Mattress comfort layers - latex

Hi sparky.

Thanks for your latest update ā€¦. I am glad to hear that your sleep is improving :slight_smile:

You are correct that a mattress pad or even a tighter protector ā€¦. especially a wool one that will compress a bit more with use can have the effect you are seeking. Most of the wool pads and protectors have stretchy corners or sides so they wonā€™t bunch up while sleeping, but you can look for a tight pad/protector that wraps around all sides of your mattress to add a bit of extra stiffness. Thicker wool layers that are initially soft (and quite frankly nicer) will tend to compress and affect the feel of the layers underneath them over time more than thin ones .ā€¦ Post #10 here has more information about mattress pads, protectors and the difference between them. Halfway through post #89 here thereā€™s more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors for those who want (or donā€™t) to affect the feel and performance of their mattress. You may wish to check out some of our members here who have wool pads/protectors and can also have a look at different types of mattress protectors here and here.

I hope this is helpful and Iā€™m looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

When one refers to blended talalay latex, what does that actually mean?

David

Hello David,

Thank you for visiting The Mattress Underground. The term ā€œBlendedā€ when is comes to latex foam (this applies to bot the Talalay and Dunlop process for making latex foam) has to do with the make up of the latex formula used to make the latex foam. Blended means that the latex used in the latex foam is a blend of natural and synthetic latex.
There are 2 types of the raw latex material component, natural latex which is harvested from the rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis) and synthetic latex which is man-made, synthesized from petroleum. The core component of latex is a material compound called isoprene. Natural latex uses the naturally occurring organic compound produced in the rubber tree. Synthetic latex uses a man-made version of the isoprene compound. Blended latex is a mixture of the two types of latex. Blended latex is the most widely used formula type as it is seen to provide the benefits of each type of latex, specifically being more durable and more consistent while providing high levels of comfort and support.

TMU Admin

So Iā€™ve decided on a latex mattress. However, Iā€™m basically down to the Sleep on Latex, Spindle or Sleep EZ. The sleep on latex is the cheapest, and I canā€™t really tell what Iā€™m giving up. The others are around $500 more. Is there something Iā€™m missing? I see they are all listed as trusted members so it seems like Iā€™m choosing between good/good/good, just want to make sure Iā€™m not missing out on anything by spending more.

Hello again Phoenix,
Iā€™ve taken some time to review all the suggested links from your previous reply, and weā€™ve also logged another month of sleep on our ā€œnewā€ latex mattress from Sleep Ez.
Our split king is 3 layers of 3" latex as follows:
Bottom layer both sides: firm Dunlop
Middle layer my side: medium Talalay, hubby has medium Dunlop
Top layer both sides: soft Talalay
The mattress sits on a plywood base in our bed frame, has a 1" wool cover and an additional quilted mattress pad I added for extra top cushioning.
After 60 days sleep on my configuration, I feel that I could be sinking too far into my middle layer of Medium Tallalay and wonder if changing to a medium Dunlop layer would make any difference. Would this be where the difference in ILDs between medium Dunlop and Talalay becomes significant?
My primary concern is whether the middle medium talalay layer on my side is sufficient support for a ā€œgenerousā€ side sleeper, and would there be significant difference in changing it to a medium Dunlop layer?
I prefer a ā€œsink inā€ feel for comfort, so have not really considered changing my top layer of soft Tallalay, but do have the option of changing to a Dunlop Soft if that would be more helpful than changing the middle layer.
We have 30 days remaining in our exchange window.
Recently we decided to swivel the mattress around so I could test hubbyā€™s side with the medium Dunlop middle layer and although itā€™s been only a week, my perception is a firmer feel of support. Is this my imagination, or is there enough difference between the specs for medium Dunlop and medium Talalay to be noticeable? I know the composition is different, but do the numbers indicate a significant variance? Do different retailers have different specs for their Dunlop and talalay or is this a standard industry specification?
Once again, I appreciate the time it takes for you to digest and respond to all the individual queries you receive.Your specific replies are very helpful in making (and fine tuning) the numerous decisions in the search for perfect rest.

Hi Q8canuck.

Glad to hear that you ā€œlogged another month of sleep on your newā€ mattress with no major setbacks. It seems that your hubby still enjoys his well-crafted side :slight_smile: but you still have some doubts as to your layering appropriateness.

Talalay will weigh less than Dunlop per cubic foot of material because it has more air in it and the same ILD Dunlop is denser than Talalay. This is the basis for the angel food cake vs the pound cake analogy on our site. It will certainly feel a bit more supportive to most people ā€¦ with some more sensitive individuals reporting that this made just the right amount of difference to achieve the ideal softens/firmness for them, but of course, this is not an exact science because this is dependent on so many personal and other interrelated variables. The best way to ensure that this would work out for you is (ā€¦as you did) to ā€œborrowā€ the medium Dunlop from your hubbyā€™s side and test it for long enough to ensure that the signals that your body sends you are consistent before you decide on the new layer exchange. You do not seem to experience pains at this time but I always tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to support as a primary concern so it is nice to see that you are reassessing the support issue especially as you also added a padā€¦but Iā€™d also keep in mind that sometimes our bodies take a little longer to ā€œacceptā€ a change and get used to it, but once again only you can be the judge of this.

There is no real industry standard as it comes to ILDs for the different types of latex, from different sources, which may also use different ways of testing it. When it comes to ILDs your own experience is much more meaningful than the ILD numbers (which by themselves can act just as pointers because other specs such as the thickness of the layer, compression modulus, point elasticity and more are just as important to how soft or firm a mattress feels than ILD specs alone). There is more about this in post #2 here and there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here All in all it is partly science and partly an art to ā€œimagineā€ and predict how the layers of a mattress will interact together and with your individual body shape, weight distribution, and sleeping position. The good news is that you are already close enough to your ideal configuration and Iā€™d make sure to seek a last word of advice from SleepEZ themselves as they would have all the information that would help make any meaningful comparisons between types of latex from different sources. (They have 4 different sources for their latex ā€¦ and all would feel slightly different in the same ILD)

While my thoughts are of course generalizations and cannot replace your personal experience, I hope that they are helpful in deciding on this last eventual layering change. I am looking forward to any further updates you may have.

Phoenix

Above you wrote the following:

ā€œThis also makes thicker, and in some cases more pressure relieving, comfort layers possible when needed or preferable without the same degree of risk that a thicker ā€œpillowtopā€ or ā€œeurotopā€ comfort layer will put your spine out of alignment.ā€ .

Just wondering if that means having a 3" soft comfort layer in the mattress proper vesus having the same 3" layer in a topper would be better for spinal alignment (all other layers being the same). If so, why is this?

Hi Demill1866,

Thanks or the question. Regarding the topper in the mattress proper, or used as a topper. The answer is not better or worse, only that it will feel different, and align you differently.

A topper within a mattress, connected to the other layers, and finished in a cover will be firmer than if one had a topper separate ā€œon topā€ of the mattress. The ā€œtopperā€ is loose, more flexible, and will feel and support differently than in the proper mattress. So depending on the personā€™s weight, height, etc, could be better or worse.

Thanks
Sensei

I am getting ready to diy a latex mattress. I am considering using 3-3" ā€œLatex Mattress Topper by Nature Pureā€ layers from foamorder.com . I purchased some 9" thick upholstery foam from them 3 years ago. They were very helpful and the sofa feels almost like the day I reassembled the cushions.

Has anyone bought latex from them?

I am a 5ā€™7" 142 lbs. side sleeper. I have a lot of shoulder pain when sleeping so I need a very plush mattress.

Their GOLS dunlop soft is rated at 11-18 ILDs. Is it even possible to make dunlop that soft???

My planned build would be med (24-28), soft, soft. I am assuming their latex is a bit firmer than advertised. Or perhaps firm, med, soft inside the encasement, and a soft 3" topper.

Any help or advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

I hate to hijack the topic but I have questions about the comfort layer as well. I have the Ultimate Hybrid in Soft (19 ILD). I sleep on my stomach and side and it gives me hip pain when I am on my side. I think the wool blend in the mattress cover makes it firmer and I also feel the coils make it firmer. I was given he advice on here and by Ken to get an additional 2 inch topper. I know Arizona Mattresses only has 19 ILD but I was wondering if I should get a 14 ILD or if that will be too soft. I just donā€™t know if another 19 ILD will be the same ā€œfeelā€ as I have now or will help because there are more layers until the coils by adding another 2 inches, as well as the cover I got (I already purchased the cover as I bought a memory foam topper to try since they can be returned. My husband and I both hated sinking into the memory foam and not being able to move so I returned it) is a bamboo/cotton blend and not wool like the mattress cover. I have been obsessing about this topper for months now but I obsessed with the mattress and ended up slightly disappointed since it is a bit too firm. I just hate to end up with the wrong topper that I canā€™t return.

Hi Jill71rdh,

I responded on the other thread, but now you have returned the memory foam.

First of all, I understand your reluctance to not do ā€œanother 3ā€ 19ild" and being a little concerned with 14ILD being too soft.

Adding another 3" 19ild will definitely change the feel of this mattressā€¦100%. I canā€™t guarantee it will be the right fit for you, but it will change it. As itā€™s talked about here in differential construction, you can use one ild product and just need to find the right height needs for your body.

You could use any of these - 3" 24ild , or 2 or 3" 28ild, ā€¦ and use as a transition layer underneath the 19ild. This may then give you enough of the progressive feel that will help with hip pain. Please also read about progressive construction to build up layers properly.

Thanks
Sensei

Hi lotus14,

Sounds exciting, the start of the DIY latex mattress.

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased from Foamorder will see your post and share their comments but in the meantime a forum search on foamorder (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. Even though they arenā€™t a member of the site (at least yet) ā€¦ I think highly of Foamorder as well and I would certainly consider them to be a reliable supplier.

Well yes they can be that low, but the real question/problem is exactly what specific testing does the latex producer do to reach the ILD rating. The definition of ild on foamorderā€™s site is a little too simplistic, and imo wrong. ILD, short for indentation force deflection, is an ASTM standard measuring the amount of force it takes to compress the material by 25% and the other is the amount of force it takes to compress the same material by 40% (which of course would produce higher numbers). Secondly is the producer using 6" height foam, and another uses 3" height foam, the ILDā€™s are different for the SAME foam. There are a lot of other articles about this all over the TMU site.

Also make sure you check out the foamorder return policy before purchasing. Really it is hard to give anyone one hard and fst advice on the right 3" layers for you, only you can do that. My personal rule is the bottom 3" at firm is better for durability, then you need to go from there to see what best for you. Also if you are so inclined you can check out our trusted members as many of them have years of experience with DIY latex mattresses.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Sensei

Yes, I suspect foamorderā€™s soft dunlop @ 11-18 ILD is similar to most supplierā€™s soft dunlop @ 18-22. Iā€™ll have to take that into account with the base layers as well. Hopefully Iā€™m correct in this assumption!

Foamorderā€™s return policy isnā€™t bad. At least they offer reduced shipping back. My real concern is that the latex will have a strong smell. GOLS dunlop shouldnā€™t, but I wonā€™t know until I already have about 200 lbs of it!

The things I like about foamorder is their amazing warranty - 15 years for a topper @ 1/2 inch indentation! Also, I couldnā€™t be happier with the sofa foam I bought from them 3 years ago.

My current thought for a very plush build is firm, med, soft, soft. Not sure if Iā€™ll go with a heavier 9" encasement (DIY beddingā€™s quilted) and make the last layer a topper, or if Iā€™ll go 12" and DIY beddingā€™s knit organic cotton and put everything inside.

Thanks for the help!

What about a 2 inch topper? With a bamboo/cotton cover? Would another 19 ILD give it a little more softness without changing the feel completely? Would a 2 inch 14 ILD be too soft? I am torn between the 2 in a 2 inch topper over my plush ultimate hybrid.

I currently have a 2" 20 ILD dunlop topper (SleepOnLatex) over a plush latex mattress. And yes, it does give a little more softness but nothing too radical. Great topper for the price.

With my limited experience a 2" 14 ILD topper might simply bottom out and do very little. So if I were going with 14 ILD Iā€™d definitely want 3".

Who are you considering ordering from? Dreamfoamā€™s topper link will take you to their ā€œsister siteā€ mattresstopper.com (AKA Brooklyn Bedding). They only offer a 3" Talalay (soft, 19 ILD) but the good news is free shipping and free shipping on returns with no restocking fee.

For me, Iā€™d rather stay away from talalay (having a bad experience with the smell) and stay with foamorderā€™s GOLS dunlop. Also, foamorderā€™s warranty is 15 years and mattresstopper.com is only 3.

Decisions, decisions!

I was going back and forth between Mattresses.net, Mayers bedding and Ultimate Sleep. Only the last 2 carry the 14 ILD. Is smell the only reason you prefer Dunlop?

Yes, just the smell. Probably just the latex I happened to get.

I suppose you know that all 3 of those make you pay return shipping. Latex is bulky and heavy.

And yes, another 2" of 19 ILD would definitely soften the mattress, but you wonā€™t know what will work best for you until you try it. Iā€™d try Sleep On Latex (or anyone with free returns) either 2" or 3" (3 will be softer). If it doesnā€™t work out your can send it back for free and try something else.

Most of the time you can just let latex air out on itā€™s own and it should ok. Iā€™ve read itā€™s a bad idea to put it in the sun or a fan on it or something so mine is now outside the encasement and airing on a guest bed. Weā€™ll see!

Hey lotus14,

Thanks for the update, and I understand your concern about the smell. Whether or not a latex is GOLS certified is not related to latex rubber smell. The primary factor to a latex producer ā€œcontrollingā€ smell or ā€œlimitingā€ a smell is done in the washing and secondarily the drying process. In theory, everything has ā€œsome smellā€, and we all have our own sensitivities.

As you already know both natural and blended Talalay has a similar ā€œsugar cookieā€ or ā€œvanillaā€ type of smell, pass the same tests for VOCā€™s and offgassing, and both seem to be well tolerated by those who are very chemically sensitive.

I commend you for your knowledge, you are very well versed in many of these latex formulas, products, and companies. Good luck with your DIY mattress, I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks
Sensei

Hi Sensei,

I think itā€™s also possible that my talalay simply sat compressed in a box much longer than the dunlop and just needs airing out. Weā€™ll see.

Any thoughts on 100% natural vs blended latexā€™s durability as a general rule? Iā€™m sure the actual manufacturing process of each has a big effect as well.

I have read many times that synthetic doesnā€™t last as long, but Nest says theyā€™ve gone to a 50/50 blend because itā€™s MORE durable. Of course itā€™s less expensive to make too, soā€¦

Hey lotus14,

This is a good set of questions, and the ā€œinternetā€ has some myths on this. Overall for talalay the blendedā€™s durability data is better than the 100% natural, and for Dunlop the data is tilted the other way toward NR being more durableā€¦but this is really splitting hairs, as both of these ā€œformulasā€ have exceptional durability compared to polyurethane foam.

As you will see in some of the TMU links at the end, in the lower ildā€™s, especially in Talalay, the 100% natural may be a bit more durable (14-22 ranges). The process itself does not really affect the rule 100%Nat -vs- Blendedā€¦for the same manufacturer. What can be different is one manufacturerā€™s durability versus another manufacturerā€™s durability, both using the same ā€œprocessā€ and the same ā€œformulaā€. Many times itā€™s about the overall curing process of washing/drying/heat (curing) that can be critical.

This is a really good post by Phoenix about latex durability and longevity.

Why one changes to blends versus 100% natural are usually busniess reasons and itā€™s always cost, quality, efficiency, etc. Then of course people in sales like to tell consumers what sounds bestā€¦but you know its a combination of these basic factors.

Good point about the rolled talalayā€¦totally get it.

Thanks
Sensei