Mattress for my Class A RV

Have had many mattresses over the years from air beds, to water beds, to spring coils and memory foam. Sleep now on a 10 year old memory foam bed in a box mattress that I have been very happy with till late. I’m 61" and 250 lbs. Wife is 56" and 120 lbs. Both are mainly side sleepers.
But my question is about my RV. The 1999 Foretravel class A diesel pusher mattress is original. Coil mattress. Its fairly comfortable, but needs replacement. It sits on top of a plywood base with a large diesel engine under. There is insulation there, but still can get warm. Head room is a issue with a ceiling fan above, so not real thick mattresses are good there.
I once bought a latex topper on amazon that might have been to soft, and had to send it back. So I am a bit hesitant on latex, but want a natural product, and is comfortable. I like to sleep and take naps, and at 61 seem to need it more. I retire this year and plan on sleeping on this RV mattress 90%.
So my question is about latex on that kind of surface. Will it have issues with the heat? I was planning on a 9" mattress with multiple latex densities and wool top. I also am going to install a Froli sleep system traveler. Its a series of thermoplastic springs that sit under the mattress giving some spring to it, while allowing air to circulate under. You can customize the firmness of it. Built for boats originally, it can be used anywhere.
What densities of latex for each layer would be good/ideal in my situation?
Would the heat from the engine damage the latex or make it softer?
Should I have wool under the latex to insulate it?
Would 9-10 inches be sufficient for my weight and style of sleep?
What other thoughts would you have with this setup?
Did a search first but didn’t find anything like my situation.
Thanks for your time to ponder these questions…
Bob

Hi Bobfnbw and thanks for reaching out! a 9" or 10" latex mattress would be perfectly fine for anyone under 300 pounds so there’s no problem there. Using a latex mattress in a high-heat environment will cause it to break down sooner than normal, and it could break down much sooner than normal. I wouldn’t be able to say in advance how much sooner, and having wool between the foundation and the mattress will help slow the process down, but I wouldn’t be able to say how much it will help. I would say the same thing for the Froli sleep system as well. My best advice would be to consider a poly-foam mattress (I would stay away from memory foam) because poly-foam mattresses will last longer than latex and memory foam in that environment.

I’d be happy to make a recommendation for the layer configuration, but first, if you don’t mind me asking, do either of you have anything like fibromyalgia, shingles, chronic hip pain, chronic shoulder pain, or anything where you’re especially sensitive to pressure? Do either of you prefer an especially soft or especially firm mattress?

thank you for your response. I suspected something like heat and latex might not be the best.
Yes, I have both chronic hip and back pain, also a bad neck. Wife has less of that but has had knee surgery. I don’t like a real soft mattress. The current one is a bit to hard IMO. Wonder if polyfoam as a base and a wool topper might work. But I would like to hear your recommendations. I would like to get at least 10 years out of the next mattress. Still want the froli system to keep air circulating under the mattress.Thanks for taking the time.
Bob

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the TMU Forum :slight_smile: !

Thanks for your questions to expert trusted member Latex Mattress Factoryregarding your RV mattress replacement project. LMF has deep knowledge/ experience in this category and will offer comfort suggestions to better guide you in the decision making process.

Thanks too @LatexMattressFactory for your quick response and excellent consumer support. Looking forward to hearing more of your process Bob, feel free to drop in with updates when you can.

Cheers,
Sensei

OK thanks for the additional info. If you were to purchase an all-latex DIY mattress I would recommend medium Talalay over firm Talalay over extra firm Dunlop for your side of the mattress and soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for her side. However, since you’re looking for a mattress that will last 10 years while sitting right over a diesel engine, I don’t think latex will be the solution for you, and our warranty normally wouldn’t cover the mattress in such an environment (our DIY mattresses aren’t covered by any warranty anyway). You’re welcome to try it if you’d like, it’s absolutely your decision, but I wouldn’t be able to make any promises in terms of longevity, and that goes for an all-latex mattress or even for our Luxerion, which is a latex and poly-foam hybrid. Your best bet may be to look at an RV website or ask the question in the general forum to see what other sleepers have done used in high-heat environments to get a 10-year mattress that is comfortable for both you and your wife.

OK. Thanks for your time and expertise.
Bob