Looking for the best Talalay Latex Mattress Topper - 3" for Cal King

I have a expensive mattress set but it is just too hard for us side-sleepers. I’m looking for the best Talalay Natural Latex Mattress Topper - 3" for Cal King – any suggestions, reviews, comparisons? Any sales going on for July 4th? Also, what is the best ILD for a side-sleeper? Would appreciate any and all help!

Hi wpitman,

Which topper is best for any person would depend on what it is being used on, the person’s height/weight/body shape and preferences, and how much you may want to modify the feel and performance of the mattress you are using it on. If the mattress is “way off” and has very thin and firm layers on top (and sometimes it can be surprising that even firm mattresses usually have some soft layers on top) then a thicker topper may be OK and if you only need some fine tuning then a thinner topper is generally best. A topper that is too thick or soft risks compromising alignment … especially if there is a few inches of soft foam already on top of the mattress.

Side sleepers on average can generally use a comfort layer of about 3-4" (including the comfort layers in the mattress and the topper) but this also depends on the layers below them deeper in the mattress. A softer support layer or lighter person could use thinner comfort layers while a very firm support layer or heavier person may even go a little thicker. Again … “comfort layer” includes what is in your mattress and any topper.

The choice of ILD of a topper can depend on someone’s height/weight and body shape and on their personal preferences. Thickness and softness work together in a mattress and one affects the other. Most people would chose a Talalay topper somewhere in a range from a low of 14 ILD up to about 28 or 32. The most common choice that would be the “average” preference of the most people would be in the high teens to mid 20’s.

Sleep Like a Bear has the widest selection of all types of latex toppers (they carry every type and ILD of talalay in several thicknesses) but they are also a little more expensive.

Some of our members that carry talalay toppers at better prices includes …

Latex Mattress Toppers and Cores, All Products, (they also carry the new slow recovery talalay GL)

https://www.sleepez.com/mattresscomponents.htm

Amazon.com (run by one of our members)

If you are OK with seconds or comfort exchanges (NOTE ADDED: they now only sell new latex) … then http://stores.ebay.com/mattresses247 may be worth looking at.

Local foam shops or local mattress manufacturers may also sell talalay latex toppers.

It’s also very important to have a good quality cover to protect the latex from oxidation which can prematurely degrade the latex so make sure you price in any shipping and the cost of a good cover. Thinner cheap covers or mattress protectors will not do the job and will shorten the lifespan of the latex.

Hope this helps

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

My question is still on the same topic but the bed is a bit different. Here is the construction of my bed.

1130 Combi-zone spring
bonded cotton pad in the center 1/3
1 inch of 44 ILD Talalay Latex
1 inch high 19 gage NanoCoil® (1872 coils)
1 inch of 24 ILD Talalay Latex
3.5 ounces of Pure Joma Wool per square foot
Organic Cotton knit cover

Me: 198 Ibs and 5’5

Unfortunately this is playing hell with my low back and is keeping it in a bowed position all night and tilting my pelvis the wrong way. Even with my knees up on a wedge I can’t get my back to be flat on the mattress. This indicates that the mattress is too firm correct?

I’ve been looking into latex toppers and all of the businesses linked on this site (I’ve also gone and visited flexusfoam) and have been advised that I should only put another layer of talalay onto of existing talalay and never dunlop.

1. My question is, in your opinion would a 1,2, or 3 inch make the most difference (I’ve been told 2 is the best bet but I’m not sure based on my body weights)
  2. Do you think a soft Talalay is a good idea?
  3. I have seen you say prior that there isn’t a true significant difference between 100% natural talalay and blended but in this case I figured I would ask since I am trying to figure in cost and looking into which companies have what return policies, comfort guarantees, shipping policies ect.

thank you!

Hi ComeAlongDoctor.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a great deal of discomfort and lower back pain while sleeping.

Your current mattress has the same specifications the Heirloom Tuft Top mattress from Beloit Mattress company (our Trusted Member of the site.) which uses good quality materials and would generally be quite suitable for a back sleeper in a normal weight range. Of course, there are many other factors that come into play … such as your present 33 BMI or there are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be more or less sensitive to (see post #15 here ) and a mattress that is a “perfect” match for one person in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they are in similar weight ranges.

From your description you seem to be primarily a back sleeper which would usually need a slightly shallower cradle for in the top/comfort layer but also your higher BMIs presents special challenges and usually you’d need more comfort layer thickness that will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body)… Generally, you seem to be on the right track but I’d make sure that before you jump in purchasing the topper you do a bit more legwork and understand the exact cause of your discomfort and pain. As far as I remember you lost significant weight and this is another variable that needs to be put into the mix.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because they can be very complex and there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or any “symptoms” they experience … I’d first experimentally confirm that the pain you are experiencing subsides when you place a wedge under your knees which would indicate you’d probably need a bit more thickness/plushness of your comfort layer and a topper would be a good solution. If the pain does not subside when you place the wedge under your knees try to determine if the pain is postural related, pressure point related or both, and I’d recommend that you peruse some postings about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here .
Post #2 here and post #10 here also include a list with links to many of the forum posts that talk about different symptoms and fine-tuning a mattress that may also provide more insights and be helpful in identifying some of the underlying causes behind different type of discomfort or pain in a sleeping system

[quote]1. My question is, in your opinion would a 1,2, or 3 inch make the most difference (I’ve been told 2 is the best bet but I’m not sure based on my body weights)
2. Do you think a soft Talalay is a good idea?[/quote]

As from your description, your pains seem quite extreme and the wedge did not seem to solve/improve the issue … depending on the ILD of the layer you chose, a 1" thick extra layer would probably not be sufficient enough to help with your back pain. I am not sure if the NanoCoil is too soft for you and allows you to “bottom out” onto the 44 ILD Talalay layer below or if it is too firm for you and you have just 1" of real comfort. (The nanocoils are slightly compressed when placed into the fabric encasement) Then depending on ILD a 3" layer might compromise your alignment especially if you are planning to lose some more weight … so I’d definitely follow the advice you’d been given by Flexus Comfort and make sure that you make them aware of your history.

You are correct … NR Talalay is more expensive than (SBR) or Blended Talalay. Blended Talalay is most often used because it can create a more durable foam … especially in the softer versions or ILD’s. Talalay that uses 100% natural rubber is also available and is more elastic than a blend but may not be as durable as the blend in softer versions (lower ILD’s). There is more about 100% natural and blended Talalay in post #2 here. It is also more difficult to work with to make a consistent firmness so the natural Talalay can be made softer than most Dunlop (except continuous pour Dunlop) but not as soft as blended Talalay. The two different versions of Talalay are very similar in feel and are lighter and more “lively” than Dunlop.

As you may be aware Flexus Comfort is one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

I hope this information helps you fact check some of your findings and I’d be interested to find out about your progress.

Phoenix