Mattress Direct

Hello!
I just went through a search for a new mattress. Ugh, what a pain! After my divorce I inherited a cheap bed that we had purchased in 1996. IT WAS TIME to invest. So, I decided on a memory foam. I looked at many stores and yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered a bed at the Mattress Direct store. The sales man had directed me to a knock off that Mattress Direct manufactures themselves that competes with the tempurpedic cloud. He explained that they had created it and then tempur-pedic created a law suit, so they had to go back and add another layer of firmness, so not to compete with the existing patent. Has anyone heard about this story?
Overall, the bed felt fine in the store. Their policy is to try the bed for 30 days, if I do not like it there is a $95 restocking fee. They did throw in two memory foam pillows and a mattress cover. I paid $2001 for a king. The warrantee is via Mattress Direct. It will be delivered on Saturday,…so we will see. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi sklein,

That’s a new one on me … and I suppose that the “expected” reply to the story would be something along the lines of … “wow … not only is it a knockoff but it’s better than the original because it has some extra layers!”. At least it’s a creative marketing story.

Tempurpedic did initiate a law suit against many manufacturers that was about their design patent but it was dropped when the defendents threatened to request a patent review which could easily have invalidated the Tempurpedic patent.

Hopefully you questioned them about the details of all the layers including the foam densities so you know the quality of all the materials in your mattress … and of course how it may compare in quality and design to the Tempurpedic mattressses they are saying theirs is similar to (or other memory foam mattresses as well).

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick feedback. I will grab the receipt tonight and find out the exact name of the mattress.

Hi sklein,

The name of the mattress is only a label and doesn’t matter much. It’s always knowing the details of each layer of the mattress (the density and thickness in the case of polyfoam and memory foam) that gives you the ability to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses and determines the quality and value of a mattress.

Phoenix