Looking to Purchase Latex Mattress-Familiar with brand Grand Rapids Bedding - Is this a good buy?

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a natural latex mattress due to the potential toxicity from memory foam and spring mattresses, especially as I have recent auto immune issues. Latex mattresses are a bit pricier, but I did find one on ebay that is suppose to be 100% all natural dunlop and talalay, but I can’t find much on the brand, Grand Rapid Bedding, it is the supreme comfort 12". I found their website http://www.grandrapidsbedding.com/

I was hoping some with more mattress experience can tell me if they are familiar with this company, if its a good buy $1,189, free shipping, and if i am making a good choice to purchase latex. Thanks!

Hi the1nonlymekels,

Grand Rapids Bedding is a licensee factory for Spring Air. They are a wholesale manufacturer that normally sells their mattresses through stores in the area.

I would normally be very cautious about buying a mattress on ebay because it’s very possible that you would be buying a comfort or a warranty return which is a used mattress without a warranty rather than a new mattress with a warranty so I called Grand Rapids Bedding to find out whether they are a legitimate dealer that is selling new mattresses and they confirmed that they were.

Having said that … there is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful “value” comparisons with other mattresses that may be similar.

The most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is the suitability of a mattress for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). When you can’t test a mattress in person then the return or exchange policy may become a much more important consideration in case you buy a mattress that isn’t a good “match” for you so I would make sure you talk with them to find out all the specifics of their return policy and any costs involved.

After PPP … the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is the quality of the materials inside it so you can make sure that there are no obvious weak links in the mattress (see this article). The mattress you are looking at is a latex/polyfoam hybrid that includes 3" of polyfoam over the latex (so you would be sleeping more on polyfoam than on latex) which is more than I would normally be comfortable with and I would want to know the density of the foam because it could be a significant weak link in this mattress (see the foam quality guidelines here).

The latex comfort layers underneath the polyfoam quilting are good quality materials but the weakest link of this type of mattress would be the materials over the latex.

I would also want to know the density of the 7" polyfoam support core as well so you can make more meaningful comparisons to other similar mattresses.

If you can call them and find out the missing information about the density of the polyfoam layers and post it on the forum I’d be happy to make more comments about the mattress and the quality of the materials inside it.

If for any reason you can’t find out the information you would need to make sure that there are no weak links and make more meaningful comparisons with other similar mattresses (some of which may be better value choices that don’t have any weak links) then I would pass it by.

Phoenix

Thank you for your insight Phoenix, I will get the more specific to find out if it is a good value.