Mattress Advice / Recommendations - Latex/Memory Foam

Hi everyone! And thanks for looking/helping.

Budget: Preferably ~1100 and below, though I can go as high as 1500 if needed.
Me: 180 lbs
Partner: 120 lbs
Type of Mattress preferred: Latex and/or memory foam, plush/soft
Size: Queen (King would be awesome, but looks like most are out of my price range… :frowning: )

We’ve been out testing mattresses, and from what I feel I can get a lot better value online than in stores. We’ve tested the “Sealy Posturepedic Port Cartier Luxury Plush” and liked that. Bob-o-pedic plush was OK (but not great), and Bob “attitude gel” eurotop was also pretty good.

I’ve done some research online, but am somewhat lost in the wide world of online mattress shopping.

From what I have reasearched our short list includes:
(amazon wish list) - http://amzn.com/w/YOWRCZV8D1W7

DreamFoam Mattress Ultimate Dreams Ultra Plush Soft Latex Mattress

• I’ve head that their sister mattresses are better? (Brooklyn bedding?)

Ultimate Dreams Eurotop Latex Mattress

• Again, is it better to go with Brooklyn Bedding for these?

16" LUCID by LinenSpa Natural Latex and Memory Foam Mattress Plush Four-Layer with Bamboo Charcoal Bed 25-Year Warranty, Queen

• I’ve heard they use low quality foam for the base for these? [Research indicates 3lb foam?]

Brooklyn Bedding - 12 inch Bamboo Bliss (or 14 inch Aloe Alexis?)

• heard good things on here about them

Spindle Mattress - Abscond - 10" Latex Mattress

• Not too familiar with them, but seems good?

Which out of these is the best choice? Are there others that I could be considering? Any on the list that I definitely should not be considering?

Thanks for the help!

Hi Oatz3,

Have you read the tutorial post here? It has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices and know how to avoid the worst ones.

I would make sure you know the specifics of all the layers in any mattress you are considering and then eliminate any that either don’t meet the minimum guidelines or the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you. The tutorial post also has a link to the better online options I’m aware of and there may also be some local options available to you that are worth considering. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any I’m aware of that are close to you.

There is no way for someone else to know which specific mattress is the “best” for you because this depends on which one is the best match for you in terms of PPP along with the criteria of your personal value equation that are most important to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The only one in your list that would be “suspect” is the 16" Lucid (you can read some comments about it here) and I would avoid any memory foam mattress that used memory foam under 4 lbs.

Dreamfoam, Brooklyn Bedding (who are sister companies) and Spindle Mattress are all members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. They would all be well worth talking to about which of their mattresses may be the most suitable choice for you and once you have eliminated all the worst options and are choosing between “good and good” then you can make a final choice based on which mattress purchase is the best match for your personal value equation.

Phoenix

I live in zip 08854. If you know of anyone local, that would be great!

I was under the impression that Dreamfoam uses slightly worse materials than Brooklyn Bedding. Is this correct? From what I understand one uses a base of slightly less density (and this is apparently bad for durability?).

Hi Oatz3,

Post #7 here has the better options and possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you.

Dreamfoam and Brooklyn Bedding are sister companies and the Dreamfoam is mostly in the lower to mid budget range while the Brooklyn Bedding site has their mid to higher budget line although there is some overlap between them (such as the Total Latex mattress which is carried on both sites) and lower budget mattresses would use less costly materials overall than higher budget mattresses.

In most cases, the quality/durability of the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant factor in the overall durability and useful life of the mattress (see post #4 here and the posts it links to for more about the factors that can affect durability). With heavier weights that compress the deeper layers more then the deeper layers of a mattress can play a more important role in durability.

Most of the hybrid mattresses on the Dreamfoam site (such as latex/polyfoam hybrids or memory foam mattresses with polyfoam support cores) use 1.5 lb polyfoam as the base layer while most of the Brooklyn Bedding hybrid mattresses use 2.17 lb polyfoam as the base layer (with some exceptions in both cases) which is a higher quality more durable material although the comfort layers are often similar types and density materials (each one for example has hybrid mattresses that use Talalay latex as the comfort layer). For average weight ranges it would not make a great deal of difference but for higher weight ranges then using thicker layers of more durable materials such as latex in the comfort layers or using a higher density base foam can make a bigger difference in the durability and useful life of the mattress. Both of them are great quality/value for their budget range.

Phoenix

Went ahead and ordered the Bamboo Bliss from Brooklyn Bedding.

I’ll let everyone know how it turns out!

Thanks.

Hi Oatz3,

I think you made a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix