mattress confusion, especially re: memory foam

Hello,

For years I have slept on a Stearns and Foster purchased 17 years ago. When my back started to hurt I decided to buy a new mattress and chose a Saatva because it was recommended by a friend. The Luxury Firm model was too soft; my back was actually worse. So I went to a brick and mortar store and purchased a very high end innerspring by Chattam and Wells. The first night I had to leave the room when I started to have respiratory problems. I read up on off gassing and started to air it out. After two weeks it still had a strange odor; I couldn’t sleep in it. I called the manufacturer who suggested they send out a new bed. They aired the mattress out before sending. Although it did not have a super strong odor, the fumes in the mattress continued and I could not tolerate it. Again, I aired it out. After two more weeks, I still couldn’t tolerate it. I was able to return it but am now paralyzed and indecisive about what to do next. I spoke with the owner of a family owned mattress store in a nearby town. He suggested I purchase a Chittenden and Eastman he says he has custom made. He said the problem was likely memory foam in the Chattam and Wells. The contents say 44% polyurethane; he says some of that could be memory foam and that most problems like mine, in his experience, are reactions to memory foam. Is this a thing? He mentioned fire retardants as well. I really want an innerspring, maybe a hybrid (rather than switching to latex) but I don’t want another experience with respiratory issues. The Saatva, btw, was fine–no off gassing. And I am currently sleeping in my son’s room on a Tuft and Needle. I have never been “allergic” to a mattress before so this is confusing. So sorry for the many details and length. Thanks for any help with this dilemma.

Hi lizzy3434,

I also suspect that you may be sensitive to some chemical in the memory foam. I suggest you stick with an innerspring mattress, more on the subject here this way you’ll avoid any allergens and get proper orthopedic support for your back.
I also have lower back issues in bed. I’ve found, that by placing a pillow between my knees when I sleep on my side that the pain goes away. My wife places a pillow under her knees as she sleeps on her back, this also helps support the lower back, and may get rid of back pain that is cause by poor support.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario