Mattress Deformity -- Need Advice

I have a full-size Simmons mattress purchased 4.5 years ago. Today while changing my sheets, I noticed a rather large depression in the dead center of the mattress – right where I sleep. I’m not sure how I didn’t notice it sooner.

I now have two issues to figure out. First is, can this be related to some ongoing joint/muscle issues I’ve been having? I will ask this of my chiropractor as well, but I’d also like to hear if anyone has had this problem and what can be done about it.

Second question is, am I right in thinking that this problem should not occur with such a new mattress? And do you think I would have any success going back to the store and mentioning it? I have paperwork describing a warranty, but honestly I can’t determine from that whether I got the warranty or if it’s still active.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Michael1973,

After 4.5 years the foams in the upper layers of your mattress (which are the weak link of a mattress) have probably both softened and developed impressions which could certainly be a cause of joint or muscle issues if you are sleeping out of alignment. Warranties will typically cover visible impressions that are deeper than the warranty exclusion which is typically 1.5" (see the Simmons warranty here) but not any foam softening which isn’t considered to be a defect … even if you can no longer sleep on the mattress without pain or discomfort.

To initiate a warranty claim you would normally call the retailer you purchased from who will usually arrange for an inspector to come out and measure the impressions, make sure there are absolutely no stains on the mattress, and make sure you have been using a suitable foundation (these are all warranty conditions that can void a warranty). They will then report the results of the inspection so that the manufacturer can decide if you have a valid warranty claim. There will usually be a charge for the inspection. You can also measure the visible impressions by putting a straight edge over the impressions and measuring their depth so that you can make sure that the impressions are deep enough to justify an inspection.

This is quite common after a few years with major brand mattresses which tend to use lower quality materials in the upper layers of a mattress. It’s even more common that there are “virtual” impressions where the foam has softened and the mattress has lost its comfort and/or support but the visible impressions aren’t deep enough to be covered by the warranty (see post #174 here). This is the reason I normally suggest avoiding major brands completely and buying from smaller manufacturers that use higher quality and more durable materials in their mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks for your input. I measured the impression and it definitely looks to be greater than 1.5 inches. Still, based on your comments, I’m wondering if the whole inspection routine would be worth it. It sounds like it would be costly and could drag on for a few weeks at least, without any guarantees. And all the while, I’d be sleeping on this bad mattress which is already causing me problems.

I’m not sure where you are in the country, but here in the Northeast there’s a chain of discount furniture stores where I could probably get a better quality mattress for half of what I paid for this one. I’m debating whether to go right for that option or to at least consult the store where I bought mine first.

In the meantime, do you have any immediate suggestions for dealing with this? I was wondering if I could put something in the depression to provide support, but I doubt I’d be able to find anything that was the exact shape and size.

Hi Michael1973,

I would definitely talk with the retailer where you purchased it first before deciding on what to do next.

If you do decide to look for a new mattress I would read the tutorial post here first so you can avoid buying a mattress that may be even worse and develop the same issues even faster (depending on the quality of the materials inside it). If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options I’m aware of in your area.

Post #4 here has some suggestions that may help on a partial or temporary basis for a mattress that has soft spots or is sagging but if it’s the mattress itself (not the foundation) then there is little that can be done outside of the suggestions there or replacing the mattress with a warranty exchange or a new purchase.

Phoenix

I live in Connecticut, specifically in the New Haven area.

Hi Michael,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in and around the New Haven, CT area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Of the places listed, IKEA is closest to me, but your comments seem to indicate you don’t find much of their product favorable. Next closest would be Restopedic. Just out of curiosity, which of theirs would you suggest and which should I avoid? I really want to avoid spending a fortune, but obviously there are other factors to consider.

Hi Michael1973,

Some of the Ikea mattresses are good quality and value and would be well worth considering if they are a good match for you in terms of PPP.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and preferences involved for anyone to suggest or recommend a specific mattress for someone else based on specs or theory at a distance so I’m happy to help with “how” to choose but the specifics of “what” to choose is up to each person (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I also don’t keep a record of the specific construction of all the mattresses at all of the retailers or manufacturers that I list in the various lists around the forum (which would be an impossible job in a constantly changing market).

I would just follow the steps in the tutorial post and choose the mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP (using the testing guidelines) and make sure that there are no obvious weak links in the mattress in terms of the materials (see post #4 here).

I think highly of Restopedic and they would be a manufacturer that would be well worth considering for anyone that was in reasonable driving distance no matter which of their mattresses is the best match for the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix