MATTRESS HUNTING

Hello, I recently found this website and it seems spot on. I am finding in many different product markets that value is based on deceit and misinformation(or a lack of information) as opposed to value and the health of the user of the product. So thank you for making this site.

My background is that I live in Rhode Island but work in Hartford, CT. I’m male 5’10" and weigh 155lbs, as I get fitter I doubt I will ever exceed 180-190. I have always slept on innerspring beds with pillow tops from the “S” companies as it were and have no base point of comparison for other materials. I only know my boyfriend says my bed is saggy/too soft and although I am more used to it than him I tend to agree in that I do not sleep very well. I am not aware of a company around here that is not a “S” company. My bed is over 10 years old and it is time for a new one. I have read through the information on this site. I am working on getting used to back sleeping just to be in as proper and equal a posture while I sleep as possible but I can sleep in any position. For the sake of choosing though, back sleeping is my primary position.

I sleep hot, Latex for all of the reasons you have mentioned seems to be the best material for me, I am willing to spend the extra money. I am not limiting myself to that though, that is just where I am at right now. I have found no latex mattresses around here to try latex out.

Since I have not found anything around here I have been looking online, specifically at companies you said were good online choices in a previous post. However, if you are aware of any mattress retailers/manufacturers around here where i can get hands on with a mattress before buying it that would be great. Either way, I looked at some companies that were listed and 1 stuck out but I had some questions.

That company was cozy pure. They state they have organic construction and are solar powered which is not a sticking point but more-so an added benefit. They state organic cotton cover that is stretch knit as opposed to woven and quilted with wool which serve both as a breathable moisture wicking layer and a natural fire retardant. They state the way they construct this quilting layer is high-quality and beneficial both in comfort/feel and that they use different tensions at different points in the quilting of the mattress to zone it. The bottom is also quilted so you can use both side with the bottom being a firmer feel, and it is zipper closed so you can adjust the contents of the mattress and launder it as needed. It is delivered fully assembled
They state the support layer is dunlop latex that is 6 inches thick that is zoned out to in; head/feet, lower legs/shoulders, and the middle zone is thigh/hip/lumbar. The zoning is equal so that when you rotate the mattress it is the same zoning. That is their base mattress. Then they have an option of a 3 inch comfort layer made of dunlop latex with a density of your choosing, and/or a 1.5 inch soft egg crate layer made of dunlop latex which they state egg crate up is softer and egg crate down is more springy/supportive. Those are the 4 base mattress options they offer. Any of them come with 2 free latex pillows. Also as a plus you get 20% off of their organic bedding if you have purchased a mattress from them.
Due to the different mattresses being made in different depths naturally you cannot adjust the base mattress or the base mattress that comes with 1.5 inch eggcrate with a 3 inch support layer later, you can only have up to 2 1.5 inch egg crate layers in those 2 models, but the other models have more room and can support both 1 3 in layer and 1 1.5 in layer.

Shopping online is risky so I am approaching this cautiously. I called and gave my background and was told that any of their mattresses are good choices but since I am lighter I would probably find their base mattress with a 3 inch soft comfort layer to be best since i do not have as much weight to support, then he gave the general sales pitch. I asked what if I wanted to adjust and trade out a comfort layer, he stated they do not accept used latex and that I would have to buy a new comfort layer for a couple hundred dollars and would keep the old comfort layer since they cannot resell used latex. I asked what if the bed was a bust and it was not working out, he assured me their beds are high quality construction and they rarely ever have people with issues but if I did they would not be able to accept the bed back because it is used latex.

So I came out of that conversation a little confused and feeling a purchase from them carried a fair amount of risk, however their beds are adjustable and they also sell a latex slip on pillow top separately(they state pillow tops wear quicker and need to be replaced more often, which I have found to be true) for when it needs to be replaced.

Here is why I am confused. The website makes it seem like you can just send back and swap layers with minimal expense, although no price is listed that I have found. Also the website states a full return policy withing 30 days, "100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
If for any reason our products do not meet your expectations, we will replace it, issue a store credit, or give you a refund – whichever you prefer – within 30 days of purchase
(see return policy below for more details regarding restrictions).

RETURN POLICY
Returns for exchange or store credit must be made within 30 days of purchase. For refunds, you must return items within 30 days of purchase in new condition - no exceptions. Items must be returned in their ORIGINAL condition to be eligible for replacement. We may have to charge a restocking fee for items not in the original container, or if the item was custom produced. All shipping costs are the responsibility of the customer in the event of a cancellation or return of merchandise. Please remember to include your original receipt, or a copy, and also specify your preference for exchange or store credit. Item(s) returned soiled, stained, laundered or used will NOT be accepted for return.

Under federal law, we cannot accept returns on bedding. If you are unsure about an item, please order ONE to test if you like first. If you are interested in mattresses, please contact us at 1.800.229.7571 Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM EST. All special-item, custom-made orders that have been placed into production and/or shipped cannot be canceled by the customer and will be subject to a minimum 20% restocking fee, and any other expenses incurred by CozyPure®, including credit card transaction and reversal fees and shipping costs. Since the mattress is not returnable, we want to make every effort to assist you in the selection of the perfect model based on comfort and materials. If you are not sure about firmness levels and have apprehension we suggest you purchase a mattress through your local retail store so you can test it first, since we can not accept returns. Also although most of our products are chemical-free and the majority of people find them to be a healthy alternative to conventional items, we cannot guarantee against individual chemical sensitivities. We do not treat our mattresses with PBDE’s or other toxic chemical fire retardants. "

This seems a little underhanded, 30 day money-back guarantee however it cannot be used during that period of time. I appreciate the honesty of the individual on the phone and that makes this ever so slightly less of an issue BUT this return policy clearly seems deceitful. I would imagine it is impossible for them to determine if it was used though, especially since they accept items not in the original packaging, however that is at the expense of a restocking fee. Shouldnt be an issue as long as I do not spill anything on it however.

So I was sold before seeing the return policy. They are a little bit on the more expensive side so I am viewing this company as a high risk proposition. Other companies appear to offer reasonable return policies so I do not know what to make of this sooooooooo QUESTION TIME!! :smiley:

Firstly, I know they are a member of this site but considering their return policy what do you make of this company? Is it a fantastic product but just crappy return policy? They state they do not accept returns under “federal law” yet I have seen better return policies elsewhere on similar items, is there really a federal law about this? It sucks but I vetted several sites for about a week and a half in my free time, picked this company and then was dashed. However I am not completely ruling them out just yet.

More generally, based on my body type and sleep preference what would you recommend I purchase? Are there any other companies you could recommend(at this point I am just kindve exhausted with this)? I see comfort sleep systems that I am looking into and also spindle mattress that are both close enough to try out, any specific recommendations of their products based on my body type and preferences?

Also a question about pillows. Proper posture would seem to dictate that I do not use a pillow as that would push my head forward out of alignment. Shouldnt a mattress on its own be able to provide that support? Or should I just get a super lightly filled pillow? I never understood the concept behind pillows for back sleepers.

I am sorry that was so long but I am spent for the time being and figure i could use some advice.

Thank you for your time and attention and thank you for making this site.

Hi Netslum,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here and the links that it includes which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best choices.

Post #2 here has more information about the many factors that combine together to affect sleeping temperature. Latex is the most breathable of all the foam materials that are generally used in comfort layers but the sleeping temperature of a mattress also involves other variables besides just the type of foam used in the comfort layers of a mattress (including the type of cover and quilting, the type of mattress protector you use, and your sheets and bedding) so it’s only one of the things that can affect sleeping temperature.

Post #2 here includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Hartford and general Connecticut area and the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Providence, RI area are listed in post #4 here.

Return or exchange policies are built into the cost of a mattress because a company that accepts returns needs to dispose of the product that was returned and can no longer sell it as new (see posts #24 - #26 here). The importance of a return or exchange policy and the risks involved with any mattress purchase is part of each person’s personal value equation so there is no “right or wrong” with this … only options that are more or less important to different people. Just to clarify as well … it’s illegal to sell a returned mattress or product as new but it’s not illegal to accept returns … even for bedding (although a return policy is built in to the cost of a mattress or other product and the people who don’t return a mattress or bedding product pay for the ones who do).

You can see the options that are available to customize the Pure Performance mattresses here and in the case of the Custom Cozy they allow a comfort exchange at no cost (except for shipping in both directions) for the 3" comfort layer. As far as I know … the 30 day satisfaction guarantee is only for products that aren’t used and where you decide that you don’t want to keep the product after receiving and seeing it … it’s not a “trial” offer that allows you to use it first.

As you can see in post #11 here and in post #2 here … I think very highly of Cheryl and Cozy Pure. A forum search on Cozypure (you can just click this) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone (including me) to make specific comfort or materials suggestions based on specs (either for you or a mattress) or using a formula or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). When you can’t test either the same or a very similar mattress in person (and a similar mattress may not be available in retail stores that are close to you) then your more detailed conversations on the phone with the manufacturer is the best way to decide on which mattress has the best chance of being the most suitable choice and the options you have available to customize the mattress after a purchase would also become a more important part of most people’s personal value equation.

If the Boston is also close to you then in addition to the previous links then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the general Boston area are also listed in post #2 here.

The tutorial post also includes a link to a list of the members of the site that sell latex mattresses online that include a wide range of different options, features, designs, types of latex, prices, and return or exchange policies (it’s in post #21 here to save you looking through the tutorial).

There is more about choosing pillows that would be suitable for different body types, sleeping positions, and perhaps most importantly of all different preferences in the pillow thread here and the other posts and sources of information it links to.

Phoenix