Lower back pain and memory foam

Ughh so I had to buy a Queen memory foam mattress from :nauseated_face: big lots…I didn’t have a lot of money so I just did it. Now I regret it everyday. The base doesn’t seem to effectively work?? It has a wooden base too but I sink in and causes so much back pain. (I’m 27 and have arthritis and sciatic issues) what do I do?? Do I take the metal support off and just have the wooden base and matress or do I need to consider getting a different bed?? I don’t really have the funds for a new bed but I can’t sleep well at all !!

Hi Skullkidd13,

Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and becoming a new MUGster.

I’m sorry to hear about your discomfort. Clearly, your current mattress setup isn’t providing the support you need, especially given your arthritis and sciatic issues. Here are some things you could consider:

First and foremost. You have not provided any profile information: height, weight, sleep position, and other pertinent information about your sleep style and previous successes on a mattress.

Additionally, it would be helpful to understand which exact mattress and base you selected.

From a general standpoint here are some observations albeit without the necessary information, these are the suggested steps you should take:

1. Contact the Retailer: Since you recently purchased the mattress, it’s worth reaching out to Big Lots to see if they have a return or exchange policy. Explain your situation and inquire about options for returning or exchanging the mattress.

2. Check Warranty: Many mattresses come with warranties that cover defects in materials or workmanship. Check if your mattress has a warranty and if it covers issues like sagging or insufficient support. If it does, you may be eligible for a replacement or refund.

3. Adjust the Base: If the mattress is compatible with both a metal support and a wooden base, you could try removing the metal support and using only the wooden base. Experimenting with different setups might improve your comfort.

If none of these options provide relief, investing in a new mattress designed specifically for individuals with back pain and joint issues might be necessary for your long-term comfort and health.

Quite frankly, step one is the best option. I know it sounds harsh, but buying a quality mattress is a key component to a healthy, restful and pain free sleep.

Many mattress companies offer programs such as affirm, sunbit, and in-house payment programs.

There are indeed mattresses available at a lower price point that can still provide decent comfort and support. While they may not have all the bells and whistles of higher-end models, they can certainly serve as a viable solution, especially if you’re on a tight budget. It’s important to prioritize your immediate comfort and health needs while considering the long-term durability of the mattress.

Shopping around and reading reviews can help you find a budget-friendly option that suits your preferences and provides adequate support for your back and joints.

If you PM me with your budget, I can certainly help you explore budget-friendly mattress options here. If you’re comfortable sharing your budget range, preferences, and any specific needs or concerns you have, I can provide recommendations and guidance to help you find a suitable mattress within your price range. Feel free to share any details you’re comfortable with, and I’ll do my best to assist you!

All the best to you,

Maverick

2 Likes