Mattress cover

Strange, as that mattress encasement does not look like mine. Same product but the zipper on mine is located at the top, not 1/3 down from the top and has a rayon backing that is NOT stretchable. Mine has the words “organic cotton” on it and a completely different pattern. Bottom line, I did not receive the product as presented in their ad.

Like I opined in another thread, that really disappoints me as the ad indicates it’s s 4 way stretch mattress encasement. I’ve been contemplating putting on a topper as a solution like a 1" 19ILD to get my “cloud” and to eliminate the hammock effect but a conversation with Louis yesterday from Suite Sleep has me convinced me that is really not be a reasonable and viable solution. The top 3"’ slab of my DIY latex mattress is 19ILD so I’d like to take advantage of what I put together.

Anyway, I need to find out why my mattress encasement is different than the one that is featured in this thread.

Mark

Hi Mark in Texas,

I was talking to Shawn at SleepEz today (for other reasons) and I solved the mystery of why your cover was different.

The cover you received uses organic cotton and was recently introduced to accommodate their customers that wanted a more natural cover and where the material was more important than the stretch. It seems that they pulled the wrong one off the shelf for you and that they have now sent you the other one in addition to the one you received.

The square knit cover is a 4 way stretch and is more stretchy than the organic cotton version (even though both have the fire retardant) which is why your experience and the look of your cover was different from the other member that received the cover that is now being sent to you.

I’m glad to see the mystery was solved and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive the new cover

Phoenix

Jeremy (who handled the process/shipment) told me they didn’t pull the wrong one, they sent a unit that the seamstress has been directed to make from now on. Jeremy explained to me that as a manager sometimes he is the last to know and didn’t realize what was sent. Whatever… Am looking forward to receiving the product actually ordered and am appreciative of their fine service. But, they need to change the encasement photo and description IMO… just in case you talk to them again.

Am hoping the rayon fibers are woven in and as opposed to being a fabric backing that has no stretch. I’m getting a little gun shy these days. :frowning: I just want a stretchy encasement such that I can feel the plush latex I paid dearly for. As part of that “need to feel” thang I also ordered a mattress cover/protector that is soft and super stretchy. It is made by Suite Sleep. The Sam’s Club $38 Serta mattress cover has got to go! :slight_smile:
https://www.amazon.com/Suite-Sleep-Organic-Stretch-Mattress/dp/B005OLMLYI

Mark

When you receive the Sleepez case, the new stretch one, and the Sleep Suite stretch cover, I would very much appreciate a review. I have been following your threads as your wife and I are of similar height and weight. Can you tell me what layers you ended up purchasing and how you have them stacked? I would like to compare… still messing with my latex layers.

Thanks

Three 3" slabs of LI talatech. Starting at the bottom and working up - 36, 28, 19 ILD. I’ll try and remember to update this thread with photos. Cover will be here this Tuesday.

Hi Mark in Texas,

The “rayon fibers” are the fire barrier that is necessary to pass the 1632 and 1633 fire regulations which are a legal requirement for all mattresses (see post #4 here).

There are also differences between the design and functions of a mattress protector (see post #89 here), a mattress encasement (see post #2 here), and a mattress pad (see post #10 here) from a mattress cover (or tick as it’s known in the industry). Mattress protectors (like the one you linked) and encasements are mainly designed to protect a mattress that already has a cover or tick and have as little effect as possible on the feel of the mattress. Mattress pads are usually meant to fine tune the feel and performance of the mattress although some also function to protect it as well. Mattress covers or ticks will tend to be more durable and are meant to be part of the mattress itself and enclose all the materials and components to help it keep its shape as well as being part of the feel and performance of the mattress relative to its design goals.

Phoenix

Abraxas, I’m curious if you received the other case yet. I was told by Jeremy today that the 4 way stretch cover is a 100% cotton cover with a 100% rayon backing. I’m wondering which of these he’s describing.

Over a week ago I bought that Suite Sleep cover. Well, I tried to anyway. What I got is oatmeal colored with large loopy vines that are darker than the background. I thought I received the wrong product. I called The Clean Bedroom, which at the time of my sale was listed as the sold by shipped from company.

The Clean Bedroom had no record of me & I had just dropped $199.00. Then I noticed my invoice was from The Organic Mattress because TCB dropped the order to TOM. So I call them. The Organic Mattress sells this product, but had no idea that they had changed fabrics until I my call.

The Organic Mattress suggested I call Suite Sleep. At Suite Sleep I spoke with a very knowledgeable person, Angela O., who said that they had to change fabrics for a few reasons & that the fabric is GOTS certified organic, but not sewn in a organic shop, which is cost prohibitive & doesn’t diminish the quality. She also said I was only the second person to complain about the switch. Make of that what you will. :dry:

I am feeling sullen because I really wanted it to look like the pic, but I decided to keep it because it is organic cotton. The Organic Mattress people emailed & want me to be happy. They said they would take steps to see that the pic on Amazon is changed but after & seeing the same pic of the cover I wanted I wonder if people are receiving a different cover than they expected & hoped for, like I did. I explained to The Organic Mattress that people were going to be disappointed in not getting the depicted product. I also told them I think it will still be a good seller if people see the actual product picture.

It is stretchy.

I can see the design through my soft but not thick GOTS organic sheets in natural.

Hope you get what is pictured. Amazon.com

Just received that cover and a quick cursory glance after washing it, etc. suggests it’s exactly what I want. Very stretchy and of very high quality. Me and a friend are about to rebuild our latex mattress (received a new/replacement encasement) so I’ll post an update when that exchange is done.

Talk to Lewis Mirelez, Operations Manager for Suite Sleep, for more info. They sell the cover for $50 more than Amazon or thru other vendors in order to protect their retailers. You can buy the cover at Amazon for $159 shipped - Amazon.com

Mark

Please let us know about your new encasement and cover when finished…anxiously awaiting. Curious to know how both affect the feel of your latex.

Thanks so much!

EDITED 4-17-2014

The “new” encasement from SleepEZ is much more stretchable than the original “organic” one replaced. The rayon backing looks to be knit and also stretches both ways. The Suite Sleep mattress cover is also very stretchy and of high quality. It’s knitted 6" oversized on purpose… upon washing it shrinks to fit. There’s plenty of pocket depth in the stretchable skirt for thick mattresses. Both combined, casement and cover, there’s more feel to the 19 ILD topper with a very plush feel while having excellent support thanks to the medium and firm slabs below it.

This is a first night report on the “new” system. Here’s some pix.
[b]

Laying foam into encasement:

Positioning 19 ILD topper

Zipping up cover on new encasement:

Finished mattress with new encasement and new Suite Sleep cover:

Rayon backing on encasement showing knitting which DOES promote stretch. Cotton top is VERY stretchy:

Tough fabric bottom of new encasement with a side showing at bottom of photo:

Mark

Thanks so much! It looks really nice. Does the Sleepez case look like the one that someone originally posted? with a square type of pattern in the quilting? The picture of the bottom looks like thinner material… Does the case fit tightly and does it feel substantial?

I will definitely get the Sleep suite cover.

Thanks again Mark.

Hi Mark in Texas,

Thanks for the pictures … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

There’s a glitch in the forum software or code and some browsers have issues with attaching pictures. I’ve edited your post so that two of the pictures that showed up as a thumbnail show up inside your post and if you have any others that you want to add you’re certainly welcome to email them to me at the contact link at the top of the page and I’ll attach them to your post as well.

Phoenix

Hi Diane37,

I know you probably know this but just in case … the SleepEz is an actual mattress cover with a zipper that is meant to be part of the mattress itself and enclose the materials inside. The Suite Sleep is a mattress protector that is like a fitted sheet that is meant to protect the mattress.

Phoenix

Your cover does look like mine. It photographs looking lighter than my own. Both yours & mine are darker than the picture on Amazon and are in fact a different fabric. I am glad you posted so people can see it.

I think yours looks fab on your bed!

[quote=“Diane37” post=35574]Thanks so much! It looks really nice. Does the Sleepez case look like the one that someone originally posted? with a square type of pattern in the quilting? The picture of the bottom looks like thinner material… Does the case fit tightly and does it feel substantial?

I will definitely get the Sleep suite cover.

Thanks again Mark.[/quote]

Yes, it’s the same one - square pattern. As edited and stated, the rayon backing is knit and stretches as does the thick cotton top. Bottom is tough, sides are what they should be.

The Suite Sleep fitted cover is also of very high quality - super stretchy top and all sides, deep stretchy pockets, etc., soft cotton. It shrinks a lot upon washing.

Am darn happy with my choices!

Good luck,
Mark

Thanks K, we love the new master bedroom, it’s all new for our 10 year old house. I commissioned the construction of a solid walnut 5 piece bedroom suite that is really breathtaking to see in person. I have never seen such highly figured hardwood, better than gunstock quality - ribbons, swirls, burls. Finish begins with Watco Natural oil to “pop” the grain and seal the wood and then 3 coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer over that, each coat sanded with 400 grit paper. Did some touch up painting on the walls, new carpet, hung the TV and soundbar on the opposite wall above the chest of drawers, all new linens, etc. Got all the clutter out and off and into drawers, sold the 30 year old vinyl over particle board piece of crap bedroom suite.

Interesting but the 20 year old Simmons Queen mattress set we sold was still in great condition, very comfortable, with no body impressions.

Mark

1 Like

[quote=“Phoenix” post=35580]Hi Abraxas,

Thanks for the pictures … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix[/quote]

Well…we’ll jest have to slap each other on the butt, do a high fave and slug a brewsky ! :lol:

Thanks for the support Phoenix. Without it, this project would never have become a reality.

BTW, first night in the “new” bed was super comfortable. As noted previously, never would have expected such support from latex. My choices of 36 and 28 ILD for the 2 lower slabs worked. Motion transfer from partner to partner is virtually eliminated.

(Please note, original successfully edited.)

Much thanks to Jeremy and Shawn, operation managers for SleepEZ, who free gratis sent out a new mattress encasement. THAT is what service is all about. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Mark

Just noticed this PM and I think it’s fittin’ to share the info with all. Here’s the PM and my response:

[i]Hi Abraxas,

I read all of your posts and have probably spent 10 hours reading mattress underground to narrow down a mattress choice. If it isn’t too much of a pain, do you mind sharing exactly what latex, cover, and outer protector you bought and from where? I think you posted most of this info, but I wanted to confirm what you actually purchased. I’m also curious if you like the way your DIY project turned out and if the mattress cover I think you ordered of 8.5" actually fit over the three 3" layers of latex. Finally any thoughts on four layers vs three? 9" seems pretty thin for a mattress but maybe for latex it is normal. Thanks again, I can’t wait to finish this mini project!

Best[/i]

Howdy, already stated info on the encasement and cover above. The SleepEZ 10,000 cover is designed to encase 9" of foam and does it very well. There are no sags, held it tight and firm, but If I were a bettin’ man, I probably could work an 1" of foam over the 9" already encased. If I later play games with that choice I’d probably go with an inch of 14 ILD. If you’ve got romping kids, pets, or bed time activities that 14 might wear out in 4 years or so.

As to the guts…after weeks of research I found what I consider the best price and materials. Dunlop versus taladay, Radium versus LI versus chinese latex, ebay versus…you get the picture. :unsure: Won’t get into the “natural” versus blended debate but for durability, price and comfort I went with Latex International’s proprietary talalay Talatech synthetic latex/natural latex blend. Contrary to what others might tell you, it’s a 70/30 blend, not a 60/40, the latter being a sales pitch.

Three 3" slabs (yes, they are a full 3" thick), $100 per inch for queen size plus shipping, no tax, purchased directly from the company/manufacturer dba KTT Enterprises. You will NOT find a better price, plus you’re assured of getting the real deal. The Latex Intern. logo is molded into the side of the slabs. For support I went with 36 ILD (firm) and 28 ILD (medium) over that…for the plush topper 19 ILD (ultra-plush). Dick Coffery, the son of the founder and his chemist dad Bill, and wife Nancy Coffey run the plant/biz. They’ll do right by you and save you mega bucks. Maureen who works with Dick and Nancy is an excellent resource regarding choosing materials, etc. All have been in the biz for a long time.

I did a knock off of the Latex Bliss “Beautiful” at less than 1/3 the cost. FYI, Latex Bliss uses LI’s talalay foam. You asked about thickness… Latex Bliss uses 12" of foam in their “Beautiful” mattress - big time overkill. You can get where you want to go with a 9" thick mattress. List - $4,200 for the “Beautiful”. http://www.latexbliss.com/shop/mattresses/natural/pure-latexbliss-queen-beautiful-activefusion-regbase

Didn’t go with the Active Fusion foam either. Heard from a reliable source that it’s worthless, in the real world, and that’s all that counts, eh? :slight_smile:

Good luck,
Mark

Is there a big difference between the two different mattress covers shown in this thread? What is the advantage of the “stretch” version? We recently ordered the “special” from SleepEZ and received the organic cotton cover shown in Abraxas first post in this thread.