Looking to get thoughts on this DIY build

Hi Hevak,

I am familiar with the PressureSmart series. My brother bought one to replace the pull out couch bed we were killing our backs on when we visited. I told him we would be staying a hotel if he didnt get a normal mattress. He bought a PS Extra Firm. When we make a recent visit to SW Florida last month, my wife and I came home in pain (believe me, it was better than the pullout couch). It took almost 3 nights on the Plank Luxe for our pain to subside.

To answer this question, No. When you sleep on the Plank Luxe, you are basically sleeping on the top layer of the mattress. Very little sinking at all, almost none. You really lay flat. The top layer is not hard, but firm. The support spring layer in the Plank Luxe uses a 13.5gauge thickness, the comfort layer is a 1.8lb 36ILD and the quited cover panel is a 50ILD. So it is very firm.

You will notice a difference when you sit on the edge of the Plank Luxe vs PS. The PS will give the feeling of a more firm or solid edge. This is because of the high density foam edge support encased perimeter. While it may seem firmer and more solid that the edge to edge spring coils on the Plank Luxe, the PL springs will far out last the PS foam, as the foam will start to degrade and sag.

It’s important to recognize that everyone’s preferences and needs are unique when it comes to choosing a mattress. Personal preferences, posture, alignment, and pressure relief requirements all play a significant role in making the right choice. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution, and it’s perfectly valid for individuals to have different assessments and preferences.

If you like the feel those foam layers compress, but not the springs, I would suggest looking at the Brooklyn Bedding Titan Plus Luxe. It uses the same spring support system as the PL, but with a more conforming comfort layer, you will still get the sleep on top feel as compared to viscoelastic memory foam. I recently made some comparisons of VE foam to Latex here.

The Plank Natural is more likely to get you the feel that you prefer, but it is close to 75% of a cost increase over the PL.

Another mattress with a great support layer, and a firm but conforming comfort layer is the @DLX Premier Hybrid. Not as firm as the PL, but in an odd sort of way, it feels like a luxury Plank Luxe.

The Titan Plus Luxe is closer to the DLX premier hybrid The DLX has the edge on quality of material layers, plus it offers a split internal comfort layer option. Also, a bit more expensive than the TPL.

When it comes to comparing the costs between the Plank Natural, DLX Premier Hybrid, and the Plank Luxe or Titan Plus Luxe, think of it as an investment in long-term comfort. While the Natural and DLX may require a bit more upfront investment, they come with the promise of maintaining their posture and providing lasting service over time. So, while there might be a slight increase in immediate cost, the value over the years makes the difference negligible.

Now, let’s talk about the BeautyRest Pressure Smart Mattress. I’ve likened its effect to that of a tight swimming pool cover. Initially snug, it’s tightly wrapped around the foam edge support. The perimeter boasts firmness, but as the cover stretches and the memory foam comfort layer begins to conform, it gradually draws you toward the center. You and your partner may find yourselves naturally gravitating towards the middle, where your position sinks noticeably lower than the edges. Even when getting onto the mattress, the firmness of the edge almost propels you towards the center.

I will offer this video to explain the difference styles of edge supports, as these guys do a great job explaining it. Edge Support Explained

Sometimes I find it necessary to provide thorough explanations to ensure clarity. Sometimes too long, but hopefully, I have provided you with some additional guidance.

Maverick