Looking for some Mattress purchase help

First I’'d like to say thanks for this great website. There is a lot of great information on here and I think that might be some of my problem. There is so much information and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed.

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a Queen size mattress and we live in Vancouver, BC. The big issue for us is I am a big guy (6’3 375lbs) while my wife is only 5’3 and 140lbs.

I’m a back sleeper for the most part sometimes sleeping on my side. My wife is a front/side sleeper.

I’m hoping that someone can help point me in the direction I need to go as a bigger guy what types of mattresses should I stay away from because we want this mattress to last for a long time. I’ve been looking at latex or memory foam but lots of people say there can be issues with sleeping hot.

I don’t have an issue buying online as long as the return/refund policy is good but many of the links on the site are for US places that don’t ship to Canada.

I have been looking at Brooklyn Bedding and Novosbed and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on either of those companies.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Hi dan_jacks,

Most of the information in my last reply to another member in Vancouver in post #78 here would apply to you as well.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges. While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density.

While it’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

Latex and memory foam are also very different materials with very different properties and there is more about the pros and cons of each of them in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

You can see some comments about the Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver along with some of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic. It uses high quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to your weight range.

With the Novosbed mattresses I would focus on their Aria mattress which uses 5 lb memory foam (and doesn’t contain any 4 lb memory foam) although I would add a “slight” caution for your weight range because of the 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer. NOTE ADDED JAN, 2016: They have now introduced their new simplified choice mattress which has replaced their previous models and have also become a member of this site.

The other Vancouver reply I linked also includes a link to the better online options I’m aware of that ship across Canada and the better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Greater Vancouver area as well.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress relative to your weight range.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m still looking at the all the information posted on the site and trying to figure out what mattress will work for me.

Interestingly I e-mailed Novosbed to ask what the weight rating on their mattresses is and they said approximately 550lbs but then also mentioned to reach out to themattressunderground.com. They said the moderator is very helpful and well informed where mattress longevity, durability and function is concerned.

Just figured I’d pass on that little bit of information they gave me. So Bravo the companies definately appreciate this site as much as the people do.

Hi dan_jacks,

[quote]Interestingly I e-mailed Novosbed to ask what the weight rating on their mattresses is and they said approximately 550lbs but then also mentioned to reach out to themattressunderground.com. They said the moderator is very helpful and well informed where mattress longevity, durability and function is concerned.

Just figured I’d pass on that little bit of information they gave me. So Bravo the companies definately appreciate this site as much as the people do. [/quote]

Since your last post Novosbed has just introduced their new mattress which replaces their previous lineup. It comes in three different firmness levels that each have slightly different designs and foam densities. They also have an optional “comfort +” attachment in different firmness levels which uses 2 lb polyfoam which is also a high quality material and which zips to the mattress for those that need to soften up or firm up their original choice. I have talked with Sam the Founder on many occasions over the last few years and think highly of him and Novosbed and now that they have launched their new design they have also now become the newest member of this site (they are now listed in the membership list here).

All 3 firmness levels use high quality/density materials that would be suitable for most weight ranges but because you are in a much higher than average weight range it becomes more important to use higher density materials than those who are in lower weight ranges and it would also be reasonable to expect that any mattress will have a shorter useful life for you than it will for those that are in more average weight ranges.

A medium firmness level will generally be the most suitable choice “on average” for the largest percentage of the bell curve that covers the needs and preferences of the widest range of people and since your mattress needs to be suitable for both of you in terns of PPP and since their medium firmness level uses 5 lb memory foam in both of the top 2 layers … if you are considering their mattress (and it would certainly be well worth considering) it would make sense that the medium firmness would have the best chance of success in terms of being suitable for both of you and in terms of durability (for you especially) than their firmer or softer versions that include slightly lower density 4 lb memory foam layers.

Phoenix