Looking for non-toxic mattress brands in Canada

I’m looking to purchase a twin mattress for my son and I’d like to avoid any toxic off-gassing. What non-toxic brands are available to us in Canada? I’m in VIctoria BC. I’m looking for brands with certifications such as Oeko Tex 100, GOTS, etc. I know there’s Naturepedic, Sleeptek. Our local Fawcett has been recommended, but I’ve read about some negative experiences with it. Are there any other brands I could look at?
PS I’m also open to DIY if I can find healthy options

Hi skyisred.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Of our Trusted Members, both Dormio and Memory Foam Comfort are good options for you to explore. They are also experts in their field and would be happy to help make other recommendations to ensure you find the perfect fit!

You mentioned Fawcett - If you haven’t had a chance to do so, I’d recommend reading our article on finding a great mattress outlet to help you decide if it will be worth a visit.

Please let us know if any questions arise!
NikkiTMU

Thank you NikkiTMU! I did lots of reading here on the website. I actually made up my mind and was going to order Naturepedic Verse. One of the reason was that I wanted to avoid latex (because of stories of mold and a history of multiple allergies). I also love that they have top-notch organic/non-toxic certifications. We decided to travel to the nearest retailer to test the Verse just in case, and turns out that we didn’t like it at all! It felt fluffy and unsupportive, but somehow still hard when you sink though the fluff.
The one we really liked there was Obasan 6in. Even though I’m still a bit queasy about latex, I feel that the benefits of having a great support outweighs the small risk of developing an allergy.
This mattress consists of 3in medium and 3in firm latex with some wool and cotton on top. I looked at dormio and the price of their junior is similar to that of Obasan.
The biggest downside I see so far is that the 6in Obasan is designed for people of up to 150lb, so we will likely need to buy him another mattress in 10yrs time. But other than this, do you think this mattress would be a good choice? Are they considered a quality company? Should I ask them any more specific questions before making the purchase?
Thank you again for all your great work on this forum and sorry for multiple threads!

We are now considering buying twin XL so it would last longer. As I mentioned, the manufacturer rates this mattress for up to 15yrs old or 150lbs. Aren’t 6 inches of latex durable enough to support over 150lb? Could it be that the latex used is somehow inferior in terms of durability? If our son grows over 150lbs, can we add another layer of latex to make it last longer?

Hi again!!

I’m really glad you were able to test the mattress and get an in person feel for it.

Latex allergies to the latex in mattresses are almost unheard of - even with people who have true latex allergies. You can read more about the here.

Latex mattresses will last longer than this, but most other mattresses need to be replaced in about that time frame anyway, for what that is worth!

Based on what I saw on their website, they seem to be a good company with great transparency.

6" of latex isn’t really going to be enough for an adult sized sleeper unless they are very light weight. Also, depending your son’s sleeping positions, as additional layer may be needed for adequate pressure relief and comfort on the mattress.

The issue here is that 6" is a great size for a base or youth mattress, but unless it’s a firm or extra firm layer…it wouldn’t be an especially supportive base foam if you were to add 2 - 4" of softer talalay on top of it later. If it is firm/extra firm, you could potentially repurpose it as a base foam.

NikkiTMU

Thank you for your reply!
I got a reply from the company regarding the densities of the latex
So it consists of :
3in firm 38-42 ILD (80-85 Density) and
3in medium with an ILD of 32-35 (70-75 Density).
The mattress is flippable (the layers and the cover come separate) so I can put the firm on top of medium if needed.
Would it be a suitable base for an adult over 150 lbs? (Ie medium on the bottom, firm in the middle and than a topper on top) ?

Just a bit of extra info. My little is 5 and big for his age. Neither me or my husband are particularly large though

Hi skyisred.

Thank you for the extra info. Yes, I’d say this is probably adequate to add a 3" soft layer too eventually, assuming your son wants and/or needs that. The Firm layer could continue as a base and the Medium layer would become a transition layer.

NikkiTMU