Looking for the best sub 1100 queen mattress

Hi, The Mattress Underground!

I have been looking for the best queen mattress under $1100, and I’ve almost settled on Layla Mattress, which seems to be a good option with a lifetime warranty.

I am 5 foot 7 inches, weigh 165 lbs, and prefer a softer bed over a firm one (though I’m not exactly sure where I’d be on a number scale).

Is this the way to go, or is there another option that I should consider beforehand?

For reference, I will be using the bed on this low platform bedframe: Clay Taupe Fabric Queen-Sized Bed Frame w/ Headboard | Tessu | Article

Hi Sinantio.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Most warranties are much more of a sales tool than anything else. I’d keep in mind that lower density foams will start softening at an early stage in the mattress life which is not the same as body impressions that is covered by the warranties. While softening can happen much earlier in the life of lower quality foams, body impressions are the last stages of foam breakdown. A warranty with the standard body impression exclusion means that long after the foam softens to the extent that it becomes unsuitable for sleeping on … it is still not covered by the warranty.

The most effective way to know how durable a mattress is and how long it will last is to know what is in every layer of a mattress. The weakest link of every mattress is the least durable layer and this is what will determine the life expectancy of the mattress. The closer to the top of a mattress (where it is most subject to mechanical stress) and the thicker this “weak” layer is, the more it will shorten the life of the mattress as a whole.
The configuration of the (13") Layla Hybrid Mattress as listed on their site is:

[indent]Zippered Cover (fabric not specified)
2.5" Copper-Gel Memory Foam Soft (density not specified)
2" Zoned Max Ariflow Support Foam (density not specified)
6" Pocket coil Unit 14-gauge center coils & 16 Gauge edge coils
1.5" Zoned Max Ariflow Support Foam (density not specified)
1" Copper-Gel Memory Foam (density not specified)[/indent]
As you can see neither of the foam layers has listed. specifications you need to know so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the mattress durability guidelines here

The first suggestion I would have is to start with the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … The tutorial post will help you make a better quality/value purchase and know how and why to avoid the worst choices no matter what type of mattress you are looking for or what budget range you may be in. No matter what type of mattress you prefer and no matter what your budget range … the goal is always to find a mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP(posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences) and that doesn’t have any weak links in the mattress so you have a reasonable expectation that the mattress will last a reasonable length of time relative to what you paid for it. Generally, I would avoid the major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the quality of the materials inside it no matter what your budget range.

It would be best to first do some good local testing to give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses (see this article) and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online. This is especially important as only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are to many variables involved to use anyone’s opinion as a reliable indicator of the level of support comfort you may need.

I hope that once you have a chance to go through the suggested readings, you’ll join the growing number of consumers that look to make an informed mattress purchase that is based on specifics rather than marketing, and commission-based reviews.

Phoenix