Manufacturers - local brands

Information About Local Manufacturers

The smaller manufacturers who are more local and exist throughout the US and Canada, produce most of the “off brands” that we mention so frequently. For many people, they are the biggest surprise and “discovery” that they will make in their mattress search. If you are fortunate enough to have one of these near enough for you to visit, they may represent the best value of all. They are often manufacturers who have been in business for several generations and have unusually high levels of knowledge about materials and construction methods and incorporate these materials and knowledge into every mattress that they make.

Local manufacturers can offer rewarding mattress purchases.

Because they normally purchase their “raw materials” directly and then either sell them “factory direct” or directly through smaller specialty outlets or sleep shops, they can not only use much higher quality materials but sell them at a much lower price. It is not unusual to find mattresses in this group that sell for 1/2 to 2/3 of anything comparable from larger manufacturers. These manufacturers are a joy to speak with and will quite willingly share what they know with you and encourage their employees to do the same. They can also reduce the risk of buying a mattress “sight unseen” to some degree if you choose to purchase from one of these that is far away as they are often very experienced at knowing the type of mattress that may be suitable for you based on the results of your field testing and “duplicating” the one that fit you best using higher quality and more durable materials. Most of them will quite happily custom build a mattress for you that will cost you a comparable amount to the same mattress purchased “ready made”. They can usually also make adjustments to their more standard models to fine tune them to your particular needs and circumstances.

Knowledge, value, and service found at local manufacturers.

These local manufacturers are available in most areas of the country. While they may sometimes need some traveling to get to them or the outlets that carry them, your time will be well spent as they will save you more in the time and effort it often takes to go from store to store to store only to find that you are not much closer to finding exactly what you need. These “undiscovered treasures” are among the most rewarding of mattress purchases if you can find the outlets where they are available.

It is also important to note though that while in general terms these manufacturers and the “off brands” they produce will often represent the best values in North America, there are also a few who aspire to be more like some of the larger regional and national manufacturers and are more opportunistic in nature and more focused on “getting bigger” and increasing profits using similar methods to their larger counterparts than they are in “getting better” and growing as a side effect of their knowledge, value, and service. These few, while far more rare, may be the next generation of “money machines” in the making.

In general though, these smaller local manufacturers are well worth the effort and any extra research and traveling time it takes to find them and test their mattresses. You may discover for yourself why “off brands” can have amazing value.

It would be great if you guys had a means of finding who has local stores nearby somewhere on this website. You say the local manufacturers have the best value but don’t tell us how to find them.

Try doing a search for your town or towns near you, nbrikha. My town’s not huge, not small, but found a post where Phoenix lists several.

Hi nbrikha,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Yes, downlover is correct (thanks downlover!), simply use the search feature on the forum and type in your town name (or the closest major town) and then search through the results to see if I have a listing for that area. That would be the easiest thing to do.

This site focuses on assisting people with learning how to make an educated mattress decision, but maintaining a listing of all the local manufactures across the country would be beyond my scope or that of anyone else (even ISPA and BSC, two of the largest groups in the industry, don’t maintain such a listing). I do maintain a listing of the locations of the site members, and that can be found here.

If you’d like, please provide your zip code I’ll check to see if there are any better options of which I am aware close to where you live.

Phoenix

Hi, I’m trying to get an idea of how a local manufacturer in my area (Santa Barbara, CA - 93105) would be rated. The store name is Spencer’s Santa Barbara Mattress; the mattresses appear to be high in quality but they are costly. Another area store, Mattress Mike, receives high consumer ratings and their prices are lower so I am feeling some confusion.

Hi thelucs,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I noticed that you registered with your email as your user name, so you may wish to change this to avoid spam bots collecting your data.

“Rating” manufacturers isn’t something that is the done on this site. Instead, we assist you with “how” to select a mattress, providing you with the tools you can then use to evaluate any retailer or manufacturer. The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

And while price is certainly important of course … the “value” of a mattress purchase is what is most important and price is just one of many factors that can affect the “value” of a mattress purchase. There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The value of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area. There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists.

At Spencer’s I’d focus more on the Natura line and avoid the Aireloom, Sealy and Stearns & Foster. I have spoken with Mike before at Mattress Mike and he provide the information about any of the mattresses he carries for consumers, and his line will extend from promotional to latex.

Phoenix

We need a better mattress in our RV and are educating ourselves on this site (Thank you)! We have a local manufacturer in our home town (Spokane, WA), Northwest Bedding. We think we want a latex mattress and they do carry that. Do you have any knowledge of or info about this manufacturer?

Hi CLB2.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You can see some of my thoughts about Northwest Bedding in post #10 here and a forum search on Northwest Bedding will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. They do make RV custom mattresses but I did not get in touch with them for quite a few years now to find out more about their other offerings.

They would generally be a better quality/value choice than most mainstream mattresses or major brands, and they are also open about the specifics of the mattresses. Outside of testing a mattress for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial here (which is the most important part of a mattress purchase) I would make sure that you know the specifics of any mattress you are seriously considering (see this article ) so that you can make meaningful comparisons with other similar mattresses and keep in mind that a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the manufacturer.

If you end up visiting them I’d be interested to find out about your experience with them.

Phoenix

Hello, I am new to this site, and I just started my search for a new mattress. I would like to work with a manufacturer. The closest one to me is Santa Barbara Mattress. If anyone has worked with this company before, I would appreciate any information you could give me. I live in Santa Maria, California. Thank you.

Hey Lindee,

Welcome to our Mattress Forum :slight_smile: ! We hope you find the wide variety of information and resources here useful during your mattress shopping journey.

At TMU, we first recommend our Trusted Member manufacturers/ retailers whenever possible to consumers, they have the knowledge and experience to help you make informed buying decisions and are among the best choices in the industry. Both Flexius Comfort Mattress Company (Corvina, CA) and Foam Sweet Foam (Riverside, CA) are near Santa Maria and both would be happy to help you in any way, you may reach out to them with questions here. Also, all TMU members offer a discount to consumer members who have made at least one post to the forum, so that is a consideration for contacting them as well. Hope this helps and let us know how your search goes…

Thanks,
Sensei

do we have any local business in Raleigh NC?? looking for full size mattress please.

Hey Claudiarosa79,

Welcome to the TMU Forum and thanks for your question :slight_smile: !

Found an earlier post where consumer subscriber digiorknow and Phoenix discuss mattress shopping in the Raleigh NC area, Raleigh, NC - Jaded Shopper from Mattress Firm post #1, this consumer subscriber offers good insights on several latex hybrid mattresses from these area resources:

-Sleep Essentials
-The Organic Bedroom
-Original Mattress Factory

Besides interest in a full size mattress, can you tell us a bit more about other preferences you have? I’m going to rename your topic so that our consumer subscribers may follow your mattress shopping research and offer their insights too, new topic name is “Shopping Mattress Manufacturers-local brands-Raleigh, NC”. BTW, would you consider an online mattress purchase, know our TMU Trusted Member manufacturers/ retailers would love a chance to answer your questions as well.

You may want to check out TMU’s mattress shopping tutorial here but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Hope this helps and keep us posted on your research.

Cheers,
Sensei