I’m hoping I can leverage the wisdom of the crowds here for a little expert advice. My wife and I are in the market for a new king mattress. After extensive research rabbit holing down many misleading and biased mattress review websites I feel like I am no closer to a purchase than when I started this journey. So many of the review sites and online mattress sellers seem to all be in cahoots with each other or owned by the same puppet masters. I cannot tell fact from fiction. I’m hoping some knowledgable, unbiased members on this site can set me straight. This is worse than buying a house/car.
Here are some details about us:
- I’m 5’9" 170 pounds. Side sleeper who tosses and turns a lot. Relatively broad shouldered & barrel chested.
- Wife is 5’3 125 pounds. Classic hourglass shape. Combo sleeper but mostly back.
- I have slept on several beds with memory foam toppers, and am fond of that feeling.
- We think we prefer a Medium (~5) mattress firmness level, but I honestly don’t know.
Our biggest preferences in a mattress are:
- Motion isolation (we can’t currently sleep together because every time I move it wakes up my wife).
- Cooling temperate (we sleep very hot)
- Organic/Natural materials - don’t want to sleep on any nasty chemicals that haven’t been tested for longterm, sustained human exposure.
- Durability (I want a bed that will last at least 10 years or more)
- Value (not cheap, but good bang for the buck).
- Generous return policy (In case we get it wrong and need a different bed).
Based on my research it seems like we want either a:
- Full Latex foam mattress. Latex for organic status and durability. I don’t trust the chemicals in memory foam or the durability.
- Hybrid Latex mattress. Reason being that the springs will help with the airflow and cooling. Also lighter weight so easier to rotate.
Does that seem right? Either way, I have sooooo many questions remaining:
- Have read several times that Latex foam isn’t great for motion isolation. Is that true?
- If cooling in important, will any foam mattress simply be too hot?
- Should the foam be Dunlap or Talalay? What thickness? How many layers? What ILD?
- If we go for a hybrid, what should I look for in terms of coil count, design, and materials?
- Should the springs sit on a base layer of foam?
- Should we get a flippable mattress to extend the life? Or does that even matter?
Below I have a list of all the beds I came across in my maddening research. I’m having a hard time understanding which ones are bogus SEO strategies with huge markups, and which ones are no BS quality and good value. Please help!
Winkbeds EcoCloud EcoCloud Hybrid Mattress | Featuring 100% Natural Talalay Latex – WinkBeds
Brooklyn EcoSleep EcoSleep Mattress - EcoSleep
Brentwood Oceano Luxury Hybrid Oceano Luxury Hybrid Mattress | Brentwood Home?
Brentwood Cedar natural Lue Affordable, Sustainable, Foam & Hybrid Mattresses | Brentwood Home®
Brentwood Crystal Coe Charcoal Infused Flippable Mattress | Brentwood Home®
Avocado Green Best Organic Mattress | 100% Certified Organic | Avocado Green Mattress®
Avocado Latex Organic Latex Mattresses - Avocado Natural Latex Mattresses – Avocado Green Mattress
Saatva Zenhaven Latex Mattress - Zenhaven Natural Latex Mattress | Saatva
Saatva Latex Hybrid Latex Hybrid Mattress - Saatva Latex Hybrid - Mattresses | Saatva
Awawa Awara Mattress?
Brooklyn Bloom Brooklyn Bloom Hybrid - Brooklyn Bedding
Idle Latex Hybrid https://www.idlesleep.com/product-tag/the-idle-latex/?active_product=the-14-idle-talalay-latex-hybrid
Plush latex https://www.plushbeds.com/products/the-botanical-bliss-organic-latex-mattress
Plush hybrid https://www.plushbeds.com/products/12-luxury-bliss-natural-latex-mattress-with-encased-coils?variant=31705061752930
Flobeds Latex Mattress | Buy Natural Latex Mattress at FloBeds
Sleep on Latex Pure Green Organic Latex Mattress | SleepOnLatex.com
Arizona Premium Mattress King Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil - Latex Mattress, Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex
Flex comfort QUADRA-Flex® Pocket Coil Latex Mattress - Flexus Comfort
Nest Bedding The Owl Natural Latex Hybrid Mattress
Luma Sleep Latex Hybrid Mattress Slumber System | Luma Sleep
Sleep EZ Select Sleep Hybrid Latex Mattress | Sleep EZ - Phoenix, AZ