Mattress comfort layers - Memory foam

Hi m00se.

Thank you for your words of appreciation for the site. Youā€™re certainly doing a great deal of research & learning and seem to apply it very well in your testing :slight_smile: From what youā€™ve described throughout your post it seems that you get good feedback and are well-tuned with your body.

All layers work together and the thickness and softness are interdependent and it may be that the feeling of ā€œsquishinessā€ that you are experiencing may be connected with the firmness/softness of the layer underneath rather than being ā€œsquishyā€ by itself, but you are correct that the difference between a 2" and a 3" comfort layer can be quite dramatic and it also depends on a personā€™s weight, shape, and sleeping positions. The thinner a layer is ā€¦ the more youā€™ll feel the properties of the layers below it. As you are a side sleeper you will notice this more (the surface area in contact with the mattress is smaller and youā€™d be more likely to go ā€œthroughā€ a thinner comfort layer) and feel more of the properties of the layers below it.

The Serenity mattress is designed with the ability to fine tune it to a wide range of needs and preferences and just to make sure that you did not leave any stone unturned and got all clues youā€™d needā€¦ have you also tried Dunlop on top of a Talalay layer? ā€¦ As you already discovered Talalay on top would feel lighter and ā€œlivelierā€ than Dunlop (which may equate with the feel of "squishiness " and ā€œbouncinessā€ that youā€™re trying to get away from) ā€¦ but you might like the feel of a thinner layer of Dunlop on top of Talalay. The cover too can be a significant part of the performance of the mattress so youā€™d need to take that into account as well.

[quote]Iā€™ve zeroed on in Sleep-EZ because of the flexibility with exchanging layers, the split sides (am sharing with a partner who is a similar size and similar preferences, but mostly back sleeper), and the 2" comfort layer. The two possibilities Iā€™m working with now are:
ā€“S/M/F in their 9" mattress. This seems like the most common set-up, and seems like it would likely be appealing given my experience with the Obesan and Savvy Rest. Advantage is that this can be re-arranged, e.g. to try a M/S/F, which could provide a firmer feel but also some support.
ā€“M/F or S/F (possibly split, in order to try out) in their 7" mattress, plus a 2", 5.3lb memory foam layer from Foamorder. Iā€™m still interested in this for a couple of reasons.
My sense from trying out the Obesan and Savvy Rest is that a comfort layer with a firmer ā€œfeel,ā€ then a ā€œcontouringā€ layer below for pressure relief, would be the best option. And my experience on good memory foam (eg Tempurpedic) has given the best sense of ā€œpressure relief,ā€ so combining that with the top-layer feel that I like would seem to be the best of both worlds. This would also be $200 cheaper than the 9" Sleepez, while still leaving open the possibility of returning the memory foam, and then adding in another layer from Sleepez if it doesnā€™t work out.

My question is, from reading the various posts and Overviews about mattress construction (both progressive and ā€œdominantā€ construction), it sounds like Iā€™d want the top latex layer to be 2" rather than 3," especially given that both my partner and I have low BMI (~5ā€™8" and 130), to allow the properties of the memory foam layer to come through. (Especially with a ā€œmediumā€-firmness layer on top, 3" would seem to be too thick). Does this thinking sound right? And does anyone know if its possible to order a 3+2(+1 cover) mattress from Sleepez? On their website, they only seem to have either 3+3+2 or 3+2.[/quote]

You are correct that at your BMI there would not be any reason to go with a thicker mattress and you can do very well with both the 9" or the 7" + 2" (or with the customized 6" + 2") but again if you change the thickness this will also have an impact on the overall comfort/support of the mattress. If I understand you correctly it seems that you are more inclined towards a ā€œdominant layeringā€ which can work well for some people. Generally, a medium over soft would ā€œstopā€ the hips a little faster but would result in a little firmer support under the recessed waist and would result in a firmer/ā€œcrisperā€ sleeping surface ā€¦ that you seem to like. Generally, it is unusual to use a soft layer of Memory Foam under a firmer layer of latex as in some cases it can have a negative effect on whether the deeper layers are firm enough to keep your spine in good alignment over the course of the night but any arrangement that is a good ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP would be OK. Sometimes there are multiple pathways to similar goals but the key is always to look carefully at the effects of each change to see the ā€œpatternsā€ they produce and as much as possible to keep it as simple as possible ā€¦ and always work towards identifying ā€œpatternsā€. The strength of multiple layering is the degree of fine-tuning that can be done. in some cases, though it can also be surprising what effects certain changes can produce because of ā€œunknownsā€ that are more difficult to identify. As far as pressure relief memory foam is generally considered to have the ability to distribute and relieve pressure. This does not mean however that it is dramatically better than the best of other materials as there are other types of foam like latex or high-quality polyfoam that in their softer versions through compression alone are very close to memory foam in their ability to distribute pressure to levels below personal detection for most people.

You seem to have a very good grasp of the feel you wish to achieve and at this stage, I think a good conversation with Shawn at SleepEZ would be the best way to move forward. As a manufacturer, SleepEZ would be able to make all the adjustments that youā€™ve mentioned. When I spoke with Rodger a few days ago he mentioned that theyā€™ll always go above and beyond to accommodate customers coming from TMU as working with an informed and educated customer that is able to accurately describe their needs and testing history helps them zero in on their suggestions.

You are certainly considering a good quality/value mattress from SleepEZ and as you already know they are one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with ā€œthe bestā€ in the industry. They are very knowledgeable and very skilled in guiding their customers to make the best possible choices out of the many options they have available.

I hope that the information provided helps you out. Iā€™ll look forward to learning about your progress and the results of your discussion with SleepEZ and of course any other questions you might have along the way.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix for the guidance.

Iā€™ve put in a call to SleepEZ and spoke to Jim there. I asked to speak to Shawn but was told that heā€™s the owner and wasnā€™t the right person to talk to. Jim basically said that they could do the configuration I was interested inā€”3+2+2 (F-S-M)ā€”but didnā€™t have any real suggestions or response as to how this would work based on my experience and preferences.

Is there a way to get in touch with Shawn directly? Maybe at this point its not necessary, since it seems like that configuration would be pretty adaptable (could switch to F-M-S), but I wonder if he would be able to better explain how the setup Iā€™m thinking of would fit with my preferences.

Hi m00se.

I spoke with Shawn and he was out for the day but heā€™d be more than happy to through everything once more with you to make sure that this is the most suitable configuration that would give you most options.

Even though he is still out today, he is available to you. For this, he asked that you call the office at (800) 710-9846 and ask to speak with Jody who is waiting for your call and she will direct you to Shawn. You are in good hands!

Good luck with your purchase :slight_smile:
Phoenix

Great information about memory foam mattress! You can shop online of these mattresses with discount prices.

This is my first post, so I hope Iā€™m doing this correctly! I searched for ā€œscoliosisā€ posts to tag onto, but couldnā€™t quite find the right one and my question is kind of about memory foam comfort layersā€¦ I was so excited to find this community as Iā€™ve been struggling to find a foam mattress for the last 6 months that could replace my Simmons Comforpedic Advanced Rest/Luxury Firm memory foam mattress, 5 years broken in, that was perfect. It felt like a bunch of individual foam cushions. I miss sleeping well and now dread bedtime. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!

About me if helpful: Princess and the pea sleeper. I have rods in my back to correct scoliosis, so I need a mattress that conforms to me, since I donā€™t really bend. Iā€™m 144lbs, BMI is 22 but Iā€™m bony - post-pregnancy, my tail bone sticks out way more than it used to and is jamming into the mattress when on my back. I have trouble with my lower lumbar spine overarching when on my back (toward the ceiling) and causing back pain.

Like many here, Iā€™m dreaming about:

• really good support
  • pressure relief
  • an all foam mattress (I like sleeping ā€œinā€ the bed with memory foam, even the hybrids are too pushy and latex feels too bouncy)
  • works for back sleeping (75% of night) and side sleeping (25% of night)

What Iā€™ve tried so far:
First, I tried to find a Comforpedic on Overstock, but it was a more plush version. My butt sunk in too far right through the comfort layer then hit a too firm next layer. I had nerve compression/ tingly feet.

Then, I tried the Tempurpedic ProAdapt Medium. I broke it in for 2.5 months but it was WAY too firm and caused bursitis, pain in my hips, tail and butt bones. It felt like I wasnā€™t exerting enough pressure on the mattress and just sleeping ā€œonā€ it.

Currently, Iā€™m on day 4 with Amerisleep AS4 and I canā€™t sleep on my back at all because my lower lumbar spine is overarching. There is no gap - the bed fills in the space - but is pushing me way too far towards the ceiling. It feels ā€œsofterā€ than the ProAdapt, but I donā€™t think my butt is sinking in very far. Is there a way to tell if the overarching is from too much sinkage vs not enough? Iā€™m guessing not enough bc I feel like Iā€™m sleeping ā€œonā€ the mattress, not ā€œinā€.

I know it takes a while to break in and might end up much softer, so Iā€™m going to walk on it, weigh it down with books, do what I can to last another week of sleeping on it at least, but itā€™s pretty brutal as my hips are sore from exclusive side-sleeping.

Any thoughts on:
-toughing it out on the Amerisleep AS4?
-suggested mattresses similar to the Comforpedic Advanced Rest/Luxury Firm, but less firm/5 years broken in?

I think I need to find an all foam mattress that is very conforming, supportive, and with a soft enough firmness to cushion the bony butt and hips but not too plush to sink through the comfort layer and overarch my back.

In our local stores, Iā€™ve laid on all the foam mattresses - the Beautyrest Black line, iComfort line, and Sleep by number. The closest to comfortable were the Beautyrest Black Nadia (too firm) and Scarlett Plush (too plush).

Online research has me looking at:
-Layla soft side (but maybe similar to AS4?)
-Novosbed soft (but see in Forum concerns about poor quality)
-AS5 (only if itā€™s substantially softer than AS4 and have to wait 30 days to switch I think)
-Luxi soft setting (but sounds difficult to return, bad customer service)
Nothing seems quite right and how to compare to the ones Iā€™ve already tried!

Iā€™d love any guidance! I wish it was possible to hire a mattress shopping consultant, because this is so complex.

Hi Mia12345,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Your post was great, well done. You are the princess and pea sleeperā€¦I love that book and the images are so appropriate. But very well explained why you are like that with the spinal curvature, and the additional issues brought on; bursitis and nerve compression. Itā€™s really hard, and so confusing.

Regarding the Amerisleep, the dont list the exact specifications, in another post they were listed for the A2 and A3 as follows:

[i]The Amerisleep AS3 contains(?):
3" memory foam 4 lb
2" polyfoam 1.65 lb
7" base polyfoam 1.8 lb

The Amerisleep AS2 contains(?):
2" memory foam 4 lb
3" polyfoam 1.65 lb
7" base polyfoam 1.8 lb[/i]

Although you have the AS4, If these are accurate, they are good quality densities and there are no weak links in this mattress. I personally donā€™t like to ever recommend people sending back mattresses. Itā€™s still a lot of const to the companies, your time, gas, freight, etc and many end up in landfills. But really I think you will have a hard time finding your best match. I think you should explore some toppers to put on top of the latex. My first thought is a Talalay 19 ild, 2 or 3" topper. Maybe a 24 ild if this is too soft. This type of topper will give you a little ā€œliftā€ almost like you are floating, and the pressure relieving benefits of latex are excellent. With your clear medical issues, you are the one that has to really dial in your best comfort. Toppers are not always returnable, but they are awesome on other beds in the house, if you find they donā€™t work for you. Talk to some of the latex focused members of TMU.

Our trusted members are listed here.

Here is also a post about adding a topper.

And another post about latex and memory foam toppers differences.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks Sensei for the response and sympathy. Just to make sure I understand your suggestions - it may be too tricky for me to find the correct mattress AND/OR given that I already have a good quality mattress that Iā€™m breaking in, you are suggesting a topper? I hadnā€™t really considered a topper as a long term option, but it could be a way to tweak the top layer to get the soft yet supportive feel that I need (soft enough to not feel like my hips, butt, and tailbone are bruising but not too soft to sink through and overarch my lower back). My understanding was that toppers need to be replaced more frequently. I can read more on TMU about toppers next.

I also really like the feel of sleeping ā€œinā€ the mattress as opposed to ā€œonā€ the mattress. Iā€™ve only tried latex mattresses in the store, but didnā€™t find the latex had that contour deep hug feeling that Iā€™ve experienced with memory foam and liked in the past.

One other thought, is there any objective way to find the attributes of my previously loved bed (Comforpedic Advanced Rest/Luxury Firm) and use those to narrow down what to select online? I understand that it comes down to how it feels and ultimately must be tried by me, but there are SO many online mattresses - even when I narrow down to medium-soft all foam options. For example, similar densities, thickness of the comfort layer or transition layer or even number of layers before the base layer.

I guess I had been relying too much on mattress reviews, assuming that the relative ranking of attributes was meaningful, but am learning that itā€™s really hard to interpret from online reviews.

Thanks again. Itā€™s easy to feel all alone out there struggling to find a mattress!

Hi Mia12345,

Your welcome and your instinct regarding reviews is spot on, especially given your specific sleep sensitivities. I did some research on the comforpedic, but I am going to check a few more sources, and see what I can come up with regarding specsā€¦this was my first thought last week when reading your post.

Regarding trying latex in the stores, I could comment on some specifics, but the problem with latex is over the years there have been many many mediocre latex mattresses made by traditional mattress manufacturers. But to be clear a good memory foam topper is a viable option, so I donā€™t want to steer you away from that.

The nice thing about toppers and specifically latex, as when you remove it from the total mattress build and your body is completely interacting with the feel of latex. A 19 ild plush topper inside a mattress will feel firmer, and not as enveloping of the body, compared to the same 19ild as a free-standing topper.

You are not alone, even these interactions online we know are being read by thousands of others. Thanks for your responses.

Sensei

Hello and thank you for the wealth of information. I have been researching for about a month. I am in Canada. I am a mostly side sleeper and weigh somewhere between 210 and 230. I have had an Isoform Opulence by Bergad for about 13 years and loved it. I happen to like feeling like I am sleeping a bit ā€œinā€ a bed instead of on one which is why I love me more foam. I recently got the Recore bed for a trial and 2 weeks in am miserable. I think latex feels like sleeping on a trampoline and the bed is killing my lower back.
I have narrowed down to two options I think.

1. The Cumulus bed by MFC which has the edge system and 5lb layers but I really wish had a bit more thickness. I also need a cal king as I have a motorized base that is a cal king. I called Mario and he sent me info but the cal king is $1749 which is really stretching my budget but honestly ends up being only about $100 more than the Novosbed, but there is no trial. Plus pillows yay, but still, no returns.
  2. The Novosbed Medium and then eventually get the soft comfort + added. Things I like are the HD foam at 5lb and the 11" thickness and the full 7" support foam. After the comfort + it becomes a 13" bed. They have no edge system built in though. I also feel like MFC is likely a bit higher quality foams.
    I really am hoping to avoid another return situation as I just want to sleep without pain. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bleu

Looking for a good place to put this. Hello. This seemed like a good place to piggy back off of. After much research and trying beds I ordered the tripedic platinum from selectabed. The specs are as follows 2" 4lb 10 ILD memory foarm
2" 5lb 16 ild memory foam
6" 40 ILD 2.6 density HR Polyfoam.
The few weeks were amazing and I was very happy. It was nice and firm, I like to sit in top rather than sink in. Also I didnā€™t find my hips/pelvis to be sinking in too much which was a big issue when I tried mattress in various stores. My hips/pelvis would sink in causing me lower back pain. (Note I am a back/side sleeper) Or i would sit too much on top (more with traditional intersping mattress and there was nothing supporting my lumbar. Then I started to have Lower back pain which it turned out was due to a lack of support in the foundation. Then about 4-5 weeks in I began experiencing more lower back pain, lower than I have traditionally experienced thatā€™s also seems to be related to my hips. Itā€™s worst when I am laying in the bed. It feels as though now that the bed is broken in, my hips are sinking in a decent amount but the rest of my body remains more ā€œon topā€ of the mattress. When I lay on my back it feels like my bottom sinks in and my shoulders and legs stay at the same level. I am also havin a similar issue when laying on my side. Iā€™ve still got about 70 days left in the trial period and will be writing to selectabed to see what they suggest. Their customer service has been wonderful! Iā€™d like to have an idea of what the isssues could be. Other potentially helpful information before I get to my questions. I am a female about 5 ft 5 inches and weigh about 130 pounds. I have scoliosis which does cause me intermittent lower back pain. Also means that my torso is much shorter and compact than most which makes my weight distribution atypical.

Is this something that could be fixed with a topper? Maybe a zoned topper since the hip sinking issue is a long standing problem across different mattresses that Iā€™ve tried. Do zoned memory foam toppers exist? I know that too much sinking can be caused by upper layers that are too soft and thick or a core that is too soft Does this seem to be the case based on the components mentioned? Or is it due to my other back issues I need a more customized approach to suit me (a zoned mattress) and this isnā€™t the one for me?

I hate to be on the hunt again for a mattress. I bought this one hoping it would be comparable to the Tempur-Pedic Adapt medium which I loved in the store but the price was no so lovable. But Iā€™d give anything to get some painfree sleep.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From your experience it sounds like the Tripedic Platinum is too soft to provide you with sufficient back support once the foams have broken in. Itā€™s very difficult for the addition of a topper to account for a lack of underlying support, they are more commonly helpful with softening up the surface of a mattress which is too firm and may be causing pressure point pain. I think you either need a firmer memory foam layer in place of the 2" 16 ILD, or possibly a latex layer instead of the MF. MF is known to conform to your body as it warms up from your body temp, and then allows you to sink into the mattress which it sounds like youā€™re trying to minimize. Thatā€™s why I think a comfort layer of latex might be better suited to your needs, but of course youā€™d have to try it as thereā€™s no way to accurately predict what youā€™ll feel or how youā€™d like that.

Since you mentioned that youā€™re impressed with the companyā€™s customer service, Iā€™d suggest discussing the situation with them as youā€™ve explained it above and see what they may come up with as a possible alternative. Good luck and let us know what they suggest.

Hi again,

Thanks again for the kinds words! Since last post, Iā€™ve been researching and racking my brain.

Sensai - I wanted to circle back again to see if youā€™ve had any luck unearthing specs on the Comforpedic Advanced Rest/Luxury Firm? Iā€™m thinking looking for parallels might be the easiest way to find a good fit since I was happy with my last bed. Itā€™s hard to believe how difficult itā€™s been to find a similar experience. It feels like a common problem Iā€™m finding is when on my back, having my hips/butt sinking in to the top layer too much (over arching my lower back/lumbar spine) and then hitting a second/another layer that is too firm (hurting my butt bones). I need a better balance of a soft but supportive comfort layer or couple top layers.

You posted the Amerisleep specs as something like:
3" memory foam 4 lb
2" polyfoam 1.65 lb
So maybe I need that second layer to be MF or latex or something different that has more contoured support.

I wish there was a bed that just held and conformed to your back in its neutral/normal position! Itā€™s too bad that memory foam, which conforms so well, may also allow heavier parts (butt) to sink in so much more.

I also consulted with Amerisleep and they hypothesized that the overarching could be my butt sinking too far while my shoulders are not sinking in enough. They suggested breaking in the shoulder area of the mattress. However, if my butt is already sinking in too much before itā€™s been broken in and weā€™re in freezing winter weather, itā€™s hard to imagine that more breaking in would solve this problem. To survive, Iā€™ve just been using a 3 inch memory foam topper from Bed Bath Beyond that we had, plus 3 fleece blankets folded under my legs (knees to ankle area) to get a couple hours of sleep on my back before going to the guest bed to toss and turn on my sidesā€¦So, I think I need to try another new foam mattress, but am at a loss of how to decide. Hence, hoping to learn from my previously loved Comforpedic specs.

I will also look around to see if I can find latex to try out in store again, as youā€™ve suggested I revisit that material.

Also - Lesleyann725- I see you! I am right there with you. Ugh scoliosis and atypical weight distribution! Good luck!

Thanks,
Melissa

Hey Mia12345,

I apologize but I have not tracked down those specs, I actually put in a call to a well connected Simmons guy to ask him that question. Have not heard back as last week was THE an industry trade show in Las Vegas, and everyone is thereā€¦hence slow to get back to each other.

I do think your hypothesis is correct regarding the comfort layer hitting the firm support layer. This is a critical point in mattress construction. As you have probably read already, this comfort layer article and its associated links explain some of what you are hypothesizing.

If there are no good latex mattresses around you, try some of the latex focused trusted members, they certainly are experienced in building these layers the proper way.

thanks
Sensei

Hi Sensai,

Thanks again for the sage advice. Just thought Iā€™d circle back again as this sleeping situation is difficult and not sustainable.

A mattress trade show sounds fun and maybe more restful than most?! In the meantime, I did try to contact Simmons for the specs. They sent me to the foam manufacturer, Future Foam, who sent me back to Simmons again. Simmons said they canā€™t find specs without a model number, but I no longer have the physical mattress with tags. Iā€™ll try Future Foam again, but if you do get specs, please let me know!

I also visited a lovely local store to try latex mattresses, but felt the latex lacked the contouring or filling-in properties of memory foam - they werenā€™t filling the gap in my lower back. They were also bouncier than I prefer. But, if there is a particularly soft, plush and conforming latex I should ask about, I could go back with that specific question in mind.

I also laid on a Novosbed soft and found it anything but soft - so incredibly hard after the initial comfort layer - albeit a new mattress and not yet broken inā€¦

Iā€™m wondering/concerned that being very broken in was key to comfort with my previous mattress and how to approximate that. It can be too uncomfortable to sleep on the mattress to break it in! Iā€™m currently having my partner try to break in the AS4 for me as I still canā€™t lie on my back on it comfortably (let alone sleep on it). My conclusion is that the AS4 is more of a too firm than a too soft problem as my body doesnā€™t seem to be sinking in appropriately/evenly.

Iā€™m vaguely hopeful that breaking in the AS4 will help, but the pressure pushing up my lower back is so intense that it feels more likely that Iā€™ll need to buy another mattress asap. Something thatā€™s very soft but still somehow supportive and with enough comfort layers and progressive resistance that I donā€™t sink through and hit a hard layer. So far, Iā€™ve eliminated all the mattresses Iā€™ve researched from online manufacturers (some of those reasons listed in my previous post), so Iā€™m feeling stumped about next steps. My only thought is a more custom company that letā€™s you create a bed of individual foam layers, but they donā€™t seem to be returnable and without trying them in person, feels like shooting in the dark. Iā€™ll try to learn about that more on TMU, but there just arenā€™t enough hours in the day for all this research after work/family geesh.

Thanks again for any advice!!!

Regarding the process of breaking in a new mattress, some manufacturers instruct you to either walk on them going over the entire surface in small steps or to get on your hands and knees and similarly crawl over the mattress surface. Typically they suggest covering the mattress entirely two or three times to help break in some of the harder foams that may be used in the construction. I would only consider doing this after contacting the seller and/or manufacturer to be sure it wonā€™t invalidate your warranty and is recommended for your specific mattress design. I tried one of Nest Beddingā€™s mattresses which was much too hard and painful for me to sleep on, and they recommended this process and said they do it in all their showrooms. It was very successful in immediately making the mattress more compliant and comfortable so that I could properly evaluate its suitability for me.

I need help with memory foam/polyfoam bed. I have a Tempurpedic Supreme Topper 3" on top of a brand new firm poly regular foam bed ā€œbaseā€ and the issue is that I wake up with pressure pain I think in shoulders and in hips. So I think I dislike how firm the poly mattress is below my Tempurpedic or pretty convinced also that my waterproof cover is restricting the memory foam and the foam is not working ideally, maybe, and am awaiting my new really thin topper arriving Saturday hoping that will resolve everything). I love the tempurpedic material and I sleep great but every little while I have to wake up and turn over. Iā€™m a side sleeper 98% of the time and sometimes wake up on my back. I have a fully adjustable amazing pillow and Iā€™ve learned that I donā€™t need much fluff at all in it cause after the topper molds to me I want to maintain alignment so my pillow is calibrated. Here are my ideas: Add a high quality and med-soft 1 in layer of poly in between the mattress and topper, or add a pressure relief soft cheap 1" topper on top of the tempurpedic one (but afraid thatā€™ll interfere with my Tempurpedic topper), or add the same pressure relief 1" topper but in middle not on top. Again, near perfect everything but a little tweak is needed. I feel like what is happening is that by late night Iā€™ve got warmer and I sink mostly through the tempurpedic topper and the med-xtrafirm base mattress is causing the pain cause itā€™s a little too firm. I must fix this because Iā€™m invested in now 2 brand new mattresses over the past 2 years and 1 brand new box spring and didnā€™t like the first mattress so created my own matress despite your recommendation a while ago not to build a bedā€¦ Well Iā€™m a rebel clearly, and hopefully you can offer some guidance here to make this bed perfect. What do you recommend? I have no more room for mattresses. This mattress Iā€™ve built has been equally the same since I got it about a year ago maybe. Not broken down any nor has the tempurtopper. Thanks so much for your advice!

Hi bradbaker1989,

I much enjoy the ā€œrebelliousā€ and creative side in action striving to get the DIY ā€œPerfectā€, I always have to remind myself that ā€œmy perfectā€ is not anyone else ā€œperfectā€ ā€¦ going past philosophy ā€¦ In your case, you are not saying what the thickness of the base layer is but if I understand correctly your DIY has a single poly foam base and a really high quality 3" topper. For some people, a 6" + 3" can work perfectly fine but you seem to need to add a transition or comfort layer to mitigate some discomfort that you are experiencing throughout the night. Thereā€™s more simple explanations at the layers here and here.

This really is about your personal preference, but the addition of 1" of low-density cheap foam would be a weak link, get buried ā€¦even the ā€œbetter qualityā€ 1" may be borderline but as you need just a bit of tweaking may just work. Most mattresses are progressive in construction with softer / thinner layers on top. IMO 2" of a softer ILD on top and something like a 19 ILD Talalay latex or a memory foam high-quality topper would have better chances of success but I understand that you like the feeling of your topper. If you choose something to go below the Tempur Supreme, then to make it work youā€™d need a good density midrange ILD. You can read more about memory foam and latex foam comfort layers.

Of course, your budget may be part of your consideration, but how much tweak for pressure relief is needed, only you can decide. I would check out some of the trusted members, you will be able to find the right quality and value for your needs.

Also, in these shopping guidelines, there are a few good points about the pressure relieving in the comfort layers. All in all, you are heading in the right direction with improving your simple but good DIY construction mattress.

Let us know if you have an update or if you have any other questions. Thank you again for posting.

Phoenix

Hi Mia12345,

Thank you for the note. That is very funny tradeshow more ā€œrestfulā€ than normalā€¦not in hotel mattressesā€¦but that is a totally different subject.

The good news - I found it!!! The Comforpedic Advance Rest

The bad news - trying to match this is not easy

Attached is a pdf from 2013. And specs list are as follows:

9Ā½" Profile Height
ā€¢ 1" AirCoolĀ® Memory Foam with TruTemp Gel
ā€¢ 2" Advanced AirCoolĀ® Memory Foam
ā€¢ 1" Luxury Firm Comfort Foam
ā€¢ 2" Independent SupportTM Technology
ā€¢ AirCoolĀ® TransflexionĀ® Core
ā€¢ AirCoolĀ® Edge Support
ā€¢ AirCoolĀ® Mesh Border Fabric

What Comforpedic did really well back in 2013 was the use multiple layers above the base core to have enough transition layers, and comfort layersā€¦as you have read in our articles about putting the layers together here and here. They say they had 6" of transition/comfort layers, (but really it was 5 inches as they use convoluted foam). This is somewhat confusing as it would mean their ā€œcoreā€ was only 3.5 (or 4.5) inhces of base foam, which they called the ā€œAir Cool Transflexion Foamā€ wich is just mattress lingo crap. Also, they give NO INFO on ILD/IFD or Density of foam, nothing to match or compare, and certainly no info that other brands can use. Which is typical of the Top 20, which Simmon/Serta is number 1.

What to do now? You will have a hard time finding this a local tradtional retailers. I know you did some research with online companies, but I would work on checking into our trusted members

As you mentioned some of the ā€œcustomā€ companies may be better for you, and you will need to possibly buy a topper to go on the mattress to help find the proper balance. Some of the people that can do this are Sleep EZ, Luma, Arizona Premium, Flo Bedsā€¦I may be missing some other from our member list.

I also attached a pic and the PDF brochure from 2013 and a screenshot from 2013 website of comforpedic.

I know this is really frustrating and difficult, keep chipping away at it, and you will get there I am sure. Please message if you have more questions, we are glad to help any way we can.

Thank you,
Sensei

I am in a situation that is frustrating and need some significant I am in a situation that is frustrating and need some advice. I Purchased a mattress from Relax The Back called a Pure Relax memory foam in a king size. This was apparently manufactured by anatomic global/FXI. I have asked for a replacement due to a sagging middle and they have agreed to a replacement.

I would actually prefer to get my money back, or be able to purchase something different through Relax The Back, but that is not how this works apparently. I have been offered to get a replacement Of either their Anew or rejuvagel lines. I have no idea which product is better, and cannot find much online to compare them. I am stuck picking between these two and have no idea what they even feel like. Relax The Back does not sell their product anymore, so that creates a barrier as well.

I have significant arthritis throughout my entire spine, but most of my pain is in my thoracic back. I do have fiber myalgia and auto immune disorders that creates significant joint and chronic pain issues. I can definitely feel anything, even a wrinkled sheet is sometimes painful in my sleep. I am a side and occasionally a back sleeper. I definitely need to know which way to go if you can help me out.

I have no idea if I put this question in the incorrect place, so if I did I apologize.

Thank you for any help you can give!

Hi Pwright1800,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

I moved your post to a new topic. I am sorry to hear about the multiple health conditions and about the sagging of your current mattressā€¦ I certainly understand your frustration and why you would rather have your money back than a replacement. As you found out in your research, there is little meaningful information about Rejuvagel (Rejuvigel) on their site or online in general, but you can read some comments on our site here about Rejuvigel.

Did you buy these at the Relax the back stores? Can you go and lay down and test the replacement mattresses? Or ā€¦ do you have to choose blind w/o having the chance to try them? I looked up Rejuvagel, it is Rejuvigel by FXI, and google search shows different retailers, none of these show any information on websites about the product specifications and other details.

As far as Anew mattresses go, I did find some specs:

Anew 5 Mattress
Description: 12" Plush
Warranty: 10/20
Cover: Super Stretch W/ PCMā€™s
2" Activus Foam
3" 4lb Gel Memory Foam
7" 1.8 @ 35 ILD Poly Base Foam

Anew 6 Mattress
Description: 14" Ultra Plush
Warranty 10/20
Cover Super Stretch W/ PCMā€™s
3" Activus Foam
4" 4lb Gel Memory Foam
7" 1.8 @ 35 ILD Poly Base Foam

Both of these products do not have any ā€œobvious weak linksā€ for a normal range BMI sleeper but it is impossible for me or anyone else to make a recommendation and tell which one would be better for you, it is different for every person. I am checking specs with an industry contact regarding the Rejuvigel and will update if I hear anything.

I am sorry to hear about the complex health issues you are experiencing. A forum search on fibromyalgia (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback from others that are in similar circumstances that may be helpful (but it will also confirm that there isnā€™t a single ā€œbestā€ combination of materials that will work for everyone with arthritis or fibromyalgia) and that nothing can replace your own personal testing, especially with specific health considerations. Youā€™d obviously want to consider something that allows for enough surface comfort while sleeping upon your side, that as assists with enough pressure point relief to help with some of your high sensitivity, while still overall being resilient enough and provide enough support while sleeping. Overall, the two basic functions of a mattress are to support and to provide comfort (you can read more about this here), with alignment usually being the first priority and then comfort coming second.

While we can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing.

Even though you may just be testing these replacements, the mattress shopping tutorial can be very helpful for many people. Additionally, this how-to guide lays out many of our foundational principles on TMU.

I look forward to finding out what you decide and will certainly return here to update if we find more meaningful spec details on the Rejuvigel.

Phoenix