Major Mattress Manufacturers - Top 20

So looking at this list, I notice Therapedic is on the list as GOOD POSSIBILITY. Does that mean it may be a good purchase? I checked their site and could really find nothing on material specs. Iā€™m interested because there is a local store(rooms to go) that actually carries this brand, so I would be able to go feel it. If so, do you have specs for it? Thanks

Hi DRoid,

The Tempurpedic mattresses are a little easier to analyze because they use fewer types of material. They are basically all made from layers of memory foam of different densities (4.1 lb ES, 5.3 lb, and 7 lb HD). The regular 5.3 lb comes in a softer formulation and a ā€œregularā€ formulation. All of their mattresses use polyfoam support layers and most are good quality and range from 2 lb to 2.2 lb but some use lower density polyfoam in the 1.5 lb range.

You can see my thoughts about Tempurpedic in the posts that are linked in post #2 here. The short version is that for the most part they use good quality and durable materials but for most people they wouldnā€™t be in a particularly good value range compared to many other memory foam mattresses that use similar or better quality materials that would be just as durable. I personally would have a great deal of difficulty justifying a Tempurpedic purchase unless for some reason my needs and preferences were so unusual that there were no other alternatives available that would be just as suitable and ā€œcomfortableā€ in terms of PPP and used materials that were the same or better quality that would be just as durable as the Tempurpedic line ā€¦ and this would be very unlikely.

A quick forum search on Tempurpedic here will bring up many discussions about their different lineups.

Phoenix

Phoenix - You must be overworked! :wink: @droidx was asking about Therapedic not Tempurpedic.

Jeff Scheuer from ā€˜Mattress To Goā€™ (a TMU Trusted Member) sells Therapedic and has several of his ā€œBeducationā€ videos on their various models. Heā€™d be an excellent source of information on the Therapedic line. https://mattressunderground.com/retail-stores/item/mattress-to-go.html

Hope this helps!

• Bill

Hi Bill/Sweet Dreams.

Oops! :oops: Funny ā€¦ my eyesight must be getting worseā€¦ took that one offline to avoid confusionā€¦One of those times with many balls in the air.
Thanks for keeping an eye! :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Iā€™ve about given up on the major (top ~15) manufacturers. Although a bed can be as simple as a pile of straw in a barn, buying one can seem almost more complicated than buying a car. Lack of transparency is one problem; another is the shell game they seem to play with brand labelling. We had a Sealy Reflexion Laguna Beach mattress for 15 years that was quite comfortable until recently. However, I never found a clear detailed description of its construction, and after 15 years the Sealy product line (ownership, etc.) seems to be completely different. This makes it hard to replace it with something similar. What I do know is that it had a fairly thick pillow top over at least some latex in the support layers (I could see latex pinholes through the bottom covering). In shopping for a new mattress Iā€™ve been focusing on latex products from smaller companies that clearly describe what they are selling, with top-to-bottom descriptions of each layer, ILD numbers, etc. I have never seen anything close to that for S-brands in a conventional retail mattress or furniture store.

HI Cloud999.

You were quite fortunate to get 15 years of use from your Sealy Laguna mattress. As you well noted there have been many changes in the industry since you purchased it and ā€¦ unfortunately, most of them havenā€™t been for the better (see post #3 here ). I agree with you that in the current market youā€™d be better off avoiding the major brands either because they use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than many of their smaller competitors or ā€¦ because of prohibitive pricing and because of making a blind purchase without knowing what materials it uses. Major brands do not list/provide mattress layer specifications as a way to discourage quality/value comparisons. I would certainly avoid any mattress regardless of the name of the manufacturer where you arenā€™t able to find out the quality and durability of the materials inside it to ensure that there arenā€™t any lower quality materials or ā€œweak linksā€ in the mattress (see the guidelines here).

Laguna Beach is a discontinued line manufactured by Sealy and attempting to find something that is exactly the same is often a frustrating and futile exercise especially when trying to do it on your own. There is more information in [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/christeli-much-firmer-than-expected] post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can ā€œmatchā€ or ā€œapproximateā€ another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover and any quilting materials) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress ā€œas a wholeā€ so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover and quilting, layer thicknesses, layer firmness, and overall design (which would be fairly unlikely) then there really isnā€™t a reliable way to match one mattress to another one in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattresses (even assuming that you can find out all the specifications you would need for both mattresses you are comparing in the first place).

You are on the right track focusing on latex products ā€¦ youā€™ve probably seen the mattress shopping guidelines with all the basic information, and steps that can help people make the best possible choice in the mattress shopping tutorial here, Iā€™d especially made sure to go through the information provided in two of the most important links in the tutorial post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help one assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as hoped for, and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help with meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation.

Best of luck in your search for a suitable mattress.

Phoenix

As I see it, a good mattress design, like a good scientific experiment, should be repeatable. Even without any transparency into the product specs, you might luck into a comfortable, reasonably durable, and affordable mattress from a major manufacturer. But then, after 10-15 years, you want to replace it. Or even after 3-5 years, you want to outfit a guest room with the same model. But you canā€™t, because that model either isnā€™t available at all, or else it is hiding behind a different brand label. Even if you do find a product description, it may be full of pseudo-science and proprietary terms for coils, foams, and fabrics. So yes, itā€™s much easier to comparison-shop if youā€™re dealing with natural materials such as latex rubber, wool, and cotton.

After spending several days familiarizing myself with your site and numerous topics (including tutorial), I finally discovered this topic and now I know why I couldnā€™t find any info on Kingsdown mattresses. We have found one at a local retailer and would like an opinion. It is a latex model called Luxx, with the following specs: core is 6" firm Talalay with 2" hi density firm plant based foam on the underside. Support layer is 2" medium Talalay, 1.5" medium and 1.5" plush Talalay. Comfort layer is 3/4 " hi density plush plant based foam, 1/2" gel infused latex, Joma wool, with a ticking called ā€œteddy bearā€.
Iā€™m sure I heard the salesman say the Talalay had a 30% synthetic product blended into itā€¦the same product thatā€™s used to make juicy fruit gum chewierā€¦benzoā€¦ something.
This is the first latex bed weā€™ve found to look at and try in person. Iā€™m wondering how itā€™s specs and quality compare with others in the Stratosphere price range? We are in the middle of nowhere Alberta, but within driving distance of Calgary and Edmonton, the two largest metro areas. Do you have any recommendations for latex suppliers in our vicinity? Thanks for your help.

The specs on the mattress actually sound pretty good other than the fact that with a top microfibre fabric and quilting 3/4" foam that you would lose the lions share of benefit that the wool and latex would provide in terms of breathability and temperature regulation.

They are mistaken about the blend of the Talalay latex that Kingsdown uses, it is 30% natural polyisoprene (from a rubber tree) and 70% styrene butadiene (from refined petroleum sources). Blended talalay latex is a very high quality material, so not knocking the quality but just touching on what it actually is for accuracy sake.

We have stores in Calgary and Edmonton and I am happy to invite you to come and see what we have available, all natural talalay latex with cotton and wool covers, I think we will be competitively priced for the quality of the product. We also have some hybrid european pocket coilā€™s upholstered with natural talalay latex that is also very comfortable and perhaps worth comparing.

Sleep Boutique is also in Calgary may also have some good quality latex options worth consideration :slight_smile:

Hi Phoenix,
I thought you might be interested in these replies from Kingsdownā€¦which is probably why theyā€™re not on your ā€œtrusted membersā€ list!
Iā€™m a little disappointed in their responses, to say the leastā€¦ Cxxxxxx
To Customer Service @ Kingsdown Canadaā€¦ā€œRe: LUXX latex mattress.
Iā€™m looking at a Luxx mattress at a local retailer and would like more information on the specific components.
Iā€™ve been told it has a 6ā€ firm Talalay latex core with a 2" hi density firm plant based foam on the underside. Is the Talalay core pure latex or synthetic blend? What is the weight of the 2" foam.?
The support layer was identified as 2" of medium Talalay ā€¦. which is then covered with 1.5" of medium Talalay and 1.5" of plush Talalay. Is this pure latex or synthetic blend?
The comfort layers are identified as 3/4 " hi density plant based foam, 1/2" gel infused latex and Joma Wool. This is all covered with a dark blue ticking called ā€œteddy bearā€.
Can you confirm the composition of the comfort layer specifically? Iā€™m concerned about the 3/4" of HD foam between the plush Talalay and gel infused latex. What information is there on gel infused latex?
If there is a layer of Joma Wool, is it bonded to the ticking, and if so, would the breathable properties of the wool be negated by the synthetic teddy bear ticking?
This mattress is close to our desired specifications except for the components of the comfort layer containing high density foam, gel infused latex and a synthetic ticking.
I appreciate your assistance in understanding the particular components of this mattress ad would also like to know if there are other similar latex mattresses in the Kingsdown product range. I havenā€™t been able to find any information about this model online.
Thanks for your help, Cxxxxx"
ā€œHi Cxxxxx, Information on specification of a mattress you will need to reach out to the retailer you located the mattress, as we are a manufacture we are not allowed to disclose this information. In regards to a similar mattresses, as we are a manufacture and contently have improvements with our new technology and how we make our mattresses. It is difficult to say what would be a similar mattress now from the one we made a while ago. We always advice our customers to visit the closest retailer to them. The sales representatives do a fantastic job at guiding either new customers or once that are returning on which mattresses are fairly similar to previous once or that once that will suit their best comfort needs.
Thank You,
Bohdan Kaflyuk
Customer Service
Kingsdown Canadaā€

Below is my first request for information: NOT impressed, since the vast majority of retailers selling Kingsdown do not sell latex at all.
ā€œRe: Latex mattresses.
We have found two latex mattresses at a local retailer: Luxx and another similar one with same construction except 3ā€ of plush Talalay in the support layer. Does Kingsdown make any other latex mattresses and if so, where can I view the specs and/or products in person?
I live near Red Deer Alberta.
Thank you,
Cxxxxxx"
Hi Cxxxxx, I would recommend using our store locator, I will attach the link to make things simpler.
Link: https://www.kingsdown.ca/find-a-store/
Thank You,
Bohdan Kaflyuk
Customer Service

Hi Cxxxx,

Thank you for getting in touch and for sharing your experience with KIngsdown. You are correct they tend to guard the specs of their components and are not transparent. Iā€™ve been reading your discussion with TMASC ā€¦ in the case of Luxx I havenā€™t found a reference on the web about the mattress to check if the specs that were given in the store are accurate (You probably visited a Sleep County or Leonā€™s store) but if it is a latex mattress then durability would not be an issue provided that you get a good value compared with similar products that you find from other manufacturers/retailers ā€¦ I would include Kingsdown in the ā€œmajor manufacturersā€ group that I would completely avoid (along with any mattress where you arenā€™t able to find out what is inside it). They donā€™t fully disclose the materials in their mattresses and they are not very good quality/value. I would tend to avoid the Kingsdown unless there was a compelling reason to do otherwise.

I rarely have time to reply to emails as my point of focus is replying on the site and reorganizing it, but it would be great if you could login and post your experience and any other relevant details in the thread that you created and already talks about them here. This way the forum can become a more useful resource.

Hi Q8canuck.

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your interaction and experience with Kingsdown.
It seems that your search is not over and you are still doing some legwork ā€¦ I am looking forward to learning about your decisions, updates or questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Hi!
Iā€™m in the process of mattress shopping in Calgary and have found this site so helpful!

I read the specs Q8canuck posted for the Luxx and they sounded very familiar right down to the ā€˜teddy bearā€™ fabric used on the top of the mattress; sure enough they match another Kingsdown mattress called Aura I tried recently in a local store. Seems likely itā€™s the same regional chain of stores selling these. The sales staff there also told me it was 70/30 natural/synthetic blend and that the ILDā€™s for the soft, medium and firm layers of latex were 18 or 19, 28 and 40 respectively. They also said that there would be another mattress in their store soon called Amor with similar specs but the Aura would still be available for order (the Aura floor model was already sold and a king size which is not the size Iā€™m in the market for; I see other store locations for this company listing king size Aura mattresses on their clearance lists which are posted pdf files on each storeā€™s additional info part of the company webpage at a large ā€˜discountā€™ but only king size). I forgot to ask for additional information about the non-latex layers while I was there.
I was and am impressed by the mattress specs but seeing itā€™s made by Kingsdown gives me pause. They have a factory here in Calgary and when I emailed them asking for specs for another Kingsdown mattress I saw at a national chain mattress store got the response about them not disclosing that information, which I understand to an extent. By contrast, the store that sells the Aura has laminated info sheets they showed me (without asking) for each mattress I was interested in and provided the ILD info when I asked.

I have other stores to go to yet in south Calgary so I have others to compare it to as well as online options for latex as well as any other kind that will be durable and meet my needs for years to come.

I did want to ask if the height of a mattress when they are above 12 inches high matters if there is not alot of weight being put on it; do those lower layers even come into play and to what degree?

Iā€™m so grateful for this site because I can now shop with focus, a bit more confidence and better questions in order to get a quality product.

Hello,
The Kingsdown Aura you saw in YYC is almost exactly the same as the Luxxā€¦only difference being the top 2 layers in the comfort layer. On the Luxx they were 1.5" of medium and 1.5" of plush. On the Aura both layers were plush. Everything else was the same as far as composition according to the spec sheets for each model. The Luxx had a navy blue ā€œteddy bearā€ cover and the Aura had a cream coloured cover. At the Red Deer store both models were side by side, but since my first post, the Luxx has sold and only the Aura is left. The sales promo available was ā€œking for the price of twinā€. They are apparently getting another latex model called Belleza in the near future.
It sounds like the staff you spoke with are more knowledgeable in sharing specs like ILD etc. At our store they said the base layer was 100% Talalay, which was not the caseā€¦itā€™s the synthetic blend. I originally wanted some info from the forum about the purpose of the high density foam in the comfort layer, and whether that, plus the synthetic teddy bear cover, would negate the breathability of the Talalay plush layer. Responses to requests for info from Kingsdown Canada were less than satisfactory, so in the end weā€™ve decided to move on to other options. Iā€™ve posted their replies for others to see and their lack of transparency is probably why they are not a trusted member of Mattress Underground.
Good luck in your searchā€¦we will be coming to YYC to investigate 3 local manufacturers who make split layer mattresses that can be rearranged to find the ideal comfort level for each person. Many US companies offer this option but choices are limited in Canada and not all US companies will ship here. I hope we can find what weā€™re looking for without breaking the budget.

Matt at the Airdrie Mattress Mattress was the most knowledgeable; I think heā€™s part of the family that owns the business. He suggested I check out The Mattress and Sleep Company in Calgary for other latex mattress options, to ask for Dylan, his cousin. Not sure if Iā€™ll get there or not because I like the idea of being able to unzip a mattress and re-arrange layers if need be.
Which Calgary companies are you looking at? Iā€™ve been to Black Sheep Mattress and the Sleep Boutique so far and plan to go back for a second visit since theyā€™re relatively close together in that part of Calgary.
If youā€™re looking for an all latex bed Iā€™d suggest making an appointment at the Sleep Boutique to try them out since they only have one bed for that purpose and if there are multiple customers wanting to try all latex you may have to wait or go back another time (which may not be convenient if youā€™re coming from outside the city).
Black Sheep Mattress has several all latex beds in their showroom with layers that can be switched out and theyā€™re more than happy to show you their work area where mattresses are built, show you the materials being used and answer questions about it. Their prices seem significantly higher than the Sleep Boutique for all latex beds and Iā€™m not sure why that is.
Both places have hybrid of springs with latex, Black Sheep has a spring mattress with cotton and wool on the top and bottom as well.
I know there are other appointment only places in Calgary like Halstead and Natural Mattress so may check them out as well. Online I am keeping Dormio and Memory Foam Comfort in mind as potential options once I know what feels best in store.
Happy shopping!

Our mattresses can also be unzipped and layers re-arranged if need be :slight_smile:

Sorry, my mistake. Thanks for letting me know.
Can all of your mattresses be unzipped and re-arranged or only certain models/brands?

No worries; Most of ours can be opened up and changed around :slight_smile:

Hi Infoseeker,
Thanks for posting updates on your searchā€¦we have not managed to get to YYC yet for a test on latex. TMASC is also on our list because 2 lines that they carry also offer the split loose layer option. They are Sleep Tex and Berkeley Ergonomics. The others we want to visit are Halstead, and Sleep Boutique, but Black Sheep seems to be above our preferred budget. I just spoke with Dormir Bed and Foam on Barlow Tr. NEā€¦they make custom mattressesof all kinds as well, including latex. They use 24# Blended Talalay, in any size or thickness. They also said their mattress layers are laminated together, loose interchangeable layers are not an option. Three models with latex are available on display. Natural Mattress is the one with hemp in the layers, but not sure if they would make a split layer mattress. Thanks for the good info on the store in Airdrieā€¦our local one said they are getting a new Kingsdown latex mattress called Belleza, but not sure when. I probably wouldnā€™t buy a Kingsdown anyway.
The online latex company Mattress Foam Comfort makes split layers too, but they only use Dunlop, no Talalay layers.
Good luck in your search, please keep posting updatesā€¦I find them helpful since we are searching in the same market.
Q8canuck

Thanks TMASC; Iā€™ll go back and have a second look at the website for those ones.

Hi Q8canuck,
Thanks for the info on Dormir; that saves me a trip to their store. :slight_smile:
Much as I loved the feel of the Kingsdown Aura Iā€™m leery because of the brand nameā€™s reputation but also because I can get a latex mattress made local and spend less on it and maybe have greater peace of mind about warranty and other post-purchase issues.
The Sleep Boutique has more than one kind of latex to choose from; you may want to contact them (call or email) before driving down to Calgary to get a quote if you know what you want in your mattress layers so you have an idea if itā€™s in your budget range and also to book an appointment to make the most of your time there. I found the prices quoted to me on my brief trip and tryout to be very reasonable and much lower than Black Sheep although they donā€™t have identical mattresses to compare between the two stores.
I need make one or more return trips to Sleep Boutique for sure to try out variations and really nail down the best combination of latex layers for me and will post any new/useful info when I have any.
Itā€™d be great if you could also post your updates when you make it to town.

If Talalay is what you want there is also Swiss Dream Beds (dot) com which has a person in Calgary who shows this bed system in their home (the company itself is based in the Toronto area). If you go to their website and contact them they can give you the specific contact information for Calgary or can tell you if there is some other place closer to where you live, if youā€™re interested. The system is a Talalay mattress, frame, slats and wool cover all sold together; there are a few brief videos of it online as well. Hope that helps