Loom & Leaf vs Amerisleep

I’ve tried a bunch of mattresses and am struggling to find one that works for me. I sleep on my back and side. My back prefers a firmer mattress, but my shoulders prefer something softer. I’ve tried two Latex mattresses, including Flobeds, but latex just doesn’t seem to have enough support for my lower back. I’ve tried Helix and T&N, also which also weren’t enough support for my lower back. The only one that solved my lower back pain was Sealy Posturpedic Hybrid, but I returned it because I don’t think it will last - too many reviewers said it broke down quickly, and the model in the store was much softer than the one I tried even after sleeping on it for 120 days, so I don’t think it will remain supportive enough over time, and I also would prefer a more natural mattress. I haven’t tried a true memory foam mattress, so I think that might be worth a shot. I am considering Loom & Leaf or Amerisleep. On both I am not sure whether to get the firmer version (Revere from Ameriasleep) or the medium firm (Liberty from Amerisleep). I think the support for my lower back is more important that the shoulder comfort because the back pain wakes me up in the night and is more intense than the shoulder stiffness which is more of a “next day” phenomena. Has anyone tried both of these mattresses, and do you have any advise? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi jsuehl,

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

Each mattress category can include hundreds of different mattresses with a very wide range of different designs, different “feels”, different characteristics, and different firmness levels. Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting material) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so each mattress category will generally include some mattresses that will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and others that use the same type of materials and components and are in the same category may but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on … even if it uses the same general type of materials and components.

Latex comes in a wide range of firmness levels but in general terms is a more “supportive” material than other types of foam because it has a higher compression modulus (the rate that a foam material becomes firmer as you compress it more deeply) than either memory foam or polyfoam in the same firmness level so if a mattress isn’t a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP then it would be more because the specific design of the mattress (the thickness and firmness of the layers and components in the mattress) wasn’t a good “match” for you than because of the specific type of materials.

Zoning systems (such as Flobed’s vZone) can sometimes be useful and worth considering for people that have more difficulty finding a mattress with the right “balance” between comfort/pressure relief (under the shoulders especially) and support/alignment (under the hips/pelvis especially) or who have more challenging circumstances or sensitivities, body types that are more difficult to “match” to a mattress, more complex medical issues, or who have a history of having more difficulty in finding a mattress that works well for them. There is more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to but the only way to know whether any specific mattress (zoned or otherwise) will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP will be based on your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) or your own personal experience when you sleep on it.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here along with post #3 here and post #12 here and post #404 here).

In other words you were wise to avoid it.

Again the type of materials and components or the category of mattress is a preference choice more than a better/worse choice so just like any other type of mattress … some memory foam mattresses may be a suitable “match” for you and others may also be unsuitable for you to sleep on.

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that once again you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are some comments about the Loom & Leaf along with many of the other “simplified choice” online mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and the first post in the same topic would probably be worth reading as well. There are also some more detailed comments in post #5 here. A forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about it as well.

You can read more about Amerisleep and their sister companies and their so called “expert sites” that pose as being independent review sites in post #2 here and the posts it links to. A forum search on Amerisleep (you can just click the link) will bring up will bring up all the forum posts that mention them as well.

While I can’t speak to how either of the Amerisleep mattresses will feel to you or whether they will be a good match in terms of PPP … in terms of durability the Liberty uses 1.5 lb polyfoam in the transition and base layers which are a lower density material than I would normally suggest (see the durability guidelines here) and would be a weak link in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress. The Revere doesn’t have a transition layer and uses a 1.65 lb polyfoam base layer which is a little better in terms of density and durability but it’s also lower than the minimum density guidelines I would normally suggest for a mattress in this budget range.

There would be better quality/value memory foam mattresses available to you than either Loom & Leaf or Amerisleep and if you are looking at online memory foam options then the mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of many of the better online memory foam options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) in a range of different designs, budgets, firmness levels, and with a range of different return/exchange policies that may be worth considering.

If you have tried many online mattresses and haven’t been successful then it may also be worth considering a local mattress that you can test in person before a purchase.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Contact the doctor at selectabed who designed them. They are pricey but when you look at the overall picturte and take everything into consideration, it is very tempting to my way of thinking. .He would suggest which of his beds he thinks would be best for you and if it doesn’t work out they will work with you to make you satisfied through adjustments or a refund.

Thanks for the feedback Phoenix. I live in Phoenix, Arizona (85022), so if there is anywhere with showrooms here you would recommend looking at please do let me know.

I have put a topper on my Helix bed and it is feeling better, so I’m going to give it some more time.

I read your post about the various on-line mattress retailers and found it to be quite helpful. Through trying various mattresses I have come to agree that you just have no idea how your body will react until you sleep on it. It sounds like Novosbed might be a good option to try next to test a memory foam bed if Helix doesn’t work out. I haven’t tried a memory foam bed yet and I like that they have been around a little longer, use quality materials and can adjust the firmness if needed.

Thanks again!

Julie

Hi jsuehl,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Phoenix area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked at the beginning of my last reply) are listed in post #4 here.

You are fortunate to live where you do since several of the manufacturing members of this site are based there which gives you the chance to test mattresses in person that most of the rest of the members that live in other areas of the country can only order online without being able to test them first.

Phoenix

Phoenix - Wow, I didn’t realize that there were so many local manufacturers. I have tried T&N, and it didn’t agree with my body at all. Also tried Arizona Premium Mattress and had to return that too.

I will be in Denver for a few weeks - are there any companies with showrooms there I should try?

I like the idea of Latex because it is the most natural, so I’ve tried two of them - Az Premium Mattress and Flobeds. I really thought Flobeds would work. Because I was concerned about it not being supportive enough after my experience with Az Premium Mattress, I even ordered the Super Firm Core and paid extra for it, but still I couldn’t get away from a lower back ache coming on half way through the night. I had to use a topper with it because it felt hard from a “feel” standpoint, but my hips just felt like they sank too much. I was able to move all the layers around and try different configurations, but nothing worked. It has made me think that Latex just isn’t supportive enough for me because i was on very firm latex, yet my hips felt unsupported… Unless somehow their “zoning” causes it to loose support since the pieces are not fused between zones. They were great to work with and I was very disappointed that it didn’t work out. I haven’t tried Dunlap Latex - maybe that would be different. I wish Latex would work for me but I’m not sure I should give it a third try.

I just called about my Helix bed and they said the top layer is poly foam because of the firmness I choose, and the bottom layer has “some” latex in it, but the rep sounded a little unsure about the bottom layer. Now I’m wondering if it’s just a 100% poly foam bed due to the firmness I chose (I chose a medium firm). Is that bad if it is as far as it lasting and retaining support over the long term?

Hi jsuehl,

Tuft & Needle only makes one mattress but Arizona Premium makes a very wide range of mattresses that have different designs and firmness levels so it’s certainly possible that one of their mattresses may be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP.

You mentioned this is a previous post and you can see my comments in my previous reply here. Latex is the most “supportive” of all the foam materials and it’s more likely that the design of the mattress and the specific combination of layers and components you tried just weren’t a good “match” for you in terms of PPP.

Firmer materials are not necessarily more “supportive” and if you sleep on the floor as an example (which would be firmer than any mattress) it would certainly provide very poor support that wouldn’t keep your spine in neutral alignment.

“Support” is often misunderstood because the goal of a “supportive” mattress is to keep the spine and joints in good alignment and this requires the type of contouring support that allows some parts of the body to sink in more (softer) and some parts of the body to sink in less (firmer) and this will vary on an individual basis based on body type and sleeping style. There is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support/alignment” and “comfort/pressure relief” and “feel” and how they interact together.

All their different options include microcoils, polyfoam, and Dunlop latex but they are used in different orders and the polyfoam and latex can have different firmness levels as well depending on the specific design.

You can see my thoughts about the type and quality of the materials in the Helix mattress along with many of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here in the simplified choice topic and post #1 in the same topic would be worth reading as well. For those that are in a more “average” weight range there would be no lower quality materials or weak links that are likely to compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

I don’t know where to put my review of Amerisleep, so I’m replying here, but feel free to move it to a more appropriate spot as needed.
I did some mattress research, but clearly not enough before deciding to try to Amerisleep AS3 mattress. I am a side sleeper with shoulder issues (tall and thin build) and my husband is a back and side sleeper with some lower back issues (tall and thin build). I chose the AS3 because it was a little less expensive than the next softer model, and it was listed as their most popular for mixed sleeping styles. Ordering was easy, delivery was fast, and setup was also easy. There was absolutely zero smell, and it inflated very quickly. Just lying on it felt firm with a little memory foam sink, as you’d expect. I really wanted to love the mattress, but after two weeks of sleeping on it, my shoulder was really hurting. My husband did not have any complaints. I hoped that it would give in a little more over the next two weeks, but it didn’t, and I chose to get my money back.
Up to this point, I had no complaints whatsoever. I called and received an email within 30 minutes initiating the return and was told they would work on finding a charity to pick it up.
They also said I could find a charity if I wanted to. In the meantime, I was contacted by my credit card company that my card was being used for fraudulent charges. The only place I’d used my card in the prior 6 weeks was…Amerisleep. Thankfully, my card company reimbursed all fraud charges, but that was a headache I didn’t need. I emailed them again to ask about pickup with no immediate response. I finally had to call again and was told that they didn’t have anyone to pick up the mattress in my area. At this point it had been in my foyer for a week, and the refund could not be initiated until I had a donation receipt in hand. So I had to find my own charity and schedule a pickup. I took a picture of the donation receipt and emailed it to them. No immediate response. It wasn’t until I posted a negative review that the refund was initiated. It took a couple of weeks, but I did get my money back. The mattress itself was not a bad product, it was just too firm for me, but the credit card fraud issue and having to find my own charity and schedule a pickup was not something I felt was my job, but I had to do it to get my money back.