Looking to get thoughts on this DIY build

My lower back IS killing me, I’m a combination back side sleeper, I prefer to be on my back but after a couple hours of pain I go to my side. I had Nolah luxury firm hybrid so I got rid of it and have been sleeping on a cheap ikea mattress on the ground and that feels good. I’m looking to build my own firm mattress king from foam factory.

Budget: $1k
Body Specs: 6’2" 180

Other considerations:

• Serta ultra firm perfect sleeper ($650 on bed bath and beyond)
  • Plank flippable
  • Something from APM?

Concerned about sleeping on coils after the Nolah experience, have read L&P 8" coils are too soft compared to BB Ascension.

Build:
3" Dunlop Latex Medium - 29 ILD 4.6LB
6" Lux High Quality Foam 2.8LB Density 50LB Firm

HI Hevak,

Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and becoming a new MUGster.

It appears like you’re really putting thought into finding the right mattress for your needs. Based on your preferences and concerns, a custom-built foam mattress could be a good option. Here’s a breakdown of your proposed build:

3" Dunlop Latex Medium (29 ILD, 4.6LB): Latex foam tends to provide excellent support and pressure relief. The medium firmness should offer a good balance between comfort and support for your back. It’s also durable and resilient, which is great for longevity.

6" Lux High-Quality Foam (2.8LB Density, 50LB Firm): This foam layer will serve as the foundational support for the mattress. The firmness level should complement the medium firmness of the latex layer well, providing additional support and stability.

This combination should offer a firm feel overall, which seems to align with your preference for a firm mattress. Additionally, foam mattresses tend to provide better motion isolation compared to traditional innerspring mattresses, which could address your concern about coils.

Regarding your other considerations:

The Serta Ultra Firm Perfect Sleeper could be an option if you prefer a ready-made mattress. However, since you’re considering building your own mattress, you have the advantage of customizing it to your exact preferences. Additionally, it is a mattress brand that is hard to endorse when the quality has waned over the years, something akin to the American Automobile Manufacturers of the 1970’s. Not to single out Serta, I would apply those thoughts to the majority of “S” brands.

The Plank flippable mattress could also be a good choice if you’re looking for a firm surface. Flippable mattresses offer versatility in firmness levels, but they may not offer the same customization options as building your own mattress. I will add my personal experience regarding the Plank Luxe in a moment.

APM (Arizona Premium Mattress) offers high-quality latex mattresses, which could be worth considering if you’re open to exploring Dunlop Latex, Talalay Latex or a combination of both with a hybrid option as well. Their mattresses are known for their durability and support.

Having owned the Plank Luxe mattress, I’ll admit to some bias in my assessment. Transitioning from our 11-year-old Sealy Posturepedic Ultra Firm Pillowtop to the ultra firm side of the Plank Luxe was a significant upgrade for us. When the description says the Plank Luxe is firm, it truly means it. Unlike other mattresses labeled “extra,” “ultra,” or “super” firm, the Plank Luxe lives up to its name. Both my wife and I immediately noticed the difference in firmness. At 6’ 220, I felt like I was in heaven right away. It took my wife, who is 5’4" 135, about three weeks to feel perfectly comfortable.

Interestingly, returning from vacations or visiting relatives has had the opposite effect on us compared to most people. We eagerly look forward to getting back into our Plank Luxe mattress.

Before finalizing your decision, it might be beneficial to try out different firmness levels at local mattress stores or explore online reviews to ensure that the firmness levels you’ve chosen align with your comfort preferences. Additionally, consider factors such as warranty and return policies to ensure you’re making a well-informed decision.

You have the right idea and are on the right track. Should you have any questions or want any other thoughts about the Plank Luxe, I am always here to help. Should you have any questions for APM, just ask your question and use the “@” symbol as a prefix before their name like this @Arizona_Premium.

Best of luck, hopefully the information here helps.

Maverick

Thanks Mavrick!

Just came back from going to a few stores and the Serta is out, I tried a couple extra firm Serta’s (even more expensive models) and the springs were far too soft. Unfortunately all of the mattresses are S’s so I couldn’t try anything like the Plank. But I did like the Beautyrest PressureSmart in ExtraFirm.

What I found is my preference is to feel the foam layers compress a bit but not the springs as if the bed is bowing, I kind of like the feeling of bottoming out without the springs flexing. From your experience does the Plank Luxe provide this feeling?

Thank you!

Hi Hevak,

I am familiar with the PressureSmart series. My brother bought one to replace the pull out couch bed we were killing our backs on when we visited. I told him we would be staying a hotel if he didnt get a normal mattress. He bought a PS Extra Firm. When we make a recent visit to SW Florida last month, my wife and I came home in pain (believe me, it was better than the pullout couch). It took almost 3 nights on the Plank Luxe for our pain to subside.

To answer this question, No. When you sleep on the Plank Luxe, you are basically sleeping on the top layer of the mattress. Very little sinking at all, almost none. You really lay flat. The top layer is not hard, but firm. The support spring layer in the Plank Luxe uses a 13.5gauge thickness, the comfort layer is a 1.8lb 36ILD and the quited cover panel is a 50ILD. So it is very firm.

You will notice a difference when you sit on the edge of the Plank Luxe vs PS. The PS will give the feeling of a more firm or solid edge. This is because of the high density foam edge support encased perimeter. While it may seem firmer and more solid that the edge to edge spring coils on the Plank Luxe, the PL springs will far out last the PS foam, as the foam will start to degrade and sag.

It’s important to recognize that everyone’s preferences and needs are unique when it comes to choosing a mattress. Personal preferences, posture, alignment, and pressure relief requirements all play a significant role in making the right choice. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution, and it’s perfectly valid for individuals to have different assessments and preferences.

If you like the feel those foam layers compress, but not the springs, I would suggest looking at the Brooklyn Bedding Titan Plus Luxe. It uses the same spring support system as the PL, but with a more conforming comfort layer, you will still get the sleep on top feel as compared to viscoelastic memory foam. I recently made some comparisons of VE foam to Latex here.

The Plank Natural is more likely to get you the feel that you prefer, but it is close to 75% of a cost increase over the PL.

Another mattress with a great support layer, and a firm but conforming comfort layer is the @DLX Premier Hybrid. Not as firm as the PL, but in an odd sort of way, it feels like a luxury Plank Luxe.

The Titan Plus Luxe is closer to the DLX premier hybrid The DLX has the edge on quality of material layers, plus it offers a split internal comfort layer option. Also, a bit more expensive than the TPL.

When it comes to comparing the costs between the Plank Natural, DLX Premier Hybrid, and the Plank Luxe or Titan Plus Luxe, think of it as an investment in long-term comfort. While the Natural and DLX may require a bit more upfront investment, they come with the promise of maintaining their posture and providing lasting service over time. So, while there might be a slight increase in immediate cost, the value over the years makes the difference negligible.

Now, let’s talk about the BeautyRest Pressure Smart Mattress. I’ve likened its effect to that of a tight swimming pool cover. Initially snug, it’s tightly wrapped around the foam edge support. The perimeter boasts firmness, but as the cover stretches and the memory foam comfort layer begins to conform, it gradually draws you toward the center. You and your partner may find yourselves naturally gravitating towards the middle, where your position sinks noticeably lower than the edges. Even when getting onto the mattress, the firmness of the edge almost propels you towards the center.

I will offer this video to explain the difference styles of edge supports, as these guys do a great job explaining it. Edge Support Explained

Sometimes I find it necessary to provide thorough explanations to ensure clarity. Sometimes too long, but hopefully, I have provided you with some additional guidance.

Maverick

Super helpful, thank you so much! I’ve narrowed my search down to three options.

Plank Luxe
Sealy Posturepedic Plus Ultra Firm
Luuf Ultra Firm

Based on your feedback leaning heavily toward the Plank, I will try and see if I find a local place that has the Sealy to try. I’d really perfer to avoid buying blind, but the Plank has by far the most feedback, so it’s the closest thing to having tried it.

As much as DIY sounds like a fun project, especially as an engineer. I really don’t want to get into a deep rabbit hole, which I know I will LOL.

1 Like

Ordered the Plank through yawnder.com!

1 Like

Awesome, I hope it works out as well as it did for us. We love it!