Mattress buying is confusing

Hello, I’ve been on here for a while and thought I’d make an account and ask a question.

Several years go I bought a mattress from Sears. From night 1 my back hurt and got worse. They exchanged it for a different mattress and this one, right from the start, was incredible. I wish I’d made notes about what it was. I do know it had springs in it but that’s all I can remember.

So my reason for mentioning that is that I know I can find a comfortable mattress that doesn’t hurt.

I bought a Polysleep. Once again, from night #1 I woke up in terrible pain. It got worse and nothing seemed to help it. From the second night I had the typical leg pain with sciatica. That was returned and all went well with the refund.

I bought a Novosleep hoping for a better personal experience. I found it to be the same. They did send me a topper which certainly changed the feel. I understand how it can take a while to break in and for it to feel better. But although the mattress felt different, the back pain continued. I finally moved to the couch after a week.

I’m currently just waiting for the mattress to time out so I can return it. Novosleep has been very good to deal with and their customer support is great. I can return it in one week and they told me what they need - photos to show it’s in shape that’s ok to donate, and I’m just waiting.

In the meantime I’ve been looking for a next mattress and researching here. The more I learn the more confusing it gets.

I think that I made need a hybrid with springs, at least I think it might be better for me. I did visit Sleep Country (in Canada) and tried out a Casper, Purple.3, Simba, and a few others. The Simba started hurting my back after just a few minutes. The Purple.3 felt wonderful but it’s around $4,000 and Sleep Country has a no-return policy. I don’t want to spend $4,000 and be stuck. Purple won’t ship to Canada as Sleep Country has the exclusive rights to sell it here.

I’m looking at the Hamuq but there doesn’t seem to be many reviews and the company itself hasn’t put out any videos for well over a year. I don’t mind going through the purchase process again but I feel like it’s almost just hit & miss.

Any thoughts? I realize that it’s a considerably personal experience and there is no “best fit” but I’m wondering if there’s anything that I should check into before my next purchase.

Thanks so much!

Try a latex bed. Im not sure what you have access to in Canada. I heard Sleep Essentials will ship to Canada.

John

Hi SleepSearch and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Several years go I bought a mattress from Sears. From night 1 my back hurt and got worse. They exchanged it for a different mattress and this one, right from the start, was incredible. I wish I’d made notes about what it was. I do know it had springs in it but that’s all I can remember.
So my reason for mentioning that is that I know I can find a comfortable mattress that doesn’t hurt.
I bought a Polysleep. Once again, from night #1 I woke up in terrible pain. It got worse and nothing seemed to help it. From the second night I had the typical leg pain with sciatica. That was returned and all went well with the refund.
I bought a Novosleep hoping for a better personal experience. I found it to be the same. They did send me a topper which certainly changed the feel. I understand how it can take a while to break in and for it to feel better. But although the mattress felt different, the back pain continued. I finally moved to the couch after a week

Sorry to hear you’ve been having some problems finding a comfortable mattress. As you say, a new bed is indeed a ‘considerably personal experience’…any mattress you chose is unique to the sleepers using it, based on their Stats (height, BMI,
sleeping position(s), and any underlying health conditions) and their PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief and Personal preferences).

If you have not already, I would suggest taking a look at the Mattress Shopping Tutorial, as well as the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know, and the Mattress Durability Guidelines, to get a better idea of what to look for in a mattress manufacturer and the various types of mattresses and their pros and cons, and how to best approach the selection process.

I think that I made need a hybrid with springs, at least I think it might be better for me. I did visit Sleep Country (in Canada) and tried out a Casper, Purple.3, Simba, and a few others. The Simba started hurting my back after just a few minutes. The Purple.3 felt wonderful but it’s around $4,000 and Sleep Country has a no-return policy. I don’t want to spend $4,000 and be stuck. Purple won’t ship to Canada as Sleep Country has the exclusive rights to sell it here.
I’m looking at the Hamuq but there doesn’t seem to be many reviews and the company itself hasn’t put out any videos for well over a year

Of the mattresses you mentioned trying, they are mostly memory foam mattresses, some polyfoam and gel foam layers, and only the Polysleep has any details on the density and thickness of their layers. Products like the Humuq have proprietary foam of unknown density and thickness, which is unfortunately somewhat common with the big retailers and bed-in-a-box companies, which makes it almost impossible to ascertain its’ durability and the potential for the foam to prematurely break down, causing divots or wear spots which can cause aches and pains, especially with your sciatica. would make sure any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grades foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs./cuft for normal range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs./cuft density, just to ensure you have support.
Also, it’s a good rule of thumb to not put too much stock in reviews, as these are individual views of consumers with their own specific Stats and PPP…as well as potential marketing-disguised-as- reviews.

Without any of your stats it’s impossible to say much about what may potentially feel comfortable to you. The ideal way to approach this would be to take advantage of sleep country and any other local showrooms to test various types of mattress in different firmness levels. You might prefer a hybrid, or latex hybrid…memory foam, gel foam, all latex; with nanocoils, pocket coils, or innersprings… this way you can cross certain materials, components, and firmnesses off your list. Narrowing the list down can help you to focus on a few mattress types to make things a bit simpler. Once you know what you’re looking for, you have more freedom , for example to look at online retailers who can ship to you and have good return policies so you don’t have to worry about being ‘stuck’ with an uncomfortable mattress. Most good retailers have a 90-100 day trial period as it takes time to break in the mattress as well as let your body acclimate to it.

Also, there are a number of the Trusted Members of the site who are located in Canada, both showrooms and online, like CBH Wood Furniture in Pleasant Villa NB, Dormio Organic Beds in Toronto, MFC in Delta BC, Restmore Bedding in Winnipeg ,and Sunshine Mattress Co. in Ontario, if any of these are close to you…and other Trusted Members do ship to Canada like Arizona Premium Mattress, Custom Sleep Technology, GhostBed, and Nest Bedding; These vetted manufacturers provide quality products, are transparent in their materials and components, and have generous return and warranty policies. By providing any of these with your Stats and PPP and mattress history they can help you find a mattress that matches your desired comfort level as well as support needs. With a little more consideration and research, you will be well informed enough to confidently embark on the search for a new mattress while avoiding the pitfalls and looking for real value and comfort!

~ Basilio

Hello, Basillio.

My apology for not responding sooner. Thank you for your wonderfully detailed and informative response. You have provided a wealth of information to guide me on my journey. I’m looking over those links you provided, especially on the tutorials and guidelines.

I’m 240 pounds and a side sleeper, my wife is of unknown weight (she won’t tell me) but much thinner than me and also a side sleeper. I do prefer a softer feel to a mattress.

I’m near Toronto so I will look into Dormio and Sunshine. It would be worth a trip to visit these.

I did see the Apollo hybrid and found a couple of things interesting. I’m not sure how a few copper specs can actually do anything for cooling. It doesn’t seem that there’s nearly enough to conduct heat, and where would it conduct it to, given that these tiny specs are embedded in foam? And it has a layer of 1" coils. Would that actually do anything?

Once again, thank you for your wonderful reply. I’m working through the information to give me a better knowledge. I really appreciate your help.

Hi SleepSearch,
Glad you found the information useful! As for the copper infused memory foam, copper is an anti-microbial, and copper infused foam has a high wicking and moisture absorbing ability, which contributes to the cooling property of a mattress. The coils are there as an additional support layer; this might benefit you as a higher BMI side sleeper…however the Apollo does have several layers of HD foam and gel foam of undisclosed density, so I would see if they can provide any additional specifications before deciding on that mattress.

~ Basilio

I found these specs on another posting here:

Apollo
2" Copper-Infused Gel Memory Foam - 3.6lbs / 42 IFD
2" 5G Open-Cell Memory Foam - 2.5lbs / 24 IFD
3" Edge Support 1.8lbs / 42 IFD
1" Nano Coils - 17 Gauge
1" High density Polyfoam 1.8lbs / 36 IFD
6" High density Polyfoam 1.8lbs / 42 IFD

I ordered the Apollo mattress today. Should arrive next week. Wish me luck!

Hi SleepSearch,

Hope it works great for you! Please let us know your experiences once you’ve had some time with it. Here’s to many comfortable nights of sleep!

~ Basilio