to choose from and like most of the other “simplified choice” mattresses they also have a great trial period and return policy so you can try it out in your bedroom instead of a showroom and decide whether it’s a “good enough” match for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with little risk outside of the time you spend sleeping on it and/or returning it should that become necessary.

Phoenix

Thanks again. Phoenix. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated! My wife to be and I are really considering the Brooklyn Bedding mattress right now. It’s definitely in our price range and because it is a part of the Mattress Underground team that’s even more reason to think about it! And with a generous return policy it makes it even easier to consider them, at the very least to try them out!! is the 2lb polyfoam quality foam then? My only concern is if it is soft enough for us. I tend to like softer and my fiance likes firmer. Hopefully their medium is about right for us.

Lastly, I currently use a cheap memory foam mattress topper on my old spring mattress. Are there quality mattress toppers and are they recommended by the MU or are they generally looked down upon? I know my fiance uses one too, on a mattress like one from Brooklyn Bedding, what would a mattress topper do to a Latex mattress like that if we decided we wanted one?

Hi miles4,

Yes … as you can see in the durability guidelines here 2 lb polyfoam is a good quality and durable material that would be suitable for any weight range.

Again the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for both of you will be cased on your own careful testing or your own personal experience but they will be the best source of guidance about the firmness level that will have the highest odds of success for both of you. I would also tend to lean towards the medium if you are uncertain and I would also keep in mind that you can always soften up a mattress that is too firm but it’s much more difficult to “firm up” a mattress that is too soft.

If the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress and it’s still in good condition then a good quality topper can be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the mattress/topper combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice for any specific person on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper and a link to the better online sources I’m aware of in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Brooklyn Bedding also has a topper that they provide to their customers to try if the mattress they choose is too firm but unless you have personal experience with any specific mattress/topper combination I would always sleep on a mattress by itself first to assess whether the mattress by itself is a good “match” for you or whether you need to add a topper.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix, thanks again for everything. My fiancé are I are gonna purchase the Brooklyn bedding mattress and give it a try. We’re having quite a difficult time finding an appropriate frame though. I’ve scoured amazon and a few other sites trying to find a slatted frame with less than 3" gaps between the slats and can’t find much. Any ideas there? We’re looking for a king or possibly California king if we can find a frame in our budget in that size. California king frames are harder to find. I noticed ed on Amazon Zinus has some decent frames in our price range, but I don’t know what the slat sizing is. Is it okay to go up to 4 inch spacing? Or should I just keep looking for 3 in or less?

Hi miles4,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

There were some guidelines and suggestions in my previous replies including …

In other words you will need either a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation or a platform bed that combines the functions of a bedframe and foundation. If you are using a support surface with slats then I would suggest gaps that are 4" or less since your mattress has a polyfoam support core.

Brooklyn Bedding also sells a foundation here[/url] that would be suitable although you would still need to purchase a steel or wooden bedframe. to go with it. There are some guidelines for bedframes in post #10 here.

The information in this topic may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

I should have looked more thoroughly at what you already wrote. There’s a ton of info there. So up to 4 inches would be fine. Just for a few practical examples, what about these 2? Forgive my formatting, I’m on my phone! :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AB689F0/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g196_i2?pf_rd_p=1c5f02ae-183e-4906-990b-5a293310a66c&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=J1W68186Y57904CRKQYS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C8PIVLE/ref=psdcmw_3248801011_t1_B01ARJ3J6U

Hi miles4,

The Zinus Modern Studio 14 Inch Platform has 10 slats that are probably no more than 3" wide (a typical 1 x 3 is 2.5" wide when it’s finished) so the total width of all the slats combined would be 30" or less which means that the spaces between the slats would add up to 80" - 30" = 50". There would be 11 spaces with 10 slats so the total width between the slats would probably be 50/11 = about 4.5" so I would tend to avoid it.

The Olee Sleep Steel Slat Bed Frame has metal slats look like they are vertical rather than horizontal so only the thin edges of the slats would be supporting the mattress rather than the wider flat surface. There are also only 9 slats so if the slats are about 1/2" thick then the gaps between them would probably be about 7.5" which means I would avoid it as well.

Phoenix

People tend to like this one, and according to some of the reviews the slats are 2.75" to 3" across, seems to support a large amount of weight and is in our budget, and Cal King is in stock, which is hard to find frames for the Cal King! But I’d love to get Phoenix’s opinion as well!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Premier-Flex-Platform-Bed-Frame-with-Adjustable-Lumbar-Support-Multiple-Sizes/25735961

Hi miles4,

Many people tend to “like” and write good initial reviews for anything that’s “cheap” soon after they purchase it … regardless of the quality or durability of the product … because they think they got a “good deal”.

You can see some comments about this foundation in this post. It certainly wouldn’t purchase it myself partly because of its low overall strength rating, partly because of the possibility of the legs bending or breaking, partly because the plastic slat holders may be subject to breaking, and partly because it has flexible slats (rather than rigid slats) that don’t appear to be very strong.

I think this would be a case of “you get what you pay for”.

Phoenix

Yeah you are correct, you do ‘get what you pay for’. I’m just trying to find something for under $150 or so, a decent platform slatted bed frame. I don’t want to get a boxspring and a metal frame. I’m really having trouble finding something decent to buy. I found this one on amazon This one support up to 2400 lbs and has less than 3" slats.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-SmartBase-Mattress-Foundation-Replacement/dp/B00M16A0AQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1473270805&sr=1-8&keywords=bed+frame
I’d like something a little bit nicer (this one is kind of ugly) but I just can’t find much online for what I’m looking for.

Same thing with this one, looks ok but hard to tell

https://www.target.com/p/zinus-1000-platform-metal-bed-frame-mattress-foundation/-/A-50785017

Hi miles4,

I would also tend to avoid these two platform bedframes as well along with any others that are in a similar price range that use thinner wooden slats that are easier to break and where the frame itself isn’t particularly well made (read some of the lower rated reviews).

If your budget is extremely restricted and since your mattress has a polyfoam base layer then I would probably choose one of the wire grid platform bedframes that I mentioned in the reference post I linked for support systems rather than the ones that use lower quality wooden slats that are prone to bending or breaking. There are also some comments and some suggestions about wire grid platform bedframes in post #10 here that can help make them more supportive as well if you are looking at some of the cheaper ones that have wider spaces between the wires.

Phoenix

Well I suppose I should get a wire frame then, since that’s probably all my budget allows. I was looking at this one from costco. I went through some of the wire frames listed in that previous post. Besides those any other specific frames you’d recommend in the sub $150 range for a king polyfoam latex mattress?

costco.com/King-Bedder-Base®.product.100232754.html
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: costco.com/King-Bedder-Base®.product.100232754.html

Hi miles4,

I don’t have any specific recommendations but considering your budget restrictions I think the Bedder Base would make a reasonable choice and Costco also has a great return policy if you find there are any issues with it.

Phoenix