macys tempur-pedic

I know that the tempur-pedic mattress is not a great value and you can get a comparable mattress elsewhere, however, if you absolutely must buy a tempur-pedic mattress from macys would anyone happen to know which ones are constructed using the best materials?

Hi jackie311,

This would depend entirely on how you define “the best materials” and whether your definition is more based on durability or on performance and the suitability of a mattress for your body type, sleeping style, and preferences.

In general terms higher density foams are more durable but there is little “value” to a mattress that uses more durable materials if you don’t sleep well on it.

Tempurpedic doesn’t generally provide their foam specs to customers but the Contour series uses various combinations of Tempurpedics 5.3 and/or 7 lb memory foams which are both high quality and durable materials.

The Cloud series uses their 4 lb memory foam in addition to the 5.3 and 7 lb memory foams in various combinations (depending on the mattress). Their 4 lb memory foam is a softer but less durable memory foam that has a faster response and is a little less temperature sensitive but because it’s used in their softer mattresses it wouldn’t be as good a choice for those that are in higher weight ranges.

Their Weightless collection uses a combination of a thinner layer of 4 lb memory foam on top of a more resilient very high density polyfoam (which isn’t temperature sensitive and is more resilient than memory foam) for those that prefer a more resilient mattress that is less motion restricting.

The polyfoam base layers that they use in all their mattresses were good quality materials but they don’t disclose the density and there is some evidence that at least some of them now use a lower quality 1.5 lb polyfoam in their support core although in most cases the support core isn’t the weak link of a mattress.

Memory foam in a 5 lb or higher density range would be a good quality and durable material while memory foam in a 4 lb or higher density range would be a medium density/durability material that would be more suitable for weight ranges that are more average or lighter (at about 200 lbs or so I would consider reducing or eliminating the use of 4 lb memory foam).

While I wouldn’t generally consider any of the Tempurpedic mattresses since there are so many other memory foam mattresses that use the same or higher quality materials in lower budget ranges … this may be helpful for those that for some reason are only looking at Tempurpedic.

If you do a forum search on any particular model you will likely find the specifics of the layering for that model or if you can’t I’d be happy to let you know any of the specs that I’m aware of.

Phoenix

thank you for the reply. Great news…I called Macy’s today and asked for a refund (instead of a credit towards a new mattress) and they are giving it to me! My 2nd mattress in two years from them was defective. I was SHOCKED that they refunded me. The woman on the phone said because it was the 2nd defective mattress, they would refund me. Never hurst to ask I guess ! SO now I have 30 days to do my research and find a good place to buy a new mattress in Long Island, NY. very excited!

Hi jackie311,

That certainly is great news … and I’m glad you asked them.

To their credit … you are not the only person on the forum that was able to get a refund from Macys (see post #1 here) although there may have been some others as well that didn’t post the outcome of their experience with Macys. There were also a few where Macys told them that their only option was an exchange so you really are fortunate.

You may have seen this already but just in case you haven’t … the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Long Island and nearby New York areas are listed or linked in post #4 here.

Phoenix

thank you again for the reply Phoenix. I read post #4 regarding the factories near my home. Sleep Works in Massapequa, NY is just 5 min from my house so I think we are going to check them out and see if they will give me the specs on any of their mattresses (assuming we like any of them). Our budget is $2,500 for a King. If that doesn’t work out, we will try to get into NYC to either of the two places that were listed.

Hi jackie311,

Your budget is certainly reasonable and easily enough to buy a high quality mattress.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix