Macy's Salesman Switched Purchased Mattress

Hello,

I desperately needed a new mattress but held off from purchasing one because of the overwhelming information. I actually felt it was betting to continue sleeping on my convertible couch which I have come accustomed rather than lose hundred of $$ on a mattress that I would eventually come to hate. Weird I know.

With the 4th of July and its big sales drawing near I finally decided to purchase a mattress. With 2 days to spare I started searching and reading about mattresses. I came across this great site July 3rd. I knew I would not recall much of the information I read but I did the best I could. I learned, or thought I did, a pillow top mattress would not be a good choice for me because of its tendency to collapse. At 5’4 and 270 lbs, I have moderate arthritis and other knee problems. Since walking is difficult for me, I could not travel from store to store testing mattresses. I had to choose one. With my aide in tow we hopped the Access-A-Ride Bus and headed off to Macys.

The salesman was abrupt and seemed intent on selling me one particular mattress after I told him I was willing to spend around $700.00. I actually had to insist he show me other mattresses. I should have walked out of the store but I was already overwhelmed and did not want to go through it again. I wanted a firm mattress but the few tight tops he showed me from Sealy, Serter and Beauty Rest were too firm. Twice he wanted me to try a Serter pillow top but I refused. Each time I told him I did not want a pillow top. Finally I decided on one of the Sealy’s tight top at a final cost of $979 and free delivery.

After I arrived home I began going over my receipt and noticed the name of the mattress set was not there. It was identified by a number only. I called my salesman who I could not reach but left a message for him to return my call. I then call Macy’s main number, was transferred to the mattress department and spoke to another salesperson who informed me my purchased was a Serte Serenity Bay Pillow Top Plush mattress! :woohoo: Again I tried to reach my salesman but to no avail but left him another message. I received an email regarding my purchase and confirmation delivery date. I responded with what occurred and for someone to contact me asap.

I apologize for the long post, but hope you can offer some information about this mattress. I want to cancel this purchase based on principles alone, however I am reluctant to go through another purchase. Yet this is a mattress I have not tried and I am anxious about the outcome. I do not have a $1000 to throw away. Please help.

Thank you.

Hi vaesther,

If the mattress that is due to be delivered is a completely different mattress from the one you ordered I personally would call and cancel the delivery. It certainly doesn’t appear to fit your criteria for a firm mattress.

I would also read the mattress shopping tutorial here and the mattress shopping guidelines here because I would also suggest avoiding stores like Macy’s or any of the major brands or any brand or store where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of the materials that are inside a mattress that you are considering (see this article).

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix,

Thank you very much for your quick reply and information.

Surprisingly the Macy’s salesman finally returned my call with an apology for the mistake and I cancelled my order. I live in New York City, where should I shop for a mattress in my price range of $800.00?

How about this place? They manufacture their own mattresses, so they’ll be a MUCH better value than one you buy at Macy’s, plus they’ll likely be of higher quality to boot.

brooklynbedding.com/

Hi vaesther,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area are listed in post #2 here.

The tutorial post also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (including Brooklyn Bedding which Analog J linked and which is one of the members of the site) in the optional “online” step if you are comfortable looking at an online purchase.

Post #4 here also includes several sources for some lower budget online mattresses of many different types (in the $600 or less budget range for a queen) that may also be helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you Analog J and Phoenix,

This is so overwhelming, I am almost at the point of giving up and continuing to sleep on my old convertible couch. With my condition this is not an option and I have put off purchasing a bed long enough. I dare not buy a mattress online because I am too inexperienced. Also, I realized the mattresses I tested at Macy’s including the one selected were actually too firm for me. I made the selection on a pray that it would eventually soften and I would be comfortable. Sounds crazy I know. I must test a mattress before making the purchase.

Hi vaesther,

If you follow the steps in the tutorial one step at a time and focus on dealing with knowledgeable and experienced manufacturers and retailers that can give you good guidance and are transparent about all the materials in their mattresses you will be fine.

It’s always a good idea to do some careful and objective local testing before making any purchase so you have some good reference points for the types of mattress and firmness levels that you tend to prefer and do best with … even if you end up buying a mattress online.

Phoenix

Again, thank you Phoenix. I will continue to study the information you and this site has provided but I know I will be back with more questions.

My concerns are selecting a good mattress manufacturer and affording one of their mattress.

Hi vaesther,

Questions are a “good thing” … and are always welcome :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello,

I was just cleaning out my computer when I came across this conversation and realized I had not given you a final update. Your site was a tremendous help to me and again I thank you.

Well, several days after our last conversation my aide and I took a trip to Craig’s Beds in mid-town Manhattan. After sleeping with springs as a bed partner for years it was quite difficult to select a mattress within my price range that I did not want to take home and marry. However, Craig (the owner) was friendly and quite knowledgeable and helped to narrow down the best choices for me based on my disability and sleeping habits. I finally purchased (get this): The Craig’s Bed (http://www.craigsbeds.com/thecraigsbed) Craig also kindly gave me a discount on a box spring and frame and a wonderful gift.

Its been over a year and I LOVE my bed but just as important I still recall the delightful experience I had at Craig’s Bed though I was quite testy with all my suspicious questions. :slight_smile:

God Bless you Phoenix and all the contributors of The Mattress Underground. This was one aspect of my life you made so much simpler.

Hi vaesther,

Thanks for taking the time to come back and share an update with your comments and feedback and for letting us know what you ended up purchasing.

It’s great to hear that everything turned out well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix