Magniflex (magnigel)/Essentia type mattress

Having tried several mattress, I found the ones I liked the most were the magniflex magnigel, and the Essentia (energy opus I think). What I liked about them was that they were supportive, yet soft, and no sinking into the mattress. I like that the magnigel has a cooling layer.
Based on rave reviews, I tried all latex but found them too bouncy. The only option I obviously haven’t tried is the do it yourself mattress with a latex topper which many people love.
I’m wondering if you are familiar with the feel of the magnigel mattress and if that would be possible to obtain with a do it yourself mattress.
We are both side/back sleepers, he’s about 5’10, 170lbs, me 5’2, 115.

Hi sonoliento,

Sorry I have not tried the Magniflex mattresses, and therefor cannot give you any advice on how they feel. As for trying to replicate the feel of it, I would not recommend it. They seem to use a wide variety of materials in their mattresses therefor making it almost impossible to replicate without a great deal of research and trial and error.

good luck with your purchase, and please keep us up to date with what you decide to do,

all the best

What might you recommend if I were to build a memory foam mattress that provides supportive but soft feel, that is cooling? I do not like the feel of tempur pedic as they feel sinky and gluey.

Also if there is anyone reading this who has a magnigel, I’d love to hear your opinion.

Sonoleinto,

I’m not familiar with the Magnigel concept, but what you’re explaining (soft but still supportive without sinking into the mattress, yet not as bouncy as latex) sounds a lot like a foam called Energex. Not all foam makes you sink into the mattress. Energex is basically a cross between the benefits of latex and memory foam in that it has far better pressure relief than latex, but far more bounce and support than memory foam.

We carry some of this in 10 IFD and 18 IFD, both are 3# densities. It’s a very high performing product. The interesting part of these foams is that they get bouncier as you lay on them, meaning you get support long-term, but it maintains some motion isolation between the two sleepers where it’s not in use.

I would recommend checking for mattresses that have Energex, or ‘Temperature Responsive’ foam if you’re interested in continuing your search.

Hi sonoliento,

There’s a foam called Serene by Carpenter foam . Its a high performance poly foam that is like fast responsive memory foam that is breathable and non temperature sensitive so it stays the same feel whether hot or cold. This may be just what you’re looking for.

Good luck in your search, and please keep us updated on what you decide to do

all the best

Hi Thanks,
I looked online and didn’t find much for Canada, a few sites listed it but were out of stock. I would also be looking for a king size mattress, not a topper which is why I am thinking of the DIY route.

Hi sonoliento,

Yes, specialty foams are difficult to find, as few retailers carry them. You may have to extend your search to the USA market if you want to buy some. In my experience it’s more practical to buy a mattress that’s already made than to go out and try to build something on your own, especially when you’re dealing with specialty foams and mattress components.

Good luck in your search

all the best

Well I don’t know that I want specialty foams necessarily, and I don’t want to buy from the US and deal with customs and all that. I was curious what the feel of a latex over memory foam DIY bed might be like as so many love it. I don’t necessarily have to replicate exactly the feel of the other beds, just looking at what options are out there.

Hi sonoliento,

If you want to buy DIY latex and poly-foam mattress components in Canada we now carry a wide selection so that you can make your own mattress.

Yes, memory foam over latex is a very popular combination, as the memory foam moulds and contours, while the latex is supportive and resilient. We also carry top zip covers that allow you easily access the loose foam and latex layers and to rearrange them so to change the comfort and support of the mattress.

We ship everything from our Delta BC plant so you will not have to deal with customs, duties, and brokers fees.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!

Mario

Magniflex has a good selection of very different Memoforms(Memoryfoams). All of their materials are OEKO-TEX 100 certified. They also produce all of their own foams.

They use Memoryfoam instead of Tempurfoam, so they don’t feel like sinking in quicksand. I only found 1 store in Manitoba that sells Magniflex.

There is Zedbed also out of Canada. They make their own Pressure relief materials too.

Down in the lower 48, it is hard to find companies that sell just layers of foam or Latex directly to consumers.

Any good mattress salesperson should be able to fit you properly to a mattress instead of having to buy layers to create your own, but I guess if it’s available to them, then people will want as many options that they can choose from.

It seems like a lot of trial and error is all. I know comfort is very specific for some people.

Hi Paul,

You can read a little more about Magniflex in post # 6 here and post # 2 here and post # 3 here and a forum search on Magniflex (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

As for Zedbed, the reviews on google give them a 2.4

Yes, building your own mattress is more research and trial and error, but if you have time and patience to do it, you may end up with a superior product in the end.

All the best

Thanks Paul S. I reached out because where I live there are very few options, and Magniflex was one of the only ones I liked, also an Mlily that wasn’t bad, but I have never heard of either brand before. Both have a higher price tag than I wanted to spend, but I may have to reconsider.

Thanks MFC. Why do you feel like you could get a superior product if building your own?

Hi sonoliento,

Because you can choose what goes inside your mattress. You will be able to research what poly-foams are found inside the mattresses you like and from there buy higher density foams (better quality) , and tailor it to suit your personal preferences.

You’ll find great information on mattress durability guidelines here that will help you choose superior components for the mattress you want to build.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario