Major Mattress Manufacturers - Top 20

Our mattresses can also be unzipped and layers re-arranged if need be :slight_smile:

Sorry, my mistake. Thanks for letting me know.
Can all of your mattresses be unzipped and re-arranged or only certain models/brands?

No worries; Most of ours can be opened up and changed around :slight_smile:

Hi Infoseeker,
Thanks for posting updates on your searchā€¦we have not managed to get to YYC yet for a test on latex. TMASC is also on our list because 2 lines that they carry also offer the split loose layer option. They are Sleep Tex and Berkeley Ergonomics. The others we want to visit are Halstead, and Sleep Boutique, but Black Sheep seems to be above our preferred budget. I just spoke with Dormir Bed and Foam on Barlow Tr. NEā€¦they make custom mattressesof all kinds as well, including latex. They use 24# Blended Talalay, in any size or thickness. They also said their mattress layers are laminated together, loose interchangeable layers are not an option. Three models with latex are available on display. Natural Mattress is the one with hemp in the layers, but not sure if they would make a split layer mattress. Thanks for the good info on the store in Airdrieā€¦our local one said they are getting a new Kingsdown latex mattress called Belleza, but not sure when. I probably wouldnā€™t buy a Kingsdown anyway.
The online latex company Mattress Foam Comfort makes split layers too, but they only use Dunlop, no Talalay layers.
Good luck in your search, please keep posting updatesā€¦I find them helpful since we are searching in the same market.
Q8canuck

Thanks TMASC; Iā€™ll go back and have a second look at the website for those ones.

Hi Q8canuck,
Thanks for the info on Dormir; that saves me a trip to their store. :slight_smile:
Much as I loved the feel of the Kingsdown Aura Iā€™m leery because of the brand nameā€™s reputation but also because I can get a latex mattress made local and spend less on it and maybe have greater peace of mind about warranty and other post-purchase issues.
The Sleep Boutique has more than one kind of latex to choose from; you may want to contact them (call or email) before driving down to Calgary to get a quote if you know what you want in your mattress layers so you have an idea if itā€™s in your budget range and also to book an appointment to make the most of your time there. I found the prices quoted to me on my brief trip and tryout to be very reasonable and much lower than Black Sheep although they donā€™t have identical mattresses to compare between the two stores.
I need make one or more return trips to Sleep Boutique for sure to try out variations and really nail down the best combination of latex layers for me and will post any new/useful info when I have any.
Itā€™d be great if you could also post your updates when you make it to town.

If Talalay is what you want there is also Swiss Dream Beds (dot) com which has a person in Calgary who shows this bed system in their home (the company itself is based in the Toronto area). If you go to their website and contact them they can give you the specific contact information for Calgary or can tell you if there is some other place closer to where you live, if youā€™re interested. The system is a Talalay mattress, frame, slats and wool cover all sold together; there are a few brief videos of it online as well. Hope that helps

First, thank you for the exhaustive and informative information you have put together for this site. I have learned a lot! Question, you speak highly of Vispring, but Kluft/Aireloom is in your AVOID category. Has the quality of Vispring mattresses been compromised by the merge of those companies under Flex group or conversely has it improved the quality of Kluft/Aireloom products? Kluft has manufacturing facilities in CA and PAā€¦are the Vispring US mattresses made in PA and/or CA? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Hi thomasknob.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are welcomeā€¦ I am glad that the site is a good resource and is helping with your research.

Flex Group completed the acquisition of Kluft in 2015 in order to have a US presence as part of what appears to be a strategy of international expansion. You can read more about the reasons behind it in Cisionā€™s 2013 article here, as well as 2015 Bedtimes Magazineā€™s article here and Daily Buletinā€™s article here. Flex group operates in South America as well as in Europe. The Vi-Spring products are all made in the UK and distributed globally. There appears to be little synergy with Kluft other than a common owner. Vi-Spring continues to make ultra-premium mattresses using high-quality materials and components but they are in a much more premium budget range than many other manufacturers who make products using natural materials.
Kluft branded products have limited distribution, mostly through Macyā€™s and Blumingdales. Aireloom is more widely distributed in the US. Both brands have luxury and ultraluxury models.

Phoenix

Hi, how is the original mattress factory in orlando ? Iā€™m looking at the orthopaedic model, ultra plush set, firm but not too firm. Here are the specs :
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Mattress Specifications
Product Line Orthopedic
Type Innerspring
Design Two-Sided
Mattress Thickness 14.5" (Tolerance Ā± .5")
Comfort 4.7
Support 10
Durability 10
Cotton Quilted Cotton Pad
Total Foam Upholstery 3.25" x 2
Innerspring Unit Type Knotted Offset Coil
Coil Count (All Sizes) T - 275 / F - 400 / Q - 486 / K - 621
Coil Gauge / # of Turns 12.75 ga. / 6 T
Edge Supports 6 ga. Border Rod & Cylinders in Every Other Perimeter Coil
Handles Yes
Warranty 12 Years Non-Prorated.

Is this a goid mattress and or a good company ?
Iā€™m concerned that they have a no return policy, your thoughts, thanjs

One crucial detail which is not provided is the specific type of foam used and its density for the two 3.25" layers, which I assume would be one on each side of this two sided design. I have no direct experience with this company but their no return policy would also be a concern and red flag for me.

Hi MIke407 .

OMF makes primarily two-sided mattresses and they are one of the better quality and value regional manufacturers. You can see a few examples of the construction of their mattresses in post #32 here. Some of their pillowtops use some very high-quality HR polyfoam which can be a very durable and long lasting material that approaches latex in some of its performance specs.

I am guessing that you are looking at their (14.5") Ultra Plush Set. They donā€™t list the materials used in the comfort layers on their site but from my past experience, they are transparent about the quality of the materials in their mattresses which is one of the most important parts of shopping for a mattress. They also use higher quality materials in their lineup than most larger brands but you would need to contact them and ask the specifics of each layer as outlined in the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Iā€™d also take into account SweetDreams note that OMF does not accept returns or exchanges so youā€™d need to make sure that what you order meets your comfort/support needs or consult their Comfort policy here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, any good retailers come to mind near Baltimore, MD to be able to try a mattress in person? Iā€™ve read through your key posts and articles as well

Hi WheNICU,

Thank you and really nice work reading the articles. In early 2018 we decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was created with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who meet the criteria to become Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground.

You can perform a Forum Search and you can type in the ā€œkey termā€ any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as Baltimore or DC or DMV or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

Whatever business youā€™re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article ) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the Post #13 quality/value guidelines here .

Once you have a chance to narrow down your options please let me or any of our Expert Members know and if you have more specific questions will be happy to assist you.

You may have already read these links but I like to point out some of the key articles as other people also read these posts. I assume you read the our mattress shopping tutorial, and also finding a great mattress outlet and 5 steps to a perfect mattress ā€¦all are great resources for you.

You can also check out some of our trusted members, CozyPure and Richmond Bedding are both in the Virginia area and are also expert members of our site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Phoenix

Hello,
I am new to the forum and wondered if you had any recommendations for manufacturers in my local/regional area. I live in Saratoga Springs, NY

Thank you!

Iā€™m new, too, and Iā€™m also wondering if you had manufactures to recommend in my rural area of Charleston, IL, 61920.
Thanks!

Hi Kerra,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

We donā€™t really have a list of manufacturers for specific regions, also just because a manufacturer is located in your region, they may not have any products that are selling at retailers in your region. Some regions have factory direct stores. You could also do a forum search on closest cities, like Indianapolis or St Louis and see if other TMU consumers have discussed these.

As you probably know, we always recommend you talk to our trusted members where you can get high-quality materials, and transparent information.

Thanks,
Sensei

Hi Cooper7,

As has been mentioned before, In early 2018 we decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was created with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground

Additionally, we donā€™t really have a list of manufacturers for specific regions, also just because a manufacturer is located in your region, they may not have any products that are selling at retailers in your region. Some regions have factory direct stores. You could also do a forum search on closest cities, i.e. Albany and see if other TMU consumers have discussed any local manufacturers

As you probably know, we always recommend you talk to our trusted members where you can get high-quality materials, and transparent information.

Thanks for the post!

Sensei

Deciding between The Saatva Firm and Luxury firm. Have chronic back pain. Wondering if the luxury foam has enough support. Fortunate enough to have been able to try both and both were comfortable.

Hey azaz123,

Are you referencing the firm and the luxury firm for the Saatva Classic Mattress? How were you able to try them? Did you sleep a full night on both, or just lay down for a little while. What is your BMI?

Here is a Saatva threadwith some posts from Phoenix and consumer posts.

Thanks
Sensei

Iā€™m 5ā€™10" 160lbs

Did try them on in a store where they had a bunch of online mattresses for display. Both were about a couple weeks old and not super broken in. The firm felt the way I a generic mattressfirm ā€œfirmā€ mattress would feel. The luxury firm was softer and had a little bit of sinking to it. Both were comfortableā€¦ I have chronic lower back issues which were exacerbated by a horrible quality foam mattress (Zinus). Tossing it and decided on the Saatva. I was under the impression a firm mattress would solve my problems.

The only discrepancy is the online reviews - a lot people consistently mentioning the luxury firm was too firm. Iā€™m like wtfā€¦ not even close per my experience. However, medium firm is ā€œsupposedā€ to be the best for back pain is what people say. Therefore, Iā€™m worried that I might have issues if I were to pick a firm mattress (Iā€™m used to sleeping on firm mattresses and this seemed firmer than usual) based on reviews/the general ā€œfirm isnā€™t the solution for back painā€ thought process. On the other hand, the luxury firm was pretty comfortable and not firm to me by any means - worried if I were to pick this I might sink in and make my back pain worse particularly given my horrible experience with an all foam cheap Zinus mattress.

ANY help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey azaz123,

Thanks for the informationā€¦because each person is different in terms of their physiology, weight distribution, and body shape as well as the positions they sleep in, their individual preferences, and the specifics of any back issues they may experience, there is no such thing as a mattress that is ā€œbetter for backsā€ in general because a mattress that is good for one personā€™s back (or back issues) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on ā€¦ even if their body type, sleeping positions, or back issues appear to be fairly similar. There is only a mattress that keeps you in good alignment which would be best for YOUR back.

In general ā€¦ what you would be looking for is a mattress with firm enough deep support and then comfort layers that are ā€œjust enoughā€ in terms of thickness and softness to ā€œfill inā€ and support the more recessed parts of your sleeping profile and relieve pressure in your most pressure prone sleeping position (usually side sleeping for those who sleep in this position) so that there is less risk to alignment in your other sleeping positions. This is another reason why reading ā€œreviewsā€ sometimes has the opposite effect of helping one choose whatā€™s best.

There is also more about primary or ā€œdeepā€ support and secondary or ā€œsurfaceā€ support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the ā€œrolesā€ of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between ā€œsupportā€ and ā€œpressure reliefā€ and ā€œfeelā€ although this may be more than you really need to know to choose a mattress that is a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

If you have the time, and want to readā€¦two of the more important links in the mattress tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to buy a suitable mattress that is the best ā€œmatchā€ in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

Hope this helps!

Sensei