Mattress cover options

Ive decided to dive off into the DIY mattress project the other day. I’ll be repurposing my old Winkbed pocket coils on top of new layers of latex and possible memory foam. I am able to unstitch the kevlar and cleanly remove the top. I am a mainly side sleeper and feel that sinking into the mattress is what is best for support. The wool sounds like it will be not as giving as a bamboo/cotton cover. Will the pocket coils receive the side support they need if I were to leave the original firmer mattress cover bottom around the coils, then wrap the entire assembly with a bamboo/cloth cover that will allow more sinking into?

Hi gonefishin,

I am trying to follow your project here, but I am a bit confused. You mention the using the wink bed coils on top of new layers of latex. Are you attempting a dual sided mattress? You mention sinking in to the mattress is best for support.

I am not following that logic. If you sink too much into the mattress, depending on your size and weight, you risk hammocking and waking up with a back ache every morning.

You may want to consult with one of our TM’s who specialize in DIY mattresses, as just throwing some layers together with a cover does not always result in a well engineered mattress. @Sleep_EZ and @Arizona_Premium are a couple of TMU’s experts in DIY mattress construction and supportive builds.

Some tips to consider:

You choice for a mattress cover will certainly influence the decision of how your mattress feels. The mattress cover contributes to the overall feel, comfort, and performance of the mattress by influencing factors such as surface texture, temperature regulation, cushioning, responsiveness, noise and motion isolation, durability, and allergen resistance. It’s essential to consider your preferences and needs when selecting a mattress cover to ensure optimal comfort and satisfaction with your mattress.

You also want to ensure the integrity of your old coils in coordination of your height and weight to ensure you have the proper support for yourself and the foams you are intending to place on the coils. The weight of various mattress foams can influence the coils they are resting upon by affecting compression and support, conforming ability, durability, heat dissipation, and motion transfer. It’s essential for you to carefully consider the weight and density of foam layers when designing mattresses to ensure optimal comfort, support, and longevity.

The choice between wool and bamboo as a cover are each a fairly common choice. Both wool and bamboo offer unique advantages as mattress cover materials. Wool excels in temperature regulation, moisture-wicking, softness, and durability, while bamboo shines in breathability, moisture absorption, softness, sustainability, and antibacterial properties.The choice between wool and bamboo will depend on your own personal preferences, sleeping needs and priorities. Wool certainly has the advantage in the durability category.

While it may seem like an easy maneuver to create your own mattress, you want to be certain the money you are expending matches the desired results.

Hopefully this helps, although I know it did not fully answer your specific question.

Maverick

You actually helped a ton @Maverick ! I rushed through writing this morning and it sounded ok in my head before the coffee! Lol
Ive read that using a cotton/bamboo cover doesn’t always offer the side support/stability that a wool cover offers. I’m considering putting the pocket coils and the bottom half of the winkbed cover into a bamboo cover. My thought is that it will give the coils the stability they need on the bottom and the bamboo would give me the cushion and ability to give more than the firm wool. I have 3" of medium dunlop on order, and am hoping that it is not too hard. Im 5’11" and currently 280. I have wide shoulders and always feel that is my biggest pain point.

I’ve hopefully attached a photo to help better explain what i am wanting to do with the pocket coils

Why not just add a 1-1.5" HD base foam below the coils to give it the stability you are looking for. This will allow you more flexibility with your foundation and then you can contemplate what layers you want to place above the coils.

Part of the stability involving the cover will be due to how tight it is against the coils and foams. Certainly, whether the material has “stretch” or not will influence that stability. Wool tends to be thicker and denser than bamboo, which can contribute to better stabilization of the mattress. A wool mattress cover may provide more substantial padding and support, reducing motion transfer and minimizing disturbances caused by movement. If I were building my own mattress, I am a big wool advocate. As a matter of fact, as I have mentioned so many times here, I just replaced my synthetic mattress topper (a very good synthetic one) with a 3" wool mattress topper. What a difference wool makes. Since I have a super firm mattress, which my wife and I love, the wool kept that firm feel while giving an ever so slight bit of contouring and pressure relief.

I do have wool filled pillows, but I opted for my horsehair filled pillows on a regular basis as they have a bit more spring to them without being bouncy.

I suggest you go with the wool.

The Winkbed came with 1" foam above and below the coils, which I planned on reusing. My only concern would be the wool cover making the mattress too firm. I’ve heard that SoL medium is closer to firm and pocket coils tend to lean towards firm. I guess I should wait until the latex arrives and try sleeping on it on top of the coils with a sheet over it to see how it feels first before deciding on the cover?

Yes, one step at a time, evaluate after each step. It may take a bit longer, but you will find your comfort level and be done.

Sounds great and thanks again! I’ll update later this week once the latex arrives and I have a few nights to try it out!

1 Like

Good luck with it. As I look at that picture, it is hard to tell, but that layer of foam(presumably a transition layer) does not appear to be too dense, like a 1.8 or 1.5lb hd base layer should be. Hopefully, those two layers, the base and transition are dense and supportive enough. I suppose wink would not have used them if they were not, but check them non the less.

I appreciate that! It may be worth swapping out to be safe. They weren’t too helpful when i called them to find out what kind of coils were in the bed before i tore into it

1 Like

Additionally, it’s essential to inspect the spring support layer for any signs of wear and tear on the spring encasement fabric. In some cases, friction between the foams and the fabric can lead to fabric degradation, causing the springs to mis-align and warp. It’s crucial to prevent situations where a spring protrudes from the fabric, as this can result in inconsistent resistance compared to the rest of the springs.

You just want to cover all bases here as you are dealing with a combination of new and old product together.

You’ve been a huge help! Id rather cover all bases and replace it to be safe. Who would you recommend buying the hd foam base from?

1 Like

I would ask @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 or @diy. They should be able to point you in the right direction if they dont have those components for purchase. @Arizona_Premium may be a source as well.

1 Like

Our sister company DIYmattress.com has 6" HD foam available for purchase - HD Foam | DIY Mattress it’s a 1.5 pound foam.