Mattress height/depth selection

Hi! I’m new and have been shopping for a latex mattress. I’ve decided after looking around here for a few weeks on a Sleep Ez. I’ve talked with Shaun and read Phoenix’s input on the feel of Dunlop vs Talalay , etc. Hardest thing is, of course, actually getting to LIE on a comparable mattress locally (MN)! I am leaning toward the 10000 OR the 13000 in the natural talalay with the organic covers. I am 58, have some hip pain and low back pain due to athletic injuries over the years, my query is: right now, I am 5’ 7" and I hate to admit… my weight is around 200, but I have lost and am losing more, with about another 40 to go in the next six months to year. Will a 10 inch mattress be sufficient support for me NOW, or should I go with the 13 "? Shaun thinks it might be overkill, but I don’t want to make a mistake I can avoid? I’m thinking of a soft/med/firm talalay in the 10000 or a soft/M/F/EF on the 13000. Thanks.

Hi welshie55,

[quote]
Hardest thing is, of course, actually getting to LIE on a comparable mattress locally (MN)! I am leaning toward the 10000 OR the 13000 in the natural talalay with the organic covers.
[/quote].

Depending on your area … there may not be an exact or even closely comparable mattress except perhaps in the most general sense (soft firm etc) because every difference between two mattresses in terms of the type of material (or the type and blend of latex), the thickness of the layers, the ILD of the layers, and the type of cover and quilting will make a difference in how a mattress feels and performs. There is more about “matching” one mattress to another in post #9 here.

Local testing can be useful to know how you feel about different types of latex and in general terms whether you prefer softer or firmer comfort and support layers but unless the local mattress you are testing is almost identical to an online purchase, the options you have to customize the layers before a purchase or re-arrange or exchange them after a purchase may be an important part of each person’s personal value equation so with a reasonable accurate initial choice you can fine tune the mattress based on your own actual experience.

A knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer like SleepEz will know much more about their own mattresses and how well they normally “match” different body types and sleeping styles “on average” than anyone else and are the best source of guidance other than your own personal testing on a mattress that is very close to being the same design (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more information about the effect of thicker layers and/or a thicker mattress in post #14 here.

If you are in the Minneapolis area there are several retailers or manufacturers that have similar types of component latex mattresses in the Minneapolis list here.

Phoenix

Okay! I was working near Galleria in Edina, MN yesterday and got my one (and apparently only!) chance to lie of a true latex mattress at Gabbert’s Funrniture. Pure Latex Bliss models. Hated to tell the salesperson that I’m still going to buy from Shawn at Sleep Ez, but at least I tried a latex. I loved it. Tried all three models they had: World’s Best Bed (way too soft), and then both the Beautiful and Nature models, and I liked both of those for different reasons I can’t articulate… I think I’m going to be happier with a med to med soft latex, so I’m going to get a 10000 Talalay from Shawn as soon as I can. However, I still remain confused about Sleep Ez’s Talalay. Shawn seem to recommend that there is no difference in feel between his two Talalay offerings, and that the only reason to go with the more $245 more expensive 100% natural is from a Green standpoint, but IS there a difference in durability/compression between blended and 100% natural over time? (I forget now if Sleep Ez is 100% or “just” natural…I have learned that much so far!) It’s kinda hard for me to find exactly what I need in searching the forum topics. Oh, yes, and as I have collies that sleep with me, what kind of protector do you like that doesn’t goof the feel of the mattress but protects it from, well…from dog. :slight_smile: Wool? Hopefully they won’t want to herd it :slight_smile:

Hi welshie,

Post #2 here has more information about the differences between blended talalay and 100% natural Talalay but Shawn is right that in practical terms they are functionally more similar than different and differences in design and layering would make a bigger difference than the differences in the material itself. SleepEz offers both but of course the 100% natural Talalay is more costly than the bend.

That would depend on the likelihood of “accidents” and the importance of waterproof vs water resistant and your budget. Post #89 here has more information about some of the differences and tradeoffs between different types of mattress protectors. If “waterproof” is most important to you then the thinner membrane type would probably be the best choice even though they are less breathable and may affect sleeping temperature.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks so much for all your help. I ordered the Sleep Ez 10000 today in (surprisingly enough to me) the blended talalay. I was so, so sure I was going to get the natural with organic cover, but the thought that just MAYBE the blended might last longer was the deal maker for me. Shawn said the feel is the same and that the jury is still somewhat out on absolutely definitive answers on how long the 100% natural lasts since it’s relatively new in the last 15 years.

Thanks a bunch for all your help. Can’t wait for it to arrive next week with the pillows. Now I just have to decide if I’m going to put it on slats or plywood. Leaning toward adding more slats. Thanks again.

Hi welshie55,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you did some good research and ended up making a great choice. Best of all of course you still have options to customize the mattress after the purchase if that becomes necessary.

I would personally “vote” for slats (see post #10 here).

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received your mattress and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks so much for all your help. I went with the Talalay 10000 from Sleep Ez. It arrived via UPS on Thursday as Shaun promised, and I set it up in no time at all. I chose the single layers rather than splits and even so they were not too unwieldy to deal with. I didnt’ fuss too much about being perfectly square and the organic cotton cover fit perfectly. It zipped really easily. I thought the cover would be more snug, but I’m sure it’s fine. I topped it with a Luna pad to avoid any doggie accidents which is the only down side.

I really hate to step out too early but it is the best bed I have even had. After only three nights I have far, far less neck and upper back and shoulder pain. The jury is still out on the hip pain, but that may be a function of sports injury and arthritis…

Thanks you for all your help and advice. I also go the discount! Latex is the only way to go.

Welshie

Hi Welshie55,

Thanks for the update … and it’s great to see you’re doing so well with your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix