Luma Hybrid Slumber / Ghostbed Flex / Brooklyn Bedding Aurora

hi TMU folks, im in search of a new mattress and have short listed my options down to

1. luma hybrid slumber
  2. ghostbed flex
  3. brooklyn bedding aurora

I am 5’11, 230lbs and am primarily a side, sometimes a back sleeper with no pain or heat issues when sleeping. I am coming from a traditional innerspring mattress that i have owned for 10~ or so years. I would love it if folks who have owned either of these 3 could share their experience and/or thoughts with these mattress especially if you fall under the same weight range as i do.

Aside from that I do have some specific questions:

1. With LUMA are the two parts of the matterss fitted together in any specific way or do they just lay ontop of each other? Any issues the top moving around?

2. With ghostbed flex i do see from other posts here that higher weight individuals should be slightly cautious. Do i fall under that range?

3. I dont see mentions of Brooklyn Bedding specifically on https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/simplified-choice-mattresses-aka-disruptors-bed-in-a-box-one-choice-fits-all-universal-comfort-millennial-mattresses . Is there a reason for that? I do see mentions that were a member in some posts but no longer? The only reason why this is on my list is because i had the opportunity to try this mattress in person and i liked it.

4. I know that LUMA and Ghost are both members here at TMU and have good construction in their beds but i was wondering if there is one that i should be leaning to in terms of durability with my weight and sleeping habits.

Thanks for reading and i really hope to gain some knowledge from you all.

Hello tti,

Thanks for reaching out to Luma Sleep via The Mattress Underground. Because we are biased in favor of our products, we should not reply to your last question. We’ll leave that up to Sensei or Phoenix.
The Pillow Top layer rests on top of the base mattress in all the designs. That’s why it’s called a Pillow Top. :wink: In regards to your question regarding any movement of the pillow top layer in Luma’s 2 layer mattress collection, we can state with complete confidence that movement is not an issue. The pillow top design uses a non-skid fabric on the bottom of the zippered cover; this creates a high coefficient of friction that resists movement. Both the pillow top and base mattress are then covered with a fitted mattress protector and fitted sheets. These encase both layers nicely. Lastly, the pillow top is made of latex foam, a high density and heavy material that in combination with your body weight, provides a strong vertical force that locks in the two layers.
Hope this helps!
Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Team Luma

Happy thanksgiving weekend to you ask well and thank you for the response! I do have a few specific questions for the team if you dont mind:

1. In terms of latex hybrid and hybrid slumber, why would someone choose one over the other? I do see that the coil system is different as is the transitional layer.

2. Specifically for the latex hybrid since its just the luma mattres + a topper why aren’t all the topper options available such as the sweet dreams hybrid topper or the organic wool topper (doesnt seem to fit with the luma bed package and seems like something someone with a different mattress would buy… but just wanted to ask).

3. Because the 2 part-bed system is fairly unique - can you speak as to why Luma went with this approach, the pros/cons of doing so? Immediate pro i can see is the easy part of customizing, the con being that it is two parts (unless you see this as a pro?).

Thanks for taking the time to read my inquires

[quote=“Luma Sleep” post=83429]Hello tti,

Thanks for reaching out to Luma Sleep via The Mattress Underground. Because we are biased in favor of our products, we should not reply to your last question. We’ll leave that up to Sensei or Phoenix.
The Pillow Top layer rests on top of the base mattress in all the designs. That’s why it’s called a Pillow Top. :wink: In regards to your question regarding any movement of the pillow top layer in Luma’s 2 layer mattress collection, we can state with complete confidence that movement is not an issue. The pillow top design uses a non-skid fabric on the bottom of the zippered cover; this creates a high coefficient of friction that resists movement. Both the pillow top and base mattress are then covered with a fitted mattress protector and fitted sheets. These encase both layers nicely. Lastly, the pillow top is made of latex foam, a high density and heavy material that in combination with your body weight, provides a strong vertical force that locks in the two layers.
Hope this helps!
Happy Thanksgiving weekend!

Team Luma[/quote]

still looking for any additional info regarding any of the mattress i have mentioned above if any generous individual(s) would like to share!

Hey tti,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: ! See you’ve had some Q & A with Team Luma but still have some unanswered questions regarding @Ghostbed and Brooklyn Bedding? I’m moving your question from Luma Sleep’s forum to the General Forum where it will have better visibility. Just to recap from your initial question:

[quote]hi TMU folks, im in search of a new mattress and have short listed my options down to

1. luma hybrid slumber
  2. ghostbed flex
  3. brooklyn bedding aurora

I am 5’11, 230lbs and am primarily a side, sometimes a back sleeper with no pain or heat issues when sleeping. I am coming from a traditional innerspring mattress that i have owned for 10~ or so years. I would love it if folks who have owned either of these 3 could share their experience and/or thoughts with these mattress especially if you fall under the same weight range as i do.
[/quote]

Any updates on your search efforts so far?

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for the thread movement Sensei. I havent gone ahead and pulled the plug yet to try one just wanted to hear about general experience regarding luma/ghost/aurora if folks want to share. I like all 3 but nothing is causing me to try one over the other. Any advice or things per each bed/brand that you think i should take into account when choosing?

Hello tti,
Luma Sleep’s best sources are its customers. Luma’s independent customer reviews through Yotpo on the Hybrid Slumber System, the model that likely is most similar to your 10±year-old mattress you are looking to replace are on the Product Page. Just click on the 52 reviews link on the product page above the phrase Amazing Balance of Comfort & Support!
https://lumasleep.com/products/latex-hybrid-slumber-system

Hope this helps!

Team Luma

[quote=“Luma Sleep” post=83493]Hello tti,
Luma Sleep’s best sources are its customers. Luma’s independent customer reviews through Yotpo on the Hybrid Slumber System, the model that likely is most similar to your 10±year-old mattress you are looking to replace are on the Product Page. Just click on the 52 reviews link on the product page above the phrase Amazing Balance of Comfort & Support!
https://lumasleep.com/products/latex-hybrid-slumber-system

Hope this helps!

Team Luma
[/quote]

Are you able to answer any of the 3 questions i asked above?

1. In terms of latex hybrid and hybrid slumber, why would someone choose one over the other? I do see that the coil system is different as is the transitional layer.

2. Specifically for the latex hybrid since its just the luma mattres + a topper why aren’t all the topper options available such as the sweet dreams hybrid topper or the organic wool topper (doesnt seem to fit with the luma bed package and seems like something someone with a different mattress would buy… but just wanted to ask).

3. Because the 2 part-bed system is fairly unique - can you speak as to why Luma went with this approach, the pros/cons of doing so? Immediate pro i can see is the easy part of customizing, the con being that it is two parts (unless you see this as a pro?).

Hey,

As a Brooklyn Bedding customer I wanted to chime in and say that the overall view of the forum seems favorable, from what ive read.

I recently bought their signature series, and it hasnt really worked for me. I am of a similar height and weight to yourself. I have tried both the signature medium and firm options, and neither one solved my lower back problems. (Which i never had before i bought a cheap memory foam.)

I am currently looking into their titan series which is apparently for heavier folks, and trying to compare that with their aurora and spartan series.

[quote=“WTBSleepSev” post=83521]Hey,

As a Brooklyn Bedding customer I wanted to chime in and say that the overall view of the forum seems favorable, from what ive read.

I recently bought their signature series, and it hasnt really worked for me. I am of a similar height and weight to yourself. I have tried both the signature medium and firm options, and neither one solved my lower back problems. (Which i never had before i bought a cheap memory foam.)

I am currently looking into their titan series which is apparently for heavier folks, and trying to compare that with their aurora and spartan series.[/quote]

thanks for your response. are you saying that BB uses cheap memory foam? i havent tried the signature but have tried the aurora in medium and it felt not bad to me. Seemed to be okay in terms of firmness for a primarily side sleeper… was just unsure of its durability.

sorry for the confusion, no i was saying I had previously had a cheap pure memory foam mattress. That said, the signature series wasnt supportive enough for me, not sure if it was the foam or the springs.