Mattress for 1-5 years?

I recently moved to a loft which only has room for a full size bed. Since I wont be in the apartment for more than 5 years, I am debating which mattress option to pick since I know I won’t have it very long.

I’m a 28 year old guy 5’10 170 lbs. Mostly a back and sometimes side sleeper. Would like something natural as I don’t want to sleep on a mattress bathed in flame retardant etc. I have tried latex and found dunlap to be more comfortable than talallay. Considering the 3 options below.

1. Ikea Morgongava - $800 USD
  2. Organic Embrace Opus 8 -$2,000 USD
  3. Sleep EZ ranges from 1250-1550 depending which thickness I get.

I have tried the first two and the Organic Embrace was definitely more comfotable than the Ikea, but the IKEA was decent. I have no way of trying the Sleep EZ though. I can afford all the options, but would rather go on the cheaper side since I will ultimately get a queen mattress when I move in a few years

Does anyone have any thoughts on those three mattress and suggestions as to what makes the most sense in my situation?

Thank you

Hi ssquared,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Latex in general is the most durable type of foam material but it’s also the most costly and if you don’t need a mattress that will last you more than 5 years then it may be worth considering mattresses that use lower quality and less durable materials that are in lower budget ranges.

Most mattresses today use “non chemical” inherent fire barriers either quilted in the cover or as a sock around the interior layers and components of the mattress. There is more about the different methods that can be used to pass the fire regulations in post #2 here and post #4 here and post #4 here.

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else or how two mattresses will compare in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) … outside of PPP (which is all about how well you will sleep on a mattress) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it (which is all about how long you will sleep well) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

All three of the mattresses you are considering use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them that would compromise durability but all of these would last much longer than your 1 - 5 year criteria. I would use the link to the quality/value guidelines earlier in this reply to help you decide which of them would be the best “value” for you based on “comfort and PPP” and the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you but you certainly don’t need to be in higher budget ranges or only be looking at latex to find a mattress that would meet the criteria you mentioned.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any or the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

The tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well.

Phoenix