Looking for the best mattress to prevent "roll together"

My wife and I are in the market for a new mattress and could really use some help in finding the right direction to look in. We have a fairly large weight difference, I’m 6’3, 230# and she’s 5’9, 130#. Our largest problem is that on most beds she feels that she is constantly rolling towards me. We have a memory foam now that neither of us really care for, and in all the testing we’ve done it seems like a medium/plus innerspring combo mattress is the most comfortable. She is strongly leaning towards an air bed however, (currently the Innomax is the one she’s favoring based on price and how the mattress appears to be constructed vs, the sleep number) because she feels that the independent air mattresses will prevent her from sinking towards me all the time. After reading the thoughts on air-beds here, I’m hoping there’s another alternative that will prevent the roll together that she feels when I’m anywhere but on the very edge of the bed. I should also mention that we’re looking for a king size bed, and I’m a side sleeper, she is primarily a stomach sleeper. Any help or advise? Thanks!, and this site has already been a huge help to us!

Hi Ethan,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices based on all the criteria that are important to you (including “roll together” … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Roll together is generally caused by either a support core that is too soft or comfort layers that are too thick/soft for the heavier half of a couple so when a couple sleeps closer together the lighter half of the couple tends to “roll into” the depression caused by the heavier half of a couple. The support core especially needs to be firm enough for the heavier half of a couple.

In some cases it can also be caused by a support system that is sagging or that has too much flex under the mattress or where there are larger open spaces in the support system that are allowing the mattress to sink into the gaps.

Since there are many variables involved and it can be too complex to choose a mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) … the most effective way to ensure that a mattress doesn’t have “roll together” and is a good match for you based on all the other criteria that are important in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own careful testing (following the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) with both of you testing the mattress together so that your testing approximates your actual sleeping conditions as closely as possible. Dealing with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that can provide you with good guidance and is aware of how to help solve these types of issues can also be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

There is also more information and suggestions about choosing a mattress for a couple who have a significant weight difference in the first part of post #2 here.

There are certainly many other options besides airbeds that can work well and you can see my thoughts about airbeds in this article (although it seems you’ve already read it).

Phoenix