Mattress Comparisons - Parklane vs. Big Name Brands

I am doing some shopping and it is very hard for me to compare big name brands with local manufacturers as the big name brands don’t like to give you too much info on exactly what’s in the mattress.

The two I am trying to compare are

and

I would ideally like to compare each of these to a model from Sealy/Simmons/Serta/S&F

For the Alder I found this one and thought it sounded similar, what do you think?

http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-black-kelyn-plfm-pt.html

Thank you!

Hi jpdwight,

This is very true and is one of the reasons why I wouldn’t spend much time testing the larger brands because if you don’t actually buy it, the only way in most cases to make any comparisons would be based on your own perceptions with side by side testing and even this would only show you how they compared in terms of “showroom feel” and would have little to do with quality or value which are also a big part of a mattress choice.

As you can see in the basic guidelines in post #1 here … I wouldn’t spend time testing a mattress where the specifics of what was in the mattress wasn’t available to me. This can lead to frustration and a lot of wasted time more than anything else. I would only test mattresses where I knew ahead of time that if I liked it the information about what was in it was available to me. This is part of step 3 in the guidelines which is all about making sure that any store you visit can tell you what is inside their mattresses or at least will tell you which ones that have this information available so you can limit your testing to these.

[quote]The two I am trying to compare are

and

I would ideally like to compare each of these to a model from Sealy/Simmons/Serta/S&F[/quote]

The only way to know how they compare in terms of feel and performance would be based on your own personal testing. To compare them in terms of quality and value (regardless of how they feel) you would need to know the specific layers in both. While this may be available with the Parklane mattresses… it won’t be available with the Sealy, Simmons, and Serta mattresses … at least to the degree you would need to make specific comparisons.

[quote]For the Alder I found this one and thought it sounded similar, what do you think?

www.us-mattress.com/simmons-black-kelyn-plfm-pt.html

Thank you! [/quote]

The Alder has an offset innerspring and the Simmons has a pocket coil so the support layers are already different.

In the comfort layers … the Alder uses a microcoil and gel memory foam and the Simmons has completely different components and layers and they don’t disclose the quality or specifics of any of them. In other words they are very different designs in both the support layers and the comfort layers although they may have some similarities in terms of how they feel to you.

The closest comparison you could make between them is that they both have an innerspring of some type but that’s where the similarities end in terms of their design.

Phoenix