Lower back pain

Another sleepless night for me! For the past three-four months now I have been waking up with lower back pain. I am guessing it is caused by my mattress that I purchased a couple years ago. I currently have a select foam mattress with a topper that has a ILD of 22-24. A thought I also had was maybe the foundation (wood planks) possibly be an issue. I prefer to sleep on my stomach and side at times but mostly my stomach. Is there any remedies that I can try prior to looking for another mattress and giving away a newer mattress that I purchased in 2014? Thanks for the help!

Hi jbake37,

There are some suggestions for a mattress that is too soft in post #4 here that may be helpful.

I’m not sure how thick your topper is but it may also be part of the problem as well. You may do better without the topper or perhaps with a thinner topper.

Stomach sleepers tend to do better with a firmer mattress than back and especially side sleepers to prevent the hips/pelvis from sagging into the mattress and sleeping in a swayback position and adding a softer topper on top of a mattress that already has some softer materials in the comfort layers could easily result in comfort layers that are too thick/soft for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, this for the reply. My current topper is 2" thick. I question the stability and support of the foundation and I will try other methods you have mentioned. Thanks again.

Hi jbake37,

You can check the support of the foundation by putting your mattress on the floor to see if it makes any noticeable difference.

Phoenix