Looking to purchase double sided mattress, would like opinion on ones I've found, and if anyone knows of other better ones also.

Hello, I have managed to find a couple of double sided mattresses with a minimum of padding to minimize the indentation problem that seems to be going on. My plan is to get a firm mattress and then add a topper if need be (probably 2" of hd23-hq foam.) Here are the ones I’ve found (if anyone knows of others I’d appreciate any information.) Thanks.

Serta – US Mattress ($900)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: Serta – US Mattress

Mattresses For Sale | Find Your Perfect Mattress | US-Mattress – US Mattress ($600)

Hi Alpharalpha,

So, it looks like you’re taking a different approach now in your search for the perfect mattress! :slight_smile:

He[quote]
llo, I have managed to find a couple of double sided mattresses with a minimum of padding to minimize the indentation problem that seems to be going on.
[/quote]

This is unfortunately all too common with the major brands in the industry, as the prevalent use of lower-density foams results in decreased comfort life and excessive body impressions, whether or not the foam feels firm (has a high ILD/IFD, but a low density).

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the foam durability guidelines here, these additional guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here). Until you can find those details about the foam used in those mattresses, you won’t be able to make an educated decision, and many of these brands unfortunately won’t even share foam densities with their representatives or retailers.

(if anyone knows of others I’d appreciate any information.) Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market). Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members on this site can help provide some insights of better quality two-sided mattresses for you.

Phoenix

Hey Alpharalpha:

There is a line of two-sided mattresses from Therapedic called the MediCoil HD. There is a firm model called the 1500. These use 1.8 lb. and 2.5 lb. polyurethane, which is true high-density and high-resiliency. You may want to see if someone sells them near you as one line to take a look at.

Full disclaimer, I am a Therapedic dealer. That’s how I’m familiar with this line.

Good luck!

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

I still am considering building my own foam mattress, that way I don’t have to worry about indentations, sagging etc because I’m buying the hq foams. And even if I get a innerspring set I’ll still get a hq topper for it. Thing is I do like the bounce of a spring mattress but would only consider 2 sided and can’t see paying all that much more than the foam mattress I can build. I would be much lower to the ground if I put the 6" of foam right on the slats but I’m sure there are higher bed frames, or I could pick up a box frame so foam bed is still very much an option–they even sell 6" mattress encasements for foam mattresses. I would think the orthopedic extra firm from Original Matrress Factory would be good with it’s 5 turn 12.75 gauge offset coils and working box spring except I read so many negative reviews, while the Serta I mentioned the reviews are all good but not only do I hear they are not a good company looking at the cut out it appears the coils only have one turn at 14.75 sure there are more of them than the ortho’ but whatever. This mattress field is one of the more deceptive ones I’ve researched a product for. If I build one out of hq foams that I can weigh to make sure I’ve got what I paid for I know from experience how it hold up. I was just thinking I like to sit up in bed and a firm innerspring mattress would be nice for that. I was just hoping someone would know more about 2 sided innerspring mattresses. I’m not going to chance wasting $900 when for $3–$400 I can get a quality foam one (maybe $500 or 6 if I buy a box spring or a high platform frame. Just looking for answers.

[quote=“Phoenix” post=67251]Hi Alpharalpha,

So, it looks like you’re taking a different approach now in your search for the perfect mattress! :slight_smile:

He[quote]llo, I have managed to find a couple of double sided mattresses with a minimum of padding to minimize the indentation problem that seems to be going on.[/quote]

This is unfortunately all too common with the major brands in the industry, as the prevalent use of lower-density foams results in decreased comfort life and excessive body impressions, whether or not the foam feels firm (has a high ILD/IFD, but a low density).

[quote]My plan is to get a firm mattress
Here are the ones I’ve found
Serta – US Mattress ($900)
Mattresses For Sale | Find Your Perfect Mattress | US-Mattress – US Mattress ($600)[/quote]

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the foam durability guidelines here, these additional guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here). Until you can find those details about the foam used in those mattresses, you won’t be able to make an educated decision, and many of these brands unfortunately won’t even share foam densities with their representatives or retailers.

(if anyone knows of others I’d appreciate any information.) Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market). Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members on this site can help provide some insights of better quality two-sided mattresses for you.

Phoenix[/quote]

Hi alpharalpha,

[quote]
I still am considering building my own foam mattress, that way I don’t have to worry about indentations, sagging etc because I’m buying the hq foams.[/quote]

All foams will soften and wear down over time. Higher-density foams (I think what you refer to as hq) will tend to have better durability, but that is no guarantee against depressions over time.

Reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). It’s the worst way to choose a mattress, as opposed to the objective manner of selecting a mattress that I’ve provided the links to in my previous replies to your posts…

While knowing the specs that can affect the quality and durability of the layers and components in a mattress is always important … unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid using complex specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on specs for single layers or components that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe it is then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. Even the best mattress designers in the industry are often surprised at what a mattress they design “should have felt like” based on the specs when they design it and what it “actually feels like” when they test out their new design. Asking for opinions here (and on other forums) for your own DIY mattress combinations is counterproductive and won’t result in the best use of your time and energies. The only way to know whether any specific mattress design or combination of layers and components is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing and/or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

That’s why I put together the Mattress Shopping Tutorial (and this entire site) and it describes in detail how to avoid the pitfalls and what to learn about and look for when purchasing or designing a mattress.

I posted in one of my previous replies to you some information about two-sided mattresses. In case you missed it, look at post #2 here and post #2 here and post #2 here and the links listed in those posts. There is more about some of the other factors that can contribute to durability and the useful life of a one or two-sided mattress relative to different people in the durability guidelines here as well. Regardless of whether you’re building your own mattress or looking at one that is already constructed, I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components, and that’s one of your necessary tasks to perform yourself as you go through this process. Don’t rely upon reviews.

The goal of this site is to give people enough information that they can replace hindsight with foresight and better understand all the factors and tradeoffs that can go into buying/building a mattress and figuring out what are the most important parts of your personal value equation. This is why I provide guidelines for assessing the materials within a mattress a little more carefully and objectively so that the odds of success are higher (although they will never be foolproof). Helping people to evaluate these ahead of time rather than after the fact is one of the main goals of the site, as opposed to relying upon reviews or other people’s opinions, because, as I often state on the site…It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I wish you good luck with your project! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix”]
Hi Alpharalpha,

I’m not agree with you. I bought Serta mattress, First mattress made over eighty years. Mattresses have multiple layers of material designed to proper pressure relief as well as premium quality materials. Here`s a good article with examples jonsguide Even when you toss and turn during the sleep you awake feeling refreshed.