Mattress for Scoliosis

My scoliosis demands that I begin the mattress shopping process. I would rather go to the dentist than shop for a new mattress. I sleep primarily on my back and side. My wife sleeps on her back, side and stomach. My physical therapist has steered my clear of memory foam as it tends to be warm and the indentations do not rebound quickly. My wife suggested that we buy a mattress made by one of the Big S’s, a Westin Heavenly Bed or a Starwood sleeper. I am convinced that better alternatives exist for quality and pricing but am mot sure where to start looking. Our last mattress was from Verlo. Verlo was recently bought out by the private equity arm of the Marcus Corporation so that tends to support what I have read here on “Mattress Underground”. Am looking for places to start the mattress shopping process that are preferably not the Big S’s or part of a chain. Any input on this topic would be appreciated/

Hi LowBackPain64,

I would keep in mind that there is no such thing as a mattress or a material that is “best” for any specific condition … only a specific mattress that is the best match for your unique needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict which mattress may be “best” for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands or any other mattress that includes either lower quality materials or unknown materials in the comfort layers … see the guidelines here).

I would also avoid hotel mattresses (see post #3 here).

Once you reach step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix