Mattress around $1000 in Mississauga, Ontario

I am looking to buy a mattress for my parents. My budget is around $1000, +/- $200. My parents are in their 60’s. They switch sleeping positions throughout the night (back, sideways, etc.).

We almost bought a sealy mattress, but then I decided to do some research and found this wonderful website. I soaked in all the information I could.

I looked up local mattress dealers and found Ideal Mattress Ltd suggested here. I took my parents down there to try out some of the latex mattresses. We liked a few but they were all above our budget at around $2k.

The two that my parents tried and liked which also fit our budget are the following:

[li] - IDEAL “Ergo-Pedic” http://idealmattress.com/8/[/li]
[li] - IDEAL “Euphoria” http://idealmattress.com/9/[/li]

They liked these both equally. So I thought I’d post here and defer to the knowledgeable people here.

[li]- Which one is better quality material?[/li]
[li]- Are there are other dealers or mattresses I should try?[/li]

Thanks a lot!

Hi johnoliver,

[quote]The two that my parents tried and liked which also fit our budget are the following:

They liked these both equally. So I thought I’d post here and defer to the knowledgeable people here.

• Which one is better quality material?[/quote]

The Ergo-Pedic uses 5 lb memory foam and 2.2 lb polyfoam in the base which are both high quality materials and there are no weak links in this mattress (see the guidelines here).

The Ideal website doesn’t list the type and quality of the materials in the Euphoria so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it. If you can find out the information listed in this article from them and list the materials and layers on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about whether there are any obvious weak links and the quality of the materials inside it.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Toronto and GTA area (subject to following the steps and guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial) are listed in post #1 here.

A forum search on Mississauga (you can just click the link) will also bring up some comments and feedback from the area as well.

Phoenix

Thanks a lot Phoenix! Highly appreciated. I’ll try and get the information about the other mattress, but I’ll probably buy the Ergo-Pedic. Should I try and bargain on price? Try to get the delivery included in the base price etc.?

Hi johnoliver,

It certainly never hurts to try or ask “is this your best price?” or “is there anything else you can include in the purchase?” but many of the better retailers or manufacturers already list their lowest prices and they know that they already compare well with the “after sales and negotiated prices” of other similar mainstream mattresses so that the price a customer pays doesn’t depend on “bargaining skills” and the “value” of their mattresses don’t depend on perceptions based on the percentage of a discount off a “fake retail price” that nobody ever pays anyway.

The most effective “bargaining” tool is to make “apples to apples” comparisons with other mattresses that uses the same type and quality of materials and components in the same or a very similar design and layer thicknesses and to ask them if they can come any closer to another mattress that is very similar that is also available for you to purchase. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress in post #13 here and there is more about “negotiating” prices in post #6 here that may be helpful.

Phoenix