Mattress Covers/Quilting for DIY Latex Bed

Hi Pheonix

3rd thread this week :cheer:

So i’ve done solid testing on latex today and understand what I’m looking for in an all latex mattress.

I have come to two specific options:

A. Buy a PLB Pamper 8inch ($2100) + 3inch PLB Talalay topper ($500). So I was quoted $2700 before foundation by a retailer… for 11inch total (Can anyone else here find this cheaper?)

B. Order 3 layers consisting of 6inch firm dunlop or Talalay for support + 3inch medium firm + 2-3inch slow response soft talalay comfort layer for total of 11-12 inches total. And coming from Arizona this would be be roughly $1846 for just the three layers from what I’ve been able to gather.

I understand Arizona offers bamboo mattress covers… however even so, in my eyes it does not compare to the quality of the PLB cover/quilting. And definitely worth considering going with the premium of the PLB for buying locally.

My main question is, how can I get close to “replicating” or “matching” the mattress cover quilting/cover quality of a PLB/other bigger brands when doing a DIY mattress - instead of just enclosing the latex with a stretch or zipper cover? I figured I could bring the layers to a local factory here, however their quilting/mattress covers thus far have all been very “cheap” feeling as well…

Curious if you have any insight here.

All the best,
J.Hermanski

Hi hermanski,

Pure Latex Bliss mattresses have MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing) and there are some dealers that sell them for this but dealers are allowed to sell for less as long as they don’t advertise it. If you do decide on one of their mattresses there are some PLB dealers that will ship across the country listed in post #32 here that you can call to use as a pricing reference point and I would start by giving Jeff a call at Matt-To-Go who is one of the members of this site.

The slow response Talalay isn’t being made any more and has been discontinued. The slow response latex that they sell is continuous pour Dunlop from Latexco.

One of the stretch knit covers listed in post #4 here would probably be the closest approximation to the PLB cover that is available.

There are some comments about the SleepEZ cover here and here and the Mattresses.net cover here.

Phoenix

Hello,

I have been reading over many posts for the past few weeks and thought I would respond/query in this thread since I am looking at the Pure Bliss Pamper.

My husband and I have been sleeping on a foam mattress that we purchased while living in Europe (Germany). It is very, very firm and for the most part we like it. Since it was purchased in Germany, it is not American sizing. But luckily they have strict standards so we feel comfortable about the quality, off-gases, etc. We have decided to make that bed our guest bed and purchase a new (larger) one for us.

I live in Michigan and am very close to FoambyMail and FoamFactory. When I went to FoambyMail, I had a really bad feeling. It was dirty, unorganized and they could not answer my questions very well. I was suspect and started Googling away and that is how I found the Underground. After reading a lot of threads on MU about these two companies, I decided to check out Buis and Matt-to-Go. Both are great and very responsive. Unfortunately, I am not close enough to Buis for a personal visit anytime soon but Matt-to-Go is 15 minutes away. Jeff has been great. I have also been on the telephone with Arizona Mattress. They are also very good, but a DIY and/or ordering without trying is not for me.

We know we want a firm core but need to soften it up fsince I have been having a lot of shoulder issues and currently in physical therapy.

My husband (5’10" and 205 lbs) is okay with the Pamper with a two inch PLB topper but does not want it any softer. He would actually prefer no topper. I think a bit more cushioning is needed for me (5’4’ 150 lbs.). I am traditionally a stomach sleeper with some side. My husband is the same. However, since my shoulder problem I have been sleeping on my back. I hate being on my back to sleep and as soon as I can tolerate it, I hope to resume my normal positions of stomach and side! I think our too firm foam mattress is contributing to my pain and very knotted shoulder/back muscles.

I would like to take this one step at a time and just order the mattress for now, but think about the topper. Given the above, any tips on how to proceed?

Thank you very much for providing this forum and everyone I have talked to on your membership list has been great!

–GinGin

Hi GinGin,

It sounds like you’ve read these but for the sake of others that read your comments I would read this post and this post and this topic (about their polyfoam and sources) and this post (presumably from a past employee) before buying anything from Foam by Mail (AKA FBM and Foam Factory) or considering them as a reliable supplier.

If you are used to a very firm latex mattress then the Pamper is their firmest mattress as you can see in the PLB specs here and it would also make a good “base” for adding a topper.

Stomach and back sleepers tend to do best with a firmer mattress with a thinner comfort layer to help reduce the risk of alignment issues but when you are also a side sleeper then you would typically need some additional thickness/softness in the comfort layers that is “just enough” to relieve pressure without being so thick/soft that you would be compromising alignment in your other sleeping positions.

If you are currently only sleeping on your back and you have confirmed that the Pamper is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on the way you sleep now then it would make sense to start with just the mattress and then add an additional topper that is “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness when you decide to start start sleeping on your side once again.

When the time comes then post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to can help you use your sleeping experience on the mattress as a guideline to help you choose the type, firmness, and thickness for a topper that would have the best chance of providing the additional pressure relief you need with the least possible risk for alignment and of course you could also test the same mattress/topper combination when your shoulder is back to normal to confirm that it is a suitable combination for you as well on the same mattress before adding it to your sleeping system.

I would also make sure that you are using a suitable pillow because upper body shoulder pressure issues can also be a result of using a pillow that isn’t a good match for you in combination with the mattress you are sleeping on your side and when you sleep in multiple positions then a pillow that can be “scrunched” into different heights can make a good choice. There is more information about choosing a pillow in the pillow topic here.

In other words your approach makes sense to me :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for your response. The amount of information that I have found has been overwhelming and this site has helped a lot.

Jeff at Matt-to-Go suggested that I get a 2 inch topper of 19 IDL and my husband get the 28 IDL. The firmer topper is new(er) from Pure Bliss and he does not have a store sample to try yet. It would be best if both my husband and I could have the same topper but that may not happen. I am not sure I like the idea of two twin extra long toppers that are not in the same cover or fused together (we are moving on up to a King bed!). I am afraid of too much movement and don’t want a gap. Although two mattresses with individual slat systems is a very common arrangement in Europe for making one large custom bed.

If we get to the point where we do indeed want a topper then I may try to see if I could order one directly from a supplier that can be customized.

We did buy two latex pillows when we were trying the Pamper. We bought ones that can “squish” to our needs as you suggest.

Kind regards,

Gin

Hi GinGin,

I switched your posts and my reply to a new topic of its own.

Latex toppers are quite heavy and floppy and generally stay in place well on a mattress … especially with a mattress protector and sheets on top of them which would also help to keep them in place … but you could test the split topper when they get the firmer one in to see how you feel about the different firmness levels on each side and the transition in the middle or whether you would prefer a single firmness topper like the one you tested in the store.

There are also component mattresses available in the Detroit area where you can choose split layering with different firmness levels on each side of the mattress for couples who have different needs and preferences similar to a split topper but the split layers would be inside the mattress cover.

Phoenix