Looking for suggestions on latex/memoryfoam Mattresses

Hello Everyone and Phoenix,
First, I’d like to thank you Phoenix for this website as I am a big researcher and want to know basically everything about my product. Next, I’d like to state what I’m looking for: I am a side sleeper, 250 lbs with a girlfriend slightly larger at 350 range, I’d very much like a king size however if its completely unfeasible I understand, I need a boxspring (or what the equivalent is in memory foam mattresses) with a frame and my budget is around 1500 but I’m completely open to expanding it if it means I can improve the lifespan by quite a large degree. I was thinking about using Brooklyn bed (online purchasing is fine for me) after your endorsement but found that they dont supply boxsprings (again equiv) nor frames but that isn’t as bad as I can easily buy a frame and transport it.
Thank You so Much,
Jon

Hi Revan,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us :).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article). The best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own testing and personal experience because different people can have very different preferences.

Latex and memory foam are very different materials with very different properties but again the choice between them is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse” choice. There is more about some of the differences between memory foam and latex in post #2 here but the best way to know which type of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer in general would be based on your own testing and/or personal experience.

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges

While the process of how to choose a mattress would involve the same steps that are listed in the mattress shopping tutorial … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable than those that are in lower weight ranges (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much). I would be particularly cautious about mattresses that use more than “about an inch or so” of memory foam that is less than about 5 lb density or polyfoam that is less than about 2 lb density … particularly in the upper layers of the mattress.

The size of a mattress is also a preference choice and assuming that you have room in your bedroom your budget would certainly be enough to purchase a king size mattress.

A box spring has springs inside it that flex under the mattress and there are very few one sided mattresses today that use them as a support system and in many cases they will invalidate a mattress warranty. Most mattresses in the industry today need a steel or wooden bedframe with a foundation that has minimal to no flex (vs a box spring that flexes) or a platform bed which also has little to no flex under the mattress. There are many in the industry that mix up the terminology between box springs and foundations even though they are very different products.

Any foam mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet.

If you purchase a mattress that is all latex (with a latex base layer) then I would make sure that the distance between any slats is no more than 3" (and once again less would be better yet).

In your weight range I would also be looking at a heavy duty bedframe as well.

There is more information about the different support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here.

The Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver uses high quality materials and unlike many other mattresses it certainly meets the quality/durability guidelines that I would suggest in your weight range so it would certainly be worth considering.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course to any comments or specific questions you may have that I can help with along the way.

Phoenix

If your budget is 1500 then must you’ll be found lots of boxspring.